_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Lifecolor vs Tamiya
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hi,

I know there have been a few posts and reviews on Lifecolor acrylics but I wanted to know, specifically, whether they are, in your opinion, better than Tamiya paints.

I've been stockpiling on Tamiya paints ever since I made the switch from enamels a couple of years back but reading so many seemingly positive remarks about Lifecolor I am finding myself considering yet another switch to this brand before I get too carried away collecting more and more Tamiys paints.

For those of you who have had experienced with Lifecolor, If you could please let me know what you thought of it in general, what thinning mediums you have used, etc. and how, from your perspective, they compare to Tamiya paints (which are undoubtedly nice as well)

I apologize in advance if I'm imposing with these sort of 'general' questions but since working with acrylics has been a bit hard for me on occasions (many occasions), I wanted to get an overall view of whether I should be considering Lifecolor as my acrylic paint of choice.

Thanks much!

Rob
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 10:44 PM UTC
I find Lifecolor easier to airbrush and the sets makes pre-, and postshading a bliss.

Tamiya is stronger and can handle more abuse, so what I normally do, is to prime/basepaint with tamiya and shade with lifecolor - I rarely prime and just basepaint.

I allways use the dilutants from the same brand.

Hope it helps/Jan

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 11:19 PM UTC
Have only used a few Lifecolor paints seem good so far.

Will be trying more as time goes on.

Have you tried Humbrol Acrylic yet?
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find Lifecolor easier to airbrush and the sets makes pre-, and postshading a bliss.

Tamiya is stronger and can handle more abuse, so what I normally do, is to prime/basepaint with tamiya and shade with lifecolor - I rarely prime and just basepaint.

I allways use the dilutants from the same brand.

Hope it helps/Jan

Same here.
I find that the Lifecolor has great color selection and airbrush great when thinned properly, but they are nowhere near as durable as the Tamiya.
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC
Tamiya all the way man! Does exactly what is says on the bottle
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 03:29 AM UTC
Tamiya and Gunze over Lifecolor any day of the week.
Chilihead
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 05:57 AM UTC
Thanks much for all the very interesting comments on this so far!

These two comments in particular, however, may have just impact my decision but will see...

Quoted Text

Tamiya is stronger and can handle more abuse, so what I normally do, is to prime/basepaint with tamiya and shade with lifecolor - I rarely prime and just basepaint

Quoted Text

find that the Lifecolor has great color selection and airbrush great when thinned properly, but they are nowhere near as durable as the Tamiya.

Did not know Lifecolor were not very durable...Interesting stuff!

Rob
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you tried Humbrol Acrylic yet?

Have never tried anything Humbrol (enamel or acrylic). I was a loyal Model Master enamel user for years so I didn't see the need to try Humbrol since MM worked wonders for me.

Although I too read somewhere that Humbrol's quality (formula changed?) has declined a bit perhaps I could give one a try.

Thanks, Jeff!

Rob
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did not know Lifecolor were not very durable...Interesting stuff!

Rob

Don“t get me wrong, I use alot of Life color as Mark say, they have a great colorselection - especially in the sets. But I find they are more prone to scratches wile handling the kit.

And they are very easy to airbrush, propably better than Tamiya and Vellejo, with the right thinner.

I would reccomend that you give them a try!

Cheers/Jan
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 03:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I too read somewhere that Humbrol's quality (formula changed?) has declined a bit perhaps I could give one a try.

IIRC, the production of Humbrol was moved to China when Hornby took over. I've heard that too, people having issues with these new production paints they didn't have with the older ones.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 07:03 AM UTC
I only have two things against Tamiya paint which is;
1. They switched to the smaller jars which seemed to create a con as regards pricing.
2. They could do with a larger selection of colours.
That said I still prefer Tamiya paint.
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC

I've been using Tamiya for 15 years at least. I love it, I thin it with denatured alcohol and it sprays like a dream.

I just bought a few sets of the Lifecolor sets as well as some Vallejo air paints just for a change and more color options.

Does anyone know if the denatured alcohol works with those brands?
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 08:34 AM UTC
Thanks all for the feedback so far!!

Hmm...It seems Tamiya does, still, have some advantages over Lifecolor....

Rob
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
This is my opinions

Lifecolor clings onto plastic better than Tamiya
Lifecolor has more colors than Tamiya
Lifecolor has FS numbers
Lifecolor can be thinned with water, but sprays fine without thinner
Lifecolor has a smoother finish than Tamiya
Lifecolor is harder to find than Tamiya
Lifecolor can be cleaned by running under the sink- cleans very easily.
Lifecolor is more expensive than Tamiya
Lifecolor is water based, whereas Tamiya is ether based
Lifecolor comes in a smaller plastic bottle.
Lifecolor does not have a fuzzy/ dusty finish when dry; Tamiya does

I think lifecolor is a better brand of paint- but because of the fact that the LHS sells only the horrific MM Acryls and Tamiyas, I only spray Tamiya paint. I would recomend buying Lifecolors Olive Drab, as it is the most accurate representation I have seen, and try it out, Dependig on your results, you can make your decision. Also, Vinnie Brinnagen (SP? sorry Vinnie) did a review of Lifecolor paints on this site and loves them.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 11:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback, Jon!!!

Yeah, I think it's just a matter of trying out a couple to see how they perform.

Rob
lskspore
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been using Tamiya for 15 years at least. I love it, I thin it with denatured alcohol and it sprays like a dream.

I just bought a few sets of the Lifecolor sets as well as some Vallejo air paints just for a change and more color options.

I believe there were many posting on what to use to thin Vallejo paints.
Recommended - Distilled water and Vallejo own thinner.

I use denatured alcohol to clean my brushes whenever the paint gets too chunky onto brush.
I find Vallejo paint tends to become gluely when used with alcohol (isopropane, Tamiya thinner) hence i mix vallejo thinner and distilled water for thinning when air-brushing.
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 442 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jimmy,

I can't help with advice for Lifecolor, but denatured alcohol won't work with Vallejo. The paint will clump up into a sticky ball of goo (an effect known as "flocculation") and will be unusable. You can thin Vallejo with distilled water.
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 09:18 AM UTC

Thanks for the thinning advice guys.

How does the the Lifecolor hold up to masking with tape? I have Trumpeters Stryker ready for painting and was thinking of doing a digital camo scheme on it.

The kit took a header off my bench a few weeks ago and I figured I would experiment on it now.

Thanks,

Jimmy
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 02:50 AM UTC
Never tried masking tape against Lifecolor,but should be okay.

Actually the worst too me has always been Vallejo as to tape and sticking if not totally clean.

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
Alcohol WILL NOT work with Lifecolor. Use distilled water (works very good) or Lifecolor thinner (works excellent). I have a bottle of every Tamiya color and have been shooting Tamiya for 20 - something years. I am now in the process of replacing all of my Tamiya paint with Lifecolor. I like it that much better. I find Lifecolor to be much more consistent and forgiving than Tamiya and it lays down a perfect, ultra-thin skin of paint every time. The fragility of Lifecolor paint has, I think, been overstated or maybe over interpreted. I have masked over Lifecolor with poster putty and blue painter's tape with never a problem. I consider Lifecolor to be the best paint I have, and their matching to RAL and FS numbers with specific colors is unmatched.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually the worst too me has always been Vallejo as to tape and sticking if not totally clean.

I second that, without primer Vallejo tends to lift with the masking tape. With a primer I've had no problems at all.
wrhouston
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi,

I used de-natured alcohol once for Vallejo; don't use it as turns the paint into sludge. The best thing to do is use Vallejo's own thinners but buy the artist acrylic thinners in 250 or 500 ml bottles. It is the same stuff as you get in the 17 ml bottles, and it works out a lot cheaper.

The same goes for Lifecolor. I've found they don't work well with alcohol, use distilled water or Lifecolor thinners.

Best Wishes,

Richard.

Beaver2206
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 02:13 AM UTC
I think availability locally has an influence on what paints people use. Where I live, there is only Citadel and humbrol, so any oportunity to find paints out and about is jumped at.

RE Lifecolour, love them and would agree with the statement above that it is perfect for shading. Tamiya thicker and harder to thin to the right consistency in my opinion.

Try Hannants Xtracrylics - superbs for all applications!

Stuart
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 02:39 AM UTC
I don't have much experience with lifecolor paint, but I've heard that it brush paints very well...which something Tamiya paint struggles with when you try to paint larger sections.

The one big thing I didn't like with Lifecolor is the shelf life of it...I had quite a few bottles of it that I got in a paint set and didn't use them. I think they where about 5 years old...and all of them dried up or turned into a goo that was unusable. I have Tamiya paint thats older then that that has been opened up and still is good in the bottle.

I personally use all different paint, depending on what I need it for. I mostly gravitate towards Tamiya and now Mr. Color Lacquer Acrylic paint. But I also have Vallejio for brush painting/figures, Cidelle paint for brush painting meticallic stuff and Testors Acrylic and Enamel paints for odds and ends I need for Aircraft
 _GOTOTOP