_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BMP-1 improvements
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC
This thread is being started to help answer a question posed to me about the BMP-1.

First off, the BMP-1 kits by DML and Esci/Ertl/AMT are nearly the same kit. The difference is that DML's kits have the gimmicky opening hatches and open periscope holes.

DML's kits have been reboxed under the Italeri, Zvezda, and Revell of Germany labels.

The Lindberg BMP-1 is a BAD kit and should be avoided. The Trumpeter BMP-1 kit that is also under the Hobbycraft label is WORSE and should be avoided AT ALL COSTS.

The basic DML and Esci kits are old. That needs to be stated right away, so that you do not get the wrong idea when opening the box. Personally, I prefer the more model freindly Esci kits than the more gimmicky DML kits, but that is my PERSONAL opinion and does not reflect that one is actually a BETTER starting point than the other.

For upgrades, their currently is nothing short of scratchbuilding for the upper or lower hulls. Honestly, I do not find their minor problems to be distracting. There are no conversions for the BMP-1 that I know of that would be convertable into a proper BMP-1 upper hull that would not be MORE work than just converting the kit upper hull.

The turret can be replaced with a multitude of aftermarket pieces. SP Designs carries the most conversions.

Tracks, sprockets, idlers, and roadwheels can be replaced, the best coming from Master club.

Eduard PE is a very good idea, but make sure to get the most current set, and it can be hard to find now, being OOP.

There are also a few conversion sets for more heavily converted BMP-1 based vehciles, like the Potok-2 command vehcile, or the BREM-4 recovery vehcile, also from SP Designs.

Anything else?
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hi
I would suggest an article in an April 93 issue of military modelling by Bruce Crosby on detailling the Esci bmp1, got mine of ebay only last week, doesnt make it 100% but covers a lot of the smaller missing details etc.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 12:54 AM UTC
Jacques
Thanks for that. For reference I have gathered a lot of the books that can be found about the BMP1 (and others). In the Osprey BMP1 they have black and white illustrations on the topsides and they have colour plates of the topside showing the hatches behind the turret differently, which (if any) is correct? After all this time one would think that some one would have done an illustrated tweak list like Vodnik did for the M1A1 and Bradley. Olivier's thread
http://vodnik.net/index.htm (sorry no hot link in Edit feature.)
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/136388&page=1
with his BMP 2 is the closest "how to" correct the errors on that project is incredibly helpful, has anyone modelled up an accurate BMP 1 with all the steps?
I am new here and I feel I have entered the dark side, I know only what I've read here and in ref books,(thanks Frenchy).
Peter would that article happen to be on line or has some one scanned it so I could read it, I'd be very interested.
Regards
Bill
Photobucket
Photobucket
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:56 AM UTC
Wings and wheels publication did a book on the BMP 1, it was the first in their modern vehicle reference series and sadly now appears out of print. Its a fantastic reference with some excellent diagrams and dimensional drawings.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 03:13 AM UTC
Rob
It is a great resource, I happen to have it as well. You can never have too much research material, you never know when you'll want to build something. Here is the illustration from WWP for comparison with the other two.
Thanks Rob, hope you are well.
Bill
Photobucket
Which one is correct?
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 07:03 AM UTC
And thanks to Frenchy some more food for thought.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Anyone have any opinions?
Bill
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi Bill
You have a PM.
Just a thought but perhaps both set ups are correct and there were two versions of the same vehicle with the different hatch arrangements. I mean thousands were probably made in various factories so couldnt it be that one superceded the other or were even made at the same time.
Peter
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
The old, discontinued full resin kits from Accurate Armour are the best option "out of the box" I believe. I bought a BMP-1 and a BRM-1 recently for only about 30 Euros each.

Cheers,

Christophe
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
Peter
PM back at you and thanks. The illustration (colour) is definitely a different rear hatch configuration, it looks deliberate not a bad drafting day. The others are pretty close to being the same, just wanted to draw out the millimeter junkies. I have a BMP 1 from Dragon on the way so I will deal with that one. Has anyone a picture of the Dragon hull showing the topside rear hatch arrangement on that particular kit?
Christophe
Does the Accurate Armour ones come with the turret cast to the body or the drive assembly moulded to the hull or something like that? That being said I will keep my eyes and ears open for such a good deal as yours ;o)
Regards
Bill
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 299 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hi Christophe!
Can you show the AA BMP-1 and BRM (especially) kits upper hull parts?

All the best.

Quoted Text

The old, discontinued full resin kits from Accurate Armour are the best option "out of the box" I believe. I bought a BMP-1 and a BRM-1 recently for only about 30 Euros each.

Cheers,

Christophe

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:12 PM UTC
I do not agree that the AA kits are really better. They have some better details, but in other regards, they have much worse details. I have, in the past, owned both the BMP-1 and the BRM kits, and I sold them off because of the problems...like the solid, one piece suspension setup.

To be fair, the AA kits were made in the late 1980's and show their kit liniage to that era. They are not what you would expect from AA today by any measure, so be warned.

As for the BMP-1, if you look, they have some differences in the drawings:

1. One has 4 drivers periscopes and one has 3 drivers periscopes. The odd one is the one that faces to the left. I have photos that show both versions, although the 4 version hull seems to be the older design...but no proof.

2. The access hatch to the right of the turret. This has changed over the years. One has a raised center section:

(thanks to Prime Portal)

and one has a nearly flat center section:

(thanks to Prime Portal)

I have no idea if one is earlier than the other.

The BMP-1 has ALWAYS had canted upper rear deck hatches because of the center line fuel cells inside. So the color drawing is wrong off the bat . (it also shows a triangular iar filter intake right behind the turret...this is always round SFAIK)

I am going to hazard a guess and say there are at least two basic upper hull layouts...really minor differences, but hey, that is half the fun of this hobby.

Russian Motor Books did a really nice book on the BMP-1, but it is in Cyrillic and hard to find.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do not agree that the AA kits are really better. They have some better details, but in other regards, they have much worse details. I have, in the past, owned both the BMP-1 and the BRM kits, and I sold them off because of the problems...like the solid, one piece suspension setup.

To be fair, the AA kits were made in the late 1980's and show their kit liniage to that era. They are not what you would expect from AA today by any measure, so be warned.

Well I like them... The one piece suspension doesn't bother me I rarely peek under fenders, especially 1/35th scale fenders.

Here's what Olivier Carneau did with the AA kit, very good looking model if you ask me, but hey it's just my opinion!

http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/kits/russie/bmp-1_aa/

And Jacques I missed out on your BRM-1 on Ebay, but was lucky to find the kit years later at a good price.

Cheers,

Christophe
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:19 PM UTC
I have this book (with some parts of english text) and M-hobby 1/35 drawings. Both in PDF.
For private use only.

Quoted Text

Russian Motor Books did a really nice book on the BMP-1, but it is in Cyrillic and hard to find.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have this book (with some parts of english text) and M-hobby 1/35 drawings. Both in PDF.
For private use only.

Quoted Text

I was just getting read yto ask if M-hobby ever did a set of plans.

Which issue were they in?

Are they available in PDF from the publisher?

Mike
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 12:19 AM UTC
Another schematic drawing for the collection.
Photobucket
Bill
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
It is M-Hobby drawings.
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC
A set of modern Rusian AFV's plans?
One issue was published - M-Hobby digest "Armor" 2009
BMP-1 drawings were in M-Hobby 8/2006
About oficial PDF version you can ask them directly on [email protected] or ICQ 268293389

Quoted Text

I was just getting read yto ask if M-hobby ever did a set of plans.

Which issue were they in?

Are they available in PDF from the publisher?

Mike

chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 10:17 AM UTC

Russian Motor Books did a really nice book on the BMP-1, but it is in Cyrillic and hard to find.[/quote]

I was lucky enough to jump on that one and even with the small pictures and english captions I love it. It covers alot of the modern upgrade programs and has some technical drawings. I too wish I had the time to babblefish through it somehow......

Chris
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 10:39 AM UTC
Chris
If you don't mind my asking, where did you find it, online? Ebay?
It must be hard to find these titles?
Regards
Bill
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC
Boggie,
I ordered mine through the old Armybook.com site which is now Russian Motor Books I believe.
krasnov
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 09:29 AM UTC
THe BMP-1 book can be found on e-book form on farposst.ru

Also the Esci BMP-1 are based on the eraly series that arrive to syria, they dont have the mine plough bolts so are perfect for yom kippur war , BMP-2 perfect for iraqui and kuwait, DML are for russian versions, the trumpeter BMP-1 isnt a BMP you can only do the chinese vehicle that is bigger than BMP but must replace the tracks and sprockets with masterclub.

would be nice that the PRP-3/4 versions came to reality by SP designs

regards
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 10:32 AM UTC
Chris
Thanks for that I will check it out. I am now a proud owner of a Dragon BMP 1 so I'll need all the references I can get my hands on.
Raul, thank you too for that contact and to point out the variants. I always thought that all the BMP 1 versions came from the Dragon kit but what you are saying the Esci BMP-1 is different tan the Dragon one is that correct?
Thanks for both your input.
Regards
Bill
 _GOTOTOP