_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger 2 Op Telic Dio
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 11:12 AM UTC
So I will start planning my next diorama. Unfortunately here at school I can't build but I will start late November. However, I want to use this to completely dial in what I am going to do and how I will go about it. I will include a scan of a sketch either today or tomorrow.

panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 01:16 PM UTC
best to go for the tamiya challenger 2 may not be most correct kit but it will fit alot better than trumpeters op telic tank.

i built trumpetters challi 2 tanks while ago not op telic or desertised just normal challi 2 and i have alot of trouble with the turret fitting together but tamiya never have problems fitting together!
ill keep my eye on this im big british vehcile fan
tony
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 01:36 PM UTC
This is my first stint into Modern Armor and also first trip into British Armor. All the help is welcomed. I will keep updating when the parts and such roll in.
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
Armorama: 467 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 10:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

best to go for the tamiya challenger 2 may not be most correct kit but it will fit alot better than trumpeters op telic tank.

i built trumpetters challi 2 tanks while ago not op telic or desertised just normal challi 2 and i have alot of trouble with the turret fitting together but tamiya never have problems fitting together!
ill keep my eye on this im big british vehcile fan
tony

Not sure what you are referring to Antony could you explain. I think its a very accurate model.
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 01:41 AM UTC
Sean

Go with the Tamiya Chally 2 Desertized kit, it is very good. The only thing missing is the non-slip surface... it'll probably be your only big challenge. Pick up Ospreys Modelling the Challenger 1 & 2 tank as there are several builds for the Op Telic tank, along with methods to remedy the non-slip issue.... textured paint....

I also have saved a build article from Armour Magazine (can't remember the issue #, I'll send you a PM) with an excellent build description I'm going to try to replicate, this is the best one I've found as it has paint mixtures to replicate the British sand yellow. Also check armorama as there are several build logs on the site.

I also plan on building the first tank you've posted. After spending the last year or so researching the topic the only things people have improved are :

Photoetch - I picked up both the LionRoar and Voyager PE sets... I'm going with Voyager as it has more etch in the set. I know that Eduard also has a set, and there are probably many more.

The Fuel drop tanks - This is NOT a must do! I picked up Tamiya's barrel set as they don't have the seam line, I was going to use them for diorama material but they're a good fit. This is just a coincidence, I didn't pick them up specifically for this build, but it's one less headache... one less seam line to fill.

Barrel - I'm going to replace the barrel with the Lionmarc one. To my knowledge it's the only AM barrel out there for the Chally 2.

Decals - There are several AM decal companies that do Op Telic decals - Echelon and Bison. Check them out. The kit decals are good as well.

Stowage - Accurate Armour and Real Model both have some great stowage ideas - Canvas tarps as seen in your photos, British menu boxes, helmets, etc

I hope this helps you out! If you need any more assistance drop me a PM. Cheers dude!

shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 05:17 AM UTC
Thanks alot guys. I planned on using the tamiya kit and many of the detail sets you spoke of. The first thing will be the book, which I should be ordering today or tomorrow. I want to get to sketching ideas but I can't just yet. Have a test tomorrow in Engineering Mechanical Systems

but after that, hopefully getting the end of the planning phase out the way.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 11:17 AM UTC
So after a bunch of school work here are some more photos that I've come across during my research. One is quite compelling and might beg for me to recreate. I want to spark emotion in my diorama so we shall see how that goes. But for now here are some images. Also, I was able to get my hands on Osprey's Challenger 2 MBT, so next is the book "Modeling the Challenger I and II MBT"

As for now, here are some more images.

Also, are there any images of Basra out there? I was planning on constructing the diorama from scratch.

Thanks,
Sean
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 07:05 PM UTC
So during one of my engineering design projects for school I came across another nifty google tool. I'm a little late but I was messing around with it and it has allowed me to get some perspective as to how I might go about my diorama. I couldnt get the turret on the tank to rotate but you guy can get the jist of the scene.

Here is what I have so far. The soldiers are generic so any suggestions or images would def help.

Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 07:51 PM UTC
Sean

I've never studied the Chally before, but it looks more like a ship in some pics... Nice one! So what is that google tool? Looks nifty!

For your sketch I have to comments: Firstly I would try to get one focal point to tell one story. Right now you have 2, one to the front of the tank and one in the back. Secondly I would try to avoid lines parallel to the base, like your wall for example. It looks more interesting and natural the other way.

My 2 cents! HTH!

Cheerio!
Stef
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 12:30 PM UTC
FInally! Updates!

I discovered a few LHS down here at school. Considering my school is in the middle of no where this is a treasure. I was able to get the kit for 30 dollars and the book for 10. I also happened to get some Plastruc liquid cement and more squadon white putty for 2 dollars as well. Deals all over the place. Also, instead of airbrusing Mr Surfacer I will be using textured Rust-olium spray.

However, can someone help me out here.

Will this accurate armor set be suitable for Tamiya? http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=1&category=4&product=1347
I feel that their barrel is much better than the lionmarc which can be seen here: http://www.hobbyhouses.net/images2/LM/20000a.jpg

Here are the remainder of what else I need to get for the tank:
1. Grief Lights
2. Voyager Challenger II Heavy PE Set
3. Bronco Challenger II Tracks
4. Accurate Armor Op Telic Decals
5. Bison Decals Operation Telic
6. Real Models Challenger II Stowage and Menu Set

All the suggestions are very helpful.
Thanks!
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 01:39 PM UTC
Sean

You are well on your way!

If you want to do an Op Telic Challenger then you don't need the Accurate Armour conversion. The AA Conversion was for the Trumpeter Challenger 2 kit which did not include the Desertize uparmoured parts. You have the Tamiya Desertized kit, you're good to go!

The Lionmarc barrel is good I have one, but read the following review to make up your own mind if you want to get it. Some people say it's great others don't care for it. The one thing that stands out is the rubber shroud over the barrel near the mantlet, the lionmarc sags the Tamiya is straight... this part looks like an accordion.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/lionmarc/aw20000.htm

Also, there are loads of decals out there for Op Telic, you've mentioned 2 but Echelon also carries a set as well. Might be worth checking them out as well.

Other then that, there is a section on how to apply the Rustoleum textured spray in the book Modelling the Challenger tank which you have. For masking reference on where NOT to spray the anti slip surface check our Prime Portal, the modelling book you have and the article I emailed you a while back. They are priceless!

Also, if you don't like the headlights in the kit, and you're having a hard time finding Grief Lights, try looking for MV Lenses, they are used in model rail road modelling, they come in a variety of sizes.

I also just picked up the Bronco Tracks... hobbyeasy.com sells them for $9.96 CDN... which is pretty close to USD these days... add a little for shipping and you're set! These tracks rock!!
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 02:02 PM UTC
Great!

What do you think of the Real Models Stowage set? I would like to make the taupins on my own but not sure as to how to go about it. I will order the tracks and barrel now. I was just worried that the muzzle thickness being too thick. Although the sag is a very important feature. Is there anything else I should look for? I plan on scratching alot of little things and adding nifty wires here and there.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 02:16 PM UTC
Also, the dust covers are extremely plain and look way too normal for a vehicle in operation. Is there are way to go about making these less boring and plain?
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 02:55 PM UTC
Personally speaking.... I think you could make your own tarps out of 2 part epoxy putty. Just make enough that you know will do you the full length, roll it into a long consistent thickness roll, place plastic wrap on your kit then lay your putty over it and mould it until you have what you desire with folds and wrinkles etc..., then simple let it set overnight. The plastic wrap keeps it from sticking to the plastic model, unless you're ok with that and want to paint it after.

The dust covers are a bit plan yes, but if you paint it just a shade different then your base color then it looks separate. Also you can paint the highlights and lowlights to make it look more like a dust cover then a piece of plastic. Pigments also help here.

Make sure you read the PMMS review as there are suggestions to make your lionmarc barrel better looking. Also in the top right of any Armorama page is a "Search powered by Google" if you search for Challenger 2 or Op Telic I know I saw somewhere on this site someone who merge the Tamiya parts with the Lionmarc barrel to make it look awesome.

Just my input... Happy modelling.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 03:06 PM UTC
Yes I was reading the review. Thats why I had questions about the barrel but now I ordered it. Its a pain I won't be able to start until I get home in a month or so.

Somehow I think this may be the end of my WWII modeling and the beginning of my Modern Stint. I also just got my hands on a Leopard 2A4
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 03:33 PM UTC
I will also be using this blog by Neil to help guide me along. Its quite amazing I must say and makes me angry that I can't start my build sooner.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/136475&page=1
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 03:48 PM UTC
And this as well.

I never really realized how useful this community is.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/801
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 03:08 PM UTC
So I am still waiting on my lionroar barrel and thin masking tape as well as tracks and decals. I will be home on the 20th so building will begin promptly. In the mean time I found a couples of scenes I think I really want to replicate.

And Lastly I think this might be a winner

And in the mean time, here for your viewing pleasure

shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 12:43 PM UTC

Here are more photos as the parts come on in. The barrel from LionMarc seems to be redone. The thickness of the barrel opening isnt as big as I initially thought. Also I got the tape that I will need to section off the anti slip panels. However I think that it may be a tad bit too narrow. I will be able to build starting next friday so I will address the issue then. I just noticed the antislip coating isnt spaced so far apart.
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 11:15 AM UTC
Awesome work Sean! I don't know about your diorama yet, but your computer image gets top marks! Thats ace man!

I really like these reference images you have up as well. That one of the guy on a bicycle in front of the tank... very Tianamen square!

Can't wait to see the build started!
 _GOTOTOP