Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamiya T-72 to Soviet T-72A
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 12:01 PM UTC
Base coat done, the shading looks a little better in real life - trust me

Paul
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
Quick progress. Looks great. I always struggle with how light/dark the base coat should be and how glossy. Really waiting for more progress. Any markings planned?
DK
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quick progress. Looks great. I always struggle with how light/dark the base coat should be and how glossy. Really waiting for more progress. Any markings planned?
DK

Hi Dimitry !

Thanks for the comments.

I'll do highlights tonight / or tomorrow morning..

I'm trying new colors and processes for Soviet armor ATM. So after this base, I'll do the Nato Green / Yellow Green highlights and then seal it with Vallejo Model Air Satin Varnish (Clear Coat) prior to weathering / washes. I tried Future a while ago and didn't like the outcome.

The two Leopards 1's seemed to come up well with the Vallejo, so I'll use it for the next few models and see how it goes. So far so good.

Markings will be Soviet and the tank crew will be the old Dragon # 3010 (1:35 World's Elite Force Series) in Dark (rather than tan) Uniforms with Hornet Heads or TaNK heads (I have a packet of each for Post war Soviet tankers).

The three figs "in the tank" will be ones I use.

The only markings I have are those in the Tamiya kit.

Would it be approriate to use those including the Guards emblem on "the light" if this machine is out on manoeuvres ?

I will check some photos as I can cobble up some different numbers using a few sheets of decals I have from Skif kits.

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 04:09 PM UTC
Highlights done (85 % Nato Green & 15 % Yellow Green)

Next step is the Satin Clear coat, decals, and detail painting (then weathering ).

BTW: There is a little 'Maskol' under the highlight color in some areas, this will be scraped off for "damaged" areas

Cheers

Paul
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 04:34 PM UTC
Looking VERY nice. This just makes me wanna get out there and start another project and leave the others unfinished
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 07:23 PM UTC
Thanks Sean, I'm on this Soviet / Russian kick at the moment

Here's a pic of the glacis with the Maskol removed showing the damage / chips. This one is going to be pretty 'beat up' I think.

Not the best pic - but you get the idea I guess. Just trying something different that I've seen used somewhere else with success..........

Now as far as decals go, am I ok to have a "Guards " symbol on the mantlet search light (this tank being on maneouvres) ?

Or is that Guards symbol only shown on that part of the tank on parade ? I can't find a pic of the symbol there apart from Parade versions.....

Cheers

Paul
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 09:53 PM UTC
I've seen the guards emblem on tanks in the field on a few photos.

Both late Soviet and Russian Federation style on various Tanks. Although like you Paul I'm not sure how common it was near the end of the Soviet Union.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen the guards emblem on tanks in the field on a few photos.

Both late Soviet and Russian Federation style on various Tanks. Although like you Paul I'm not sure how common it was near the end of the Soviet Union.

Yeah I'm sure I saw them somewhere too Jon..

It'd be nice to find a pic of a T-72A with a Guards emblem AND a number

Anyone ??

Cheers

Paul
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 01:31 AM UTC
Let me have a look though my stuff tonight. Where are our resident T-72 experts when you need them !?! That said, the guards emblem is hard to pull off well - just to bright!
Dmitry
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me have a look though my stuff tonight. Where are our resident T-72 experts when you need them !?! That said, the guards emblem is hard to pull off well - just to bright!
Dmitry

Yes the emblem will need to be dulled back a bit with Dust etc.

They were definately used outside of parades. I have found some pics in The Tank Magazines: "T-72 and Russian Fighting Vehicles". I picked it up on Evil-Bay a little while ago now.

Here is the pic of the book cover I found on the net.

I can't scan the images inside (I don't have a scanner), but the book has quite a few really nice pics of all sorts (including Guards Divisions out of maneouver ),

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?99988-Russian-Photos-(updated-on-regular-basis)/page1405" TARGET="_blank"> http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?99988-Russian-Photos-(updated-on-regular-basis)/page1405

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 10:48 AM UTC
Satin clear coat on now...

I'm going to touch up some of the darker areas which I think need lightening (front fender etc).

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC
Paint fixed a little, decals added and sealed again with Model Air Satin coat:

The rubber skirts will be black (Vallejo Model Black / Field Grey 50 / 50 I think).

The next step is detail painting (adding the missing bits) and weathering

Can someone give me a link / reference for the black tank crew uniform in color please ?

Including any markings ?

Cheers

Paul
Kocic
Visit this Community
Novi Sad, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 08:45 AM UTC
Paul,
i love your T-72A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great work! Go on!

Somewhere in my storage i have also the Tamiya kit, the SP glacis, Eduard etched parts and now i only need the Miniarm turret to start. Your work motivate me to do my own T-72A! Thanks!

Igor
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 04:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
i love your T-72A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great work! Go on!

Somewhere in my storage i have also the Tamiya kit, the SP glacis, Eduard etched parts and now i only need the Miniarm turret to start. Your work motivate me to do my own T-72A! Thanks!

Igor

Hello Igor !

Thank you for your comments and I hope to see your T-72A soon !!

I have painted the skirts black (in the approriate areas), and I am shading the gun mantlet canvas cover. I am making it light green, but I need to make the shades and highlights believable. Hopefully it'll come out Ok.

The Tow cables have been painted as has the unditching log. I now need to assemble the AA gun and paint it. I hope to have most of the weathering done this weekend.

BTW: I like to do a little weathering at a time and review the results, step after step, rather then trying to do it all quickly and overdoing things

The figures will come quite a bit later - I am back at work and very busy at the moment..

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 09:06 PM UTC
The old Dragon Crew kit.

I'll try "Hornet" or "TaNK" heads on the three crew members...

Should the commander have the Red Flag or Binoculars ?

Thoughts please ?

Cheers

Paul
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 09:22 PM UTC
Hi Paul, what Tank head set did you use?

Bear in mind that most modern Russian tank helmets have 6 ribs, the DML set has 4 ribs, not sure about the Hornet set but I expect thats similar?

You might find that the Tank set is in the modern russian 6 rib, as most of theirs are I think.

WW2 and postwar (50s-60s)4 ribs were common, If the DML Tankers set is anything like the DML Motor Rifles I built they will be late Soviet (1980s). It's not uncommon to have a mix of helmet styles (i've seen some 1980s examples of 4 rib) but just bear that in mind, if you intend to depict a late Soviet T-72.

I think which ever set you pick just make sure that they are the same, and try not to mix and match too much.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Paul, what Tank head set did you use?

Bear in mind that most modern Russian tank helmets have 6 ribs, the DML set has 4 ribs, not sure about the Hornet set but I expect thats similar?

You might find that the Tank set is in the modern russian 6 rib, as most of theirs are I think.

WW2 and postwar (50s-60s)4 ribs were common, If the DML Tankers set is anything like the DML Motor Rifles I built they will be late Soviet (1980s). It's not uncommon to have a mix of helmet styles (i've seen some 1980s examples of 4 rib) but just bear that in mind, if you intend to depict a late Soviet T-72.

I think which ever set you pick just make sure that they are the same, and try not to mix and match too much.

Hi Jon !

This will be an early T-72A.

I'm thinking probably early 80's. I have pics of one of these from 1982....

No DML heads will be used, they'll probably be either the Hornet or TaNK ones. I like the TaNK heads - but the Hornet ones are great also

The Hornet heads are 4 rib and the TaNK ones are 6. so yes you're spot on (again --- still ) !!

Ok so - either will do, and I should use 3 from the same set on the Crew.

Big decision !

I 'll see how they fit the bodies ....

Paul
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 11:02 PM UTC
Getting them to fit shouldnt be a problem. I used Hornet heads with my DML Motor Rifle figures and they are from the same line (Elite Forces or whatever its called).

I think you should be okay with the tank ones also, from comparing them during my build they seemed ok.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Getting them to fit shouldnt be a problem. I used Hornet heads with my DML Motor Rifle figures and they are from the same line (Elite Forces or whatever its called).

I think you should be okay with the tank ones also, from comparing them during my build they seemed ok.

The Hornet heads look the 'goods' John.

The pics I have in the book on page 3 has some great pics of 'Guards' crew members, they're wearing 4 rib headware. It is 1982.

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 08:38 PM UTC
Just about ready for weathering...

I need to add the fuel drum lines and the aa gun first, (and paint the aa ammo cases).

Cheers

Paul
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 10:09 PM UTC
Looking good Paul! Really interested to see how those figures turn out as well.

ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Paul! Really interested to see how those figures turn out as well.

Thanks Jon !

I'm happy with the Green coloring, and I think I'll make the weathering reasonably subtle rather than aggresive

The figs will be a while. I've just got the Osprey book you suggested and I'll start practicing next week. I also need to get some more oils from the local arts store.

Cheers

Paul
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 11:23 PM UTC
Good luck! I'm sure the will turn out great!
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 01:26 PM UTC
Ready for weathering... and detailing....

The photo is over exposed (sorry )

Any suggestions / comments first ?

Cheers

Paul
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any suggestions / comments first ?

Comments....yeah, I suggest that you give me all that wonderfull free time you have to do such a good job...I need some.