Matchbox Campaign Proposal
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

some latter matchbox kits were sourced from other companies and they were nowhere near the good quality of the genuine matchbox offerings

i recently built the hienkel he 70 ( a winged thing ) from matchboxes latter releases and the quality was bloody awfull ( obviously a baught in kit ) rather than in house as everything was totaly difrent to matchboxes style

so a question may be are the latter allowed they are after all in matchbox packaging and sold as such

or do we stick to the original genuine range typed out for people joining the build to pick from !!

The He70 is actually an original Matchbox kit btw

The GB allows for only ORIGINAL Matchbox kits which have of late been reboxed by Revell.

http://www.matchboxkits.org/index.php?cPath=81_83

The Revell boxes for the current re-releases will be marked 1:76. although the multipacks that Revell did sometime back (soldiers plus armour) were erroneously marked 1:72

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

May I join the fun?

I quite fancy the Comet or the Priest

As an interested party I have added your callsign to the official proposal thread in the Campaign Forum. You have the honour of being the twentieth person to express interest in this campaign. That's quite a number of people expressing interest prior to official sanctioning and our thanks for your interest. I have yet to receive any official word from the administrators about this campaign. When this campaign receives official blessing I will post the URL of the official sign up page both in this thread and in the Campaign Forums.

Cheers,
Jan

Edit: Thought that I'd throw in another teaser. Here's the Matchbox Chaffee after a bit of exposure to some "Tank Overhaul." Machineguns are drilled out and prelininary weathering started. As you can see I'm caught up in this Matchbox Nostalgia thing.

tornado64
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

some latter matchbox kits were sourced from other companies and they were nowhere near the good quality of the genuine matchbox offerings

i recently built the hienkel he 70 ( a winged thing ) from matchboxes latter releases and the quality was bloody awfull ( obviously a baught in kit ) rather than in house as everything was totaly difrent to matchboxes style

so a question may be are the latter allowed they are after all in matchbox packaging and sold as such

or do we stick to the original genuine range typed out for people joining the build to pick from !!

The He70 is actually an original Matchbox kit btw

the heinkel he 70 was released at the same time as the challenger ( 1988 ) long after the 1982 buy out by hong kongs universal toys headed by david yeh

whilst other kits released after the 82 deadline may have been genuine such as the bridge layer and 2 french tank set the early dates point to late matchbox developments

the challenger and he 70s terrible quality in comparison to genuine kits point to out shipping

revell aquired the rights in 91 for ten years and in 2001 took over ownership
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the heinkel he 70 was released at the same time as the challenger ( 1988 ) long after the 1982 buy out by hong kongs universal toys headed by david yeh

whilst other kits released after the 82 deadline may have been genuine such as the bridge layer and 2 french tank set the early dates point to late matchbox developments

the challenger and he 70s terrible quality in comparison to genuine kits point to out shipping

revell aquired the rights in 91 for ten years and in 2001 took over ownership

Another excellent website to have a browse over.

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1376

It is worth noting just how many Matchbox AFV kits were original and how many were added to the Matchbox label by Revell after the takeover. The number difference is quite noticeable. This did happen with aircraft kits as well

Personally, I would take the original Matchbox armour list and consider that the baseline for our Campaign.

I have just finished moderating Matchbox Madness 2009 on ARC. This is a group build that has been run now around 4 times and is excellent fun, though mainly for Matchbox aircraft kits.

Cheers

Mike
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another excellent website to have a browse over.

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1376

It is worth noting just how many Matchbox AFV kits were original and how many were added to the Matchbox label by Revell after the takeover. The number difference is quite noticeable. This did happen with aircraft kits as well

Personally, I would take the original Matchbox armour list and consider that the baseline for our Campaign.
Cheers

Mike

Mike, I checked out the site above and compared the 1/76 AFV's they list to the lists we've created and they pretty well match. The one exception is that in our list we have the PK-178 Challenger as an original and they don't seem to list it at all. Perhaps we should post a combined Matchbox original and re-release list for kits that qualify for this campaign. The lists are in this thread but are located at different points and on different pages.

Regards,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 01:55 PM UTC
Below is the definitive Matchbox listing. The first list is the original kits list as released by Matchbox with the comparative Revell re-releases listed below. As long as the Revell release equates with the original PK series, it is eligible for the campaign.

1/76 AFV's

PK-71 Sherman Firefly
PK-72 A-34 Comet
PK-73 Panther Ausf-G
PK-74 Panzer Ausf-L
PK-75 Humber Armoured Car
PK-76 SdKfz234/2 Puma
PK-77 SdKfz124 Wespe
PK-78 M16 Halftrack
PK-79 M24 Chafee
PK-80 JagdPanther
PK-81 Panzer II Ausf-F
PK-82 Russian T.34
PK-83 SdKfz251/1 Hanomag
PK-84 Honey Stuart
PK-85 SdKfz232 Radio Car
PK-86 M-40 155mm Gun
PK-87 Panzer IVL/70
PK-88 Krupp Protz Kfz69 with 3.7 Anti-Tank Gun
PK-89 105mm HMC "Priest"
PK-171 SdKfz11/7.5cm Pak40/BMW R75
PK-172 Morris C8 Mk.II/17pdr Gun/Willys Jeep
PK-173 Long Range Desert Group 30cwt Chevrolet and Jeep
PK-174 M19 45 ton Tank Transporter Vehicle
PK-175 Montys Caravan/Daimler Mk.II Scout Car
PK-176 Char B1 bis/Renault FT.17
PK-177 Churchill Bridgelayer
PK-178 Challenger MBT

Later boxings by Revell Germany, under the Matchbox name. Note that Revell simply used the kit number of the original Matchbox kit boxing, replacing the PK with 40.

Those in italics are not original Matchbox kits and not eligible as entries for for the Campaign;

40071 Sherman Firefly
40072 A-34 Mk.1 Comet
40073 PzKw Aus.G Panther
40074 PzKfpw 111 Ausf-L Panzer
40075 Humber Scout Car Mk.11
40076 SdKfz234/2 Puma
40077 SdKfz 124 Wespe
40078 U.S. M-16 Half Track
40079 M-24 Chaffee
40080 Jagd Panther
40081 Panzer 11 Ausf-F
40082 Soviet T.34/76c
40083 SdKfz 251/1 Hanomag
40084 M3/A1 Stuart Honey
40085 SdKfz 232 Radio Car
40086 G.M.C. M-40 SPG
40087 Panzer Jaeger IV L/70
40088 Krupp Protz Kfz.69 + A.T.G.
40171 SdKfz 11+PAK40+BMW R.75
40172 Morris C.8 Mk.11+17pdr.+Jeep
40173 LRDG 30cwt Chevrolet/Willys Jeep
40174 M-20 Diamond"T"+M-9 L/Loader
40175 Leyland Retriever + Daimler S/car
40176 Char B.1bis + Renault FT.17
40177 Churchill A.V.R.E.Bridge layer
40178 Challenger MBT
40179 M-1 Abrams
40180 Sturmgeschutz IV Assault Gun
40181 Sherman M4A1 (76mmGun)
40182 Leopard 2A4 MBT
40183 T-80B Soviet Main Battle Tank
40711 M-109G Self-Propelled Gun
40990 M-47 Patton Tank
40991 M-41 Walker Tank

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC
Don't forget to add the handful of Revell combo packs that came with Matchbox kits and a set of Revell vinyl figures. You could also try to edit your very first post (or one of yours on the first page) and add this information to it. That way it won't be buried in page 3 of 20 as this post gets longer.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
That is OK. As long as the multipack AFV's is one of the Matchbox originals all should be good.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
Still no word from the Campaign authorities on where we stand. I've worked up another banner and as always, any feedback is both welcome and encouraged.

I noticed in a different campaign thread that they are awarding different ribbons depending on how many kits are completed and pictures posted in the official gallery. Seeing that these Matchbox kits aren't that complicated it's quite possible that some might build more than one. Should we emulate this idea for our campaign?

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 08:34 AM UTC
I'd be interested in this campaign. I've found an original Matchbox Challenger PK178 in a discount bin. I take it that this kit is legal or qualifies? The box was pretty beat up and the lower hull looks a bit warped but I think that even I should be able to put it together.

AJ
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still no word from the Campaign authorities on where we stand. I've worked up another banner and as always, any feedback is both welcome and encouraged.

I noticed in a different campaign thread that they are awarding different ribbons depending on how many kits are completed and pictures posted in the official gallery. Seeing that these Matchbox kits aren't that complicated it's quite possible that some might build more than one. Should we emulate this idea for our campaign?

Cheers,
Jan

Jan

I think just a participation badge ought to be enough.

Quoted Text

I'd be interested in this campaign. I've found an original Matchbox Challenger PK178 in a discount bin. I take it that this kit is legal or qualifies? The box was pretty beat up and the lower hull looks a bit warped but I think that even I should be able to put it together.

AJ

It is certainly a legal kit

Cheers

Mike
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan

I think just a participation badge ought to be enough.

Okay Mike, we'll adhere to the KISS (Keep It Simple S....) principle. Especially since this our first campaign as leaders. Who knows what might be involved later down the road.

Quoted Text

AJ

Welcome aboard, AJ. I'll add your callsign to the list in the Campaign Forum. I also received a PM from woltersk expressing interest in joining.

Thanks,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 06:05 AM UTC
I came across this recently, thought it might be of interest - the website of the chap who sculpted most of the Matchbox 1/76 figure sets - along with a host of others, apparently.

Slightly sad to see how superb the original sculptures are compared with what happens when they are rendered down to 1/76 poythene. Interesting though.

http://www.figuresculptor.co.uk/matchbox.htm

An utterly charming photo of his "three lovely ladies" is included on the site as well . . .
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 07:06 AM UTC
Very interesting site, Matthew. Thanks for sharing. But one must admit that the 1/76 Matchbox figures were a step up from those original old Airfix figures. I still have sets of both from my wargaming days and the detailing on the Matchbox was quite a improvement considering the scale.

Cheers,
Jan
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hi Jan!
I donīt know, if you have already noticed and I donīt mean to be rude in any way but thereīs one extra "a" in word "campaign" on you latest banner proposal. But anyway, I think this latest banner is best so far. Iīm wondering if we all, who take part on this campaign, could use it during campaign??
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jan!
I donīt know, if you have already noticed and I donīt mean to be rude in any way but thereīs one extra "a" in word "campaign" on you latest banner proposal.

Kimmo, you've got some sharp eyes there. I am surprised that nobody (including the co-leader) caught that mistake. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and as you can see, it's already fixed. Nice thing about the Internet is that if you fix the mistake at the hosting URL it is fixed everywhere.

Quoted Text

But anyway, I think this latest banner is best so far. Iīm wondering if we all, who take part on this campaign, could use it during campaign??

I am glad you like it. The purpose of the banner is to promote the campaign so anyone is free to use it. Often members of a campaign will have several banners to choose from so you are free to use the one you like. I am not sure but I think that we can start using the banner once the campaign becomes official, even though the start date may be a ways off. On that last point, today is exactly two weeks since I sent in the campaign proposal. I haven't received any word from the Campaign Administrator to this point. I understand that he has been ill and is a little behind.

Thanks and cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jan!
I donīt know, if you have already noticed and I donīt mean to be rude in any way but thereīs one extra "a" in word "campaign" on you latest banner proposal.

Kimmo, you've got some sharp eyes there. I am surprised that nobody (including the co-leader) caught that mistake. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and as you can see, it's already fixed. Nice thing about the Internet is that if you fix the mistake at the hosting URL it is fixed everywhere.

Now how did I miss that?

Another downside of getting old

I was wondering if there was any news as yet. But these things do take time.

Once all is official. there needs to be a thread created to allow participants to nominate the model(s) that they are going to enter into the campaign.

Cheers

Mike
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 11:18 AM UTC
There is a thread on this already in the Campaigns Forum. Everyone should be using that thread instead of this one.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a thread on this already in the Campaigns Forum. Everyone should be using that thread instead of this one.

Thanks Gary, that's a great suggestion. Anyone reading this that has any questions, observations or comments please post them in the similarly named thread in the Campaign Forums area Here's the link:

Matchbox Nostalgia Campaign

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP