Hosted by Darren Baker
Matchbox Campaign Proposal
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
@Sabot -It looks like the majority that have posted here have the same opinion as you. Keep it strictly either original Matchbox and Revell re-releases. I asked for opinions and thanks to all who answered. BTW, I'm glad you reminded me of the PK-178 Challenger as I have rummaged around my stash and found two.

@Maxiplus -Your opinion is noted and as I stated above I think that we'll stick with the 1/76 kits.

@Dangeroo

Quoted Text

I was thinking along that line too, but I think we should follow this here campaign up with an Airfix Campaign... How about it?
e

If this campaign works out I see no problem with a future Airfix campaign.

@Dani -Welcome abourd and I'll add your name to the list.

@ ArtyG37B -I think that the general consensus is that most who have "signed up" wish to keep this campaign strictly 1/76 Matchbox. I am open to further suggestions. That being the case are you interested in this campaign as it now stands?

@Dangeroo -See above. Campaigns are only limited by our collective imaginations.

@ casualmodeler -Kimmo, if you want to get an absolute original that is your option. As we've agreed elsewhere the Revell re-releases are perfectly fine also.

Well everyone, as it now stands we have eleven volunteers so this campaign can be legitimately submitted. If there are no objections or modifications to the rules how about the time frame for the campaign. Start it in mid January and have it run four months? IF we can agree on the time then there is nothing stopping us from submitting the request.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC
I'll go for this. I have a few of these in my 30 year old stash (which it is my intention to build all of before buying any more new kits.)

I just helped my 8 year old daughter build the T34 (improved with tracks from Eastern Express) which is currently awaiting painting by her.

I have these either unstarted, or partially built (by me, but decades ago):
# PK-87 Jadgpanzer IV L/70
# PK-89 M7 Priest HMC
# PK-174 M19 Tank Transporter

Also have a partially done Protz which is being built as a wreck, pix on my SU122 post on the Russian section (because it is going in a dio with the SP.)
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 08:58 AM UTC
Np Jan.
I think IŽll skip those original Matchbox kits and pick one of those re-released kits. Just donŽt know which. Btw, I like that first(?) version for banner, what you have made, Jan.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 11:59 AM UTC
Matthew, welcome aboard! Your call sign has been added to the list of entrants. Generally the rules of campaigns are that you must build an eligible kit from scratch and not start until the official launch date. Your partially built kits may be completed and added as additional offerings after you complete your from scratch build. (if everyone is okay with that) You could also enter the unfinished kit(s) in the Just Get It Done Campaign (and receive an additional ribbon from them).

Somehow I missed your Su-122 build on the Russo-Soviet Forum. I checked it out and left a comment there.

Cheers,
tread_geek
CMOT70
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 12:12 PM UTC
Count me in please, these kits are where i started in the hobby really! Would probably do the M24 Chaffee in the Revell re-boxing.

Andrew
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Np Jan.
I think IŽll skip those original Matchbox kits and pick one of those re-released kits. Just donŽt know which. Btw, I like that first(?) version for banner, what you have made, Jan.

Kimmo, just pick whatever kit is available and catches your fancy. Thanks to Sabot mentioning the Challenger I looked through my stash and found two. I opened one box and it looks like it might be "Challenge" to build. There is more flash on it than I remember on previous Matchbox builds. Must have been a late and used mould. The hull is also somewhat warped so I'll see how the other one looks .

I'm glad that you like the original banner for the campaign. I haven't been able to think up anything better to this point.

Then there is the issue of the ribbon. Here's a couple of simple concepts that I put together. Comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

Man, these things are tiny!

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 01:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Count me in please, these kits are where i started in the hobby really! Would probably do the M24 Chaffee in the Revell re-boxing.

Andrew

Welcome Andrew, your entrance has been noted and your Callsign added to the list. We now have an even Bakers Dozen. From a simple and at first not too serious suggestion, this topic has taken on a momentum and life of it's own. To add to the furore (• archaic a wave of enthusiastic admiration; a craze.). let me post some further teasers. Please don't be too harsh in your criticism as these little tykes date from the eighties.

The Wespe and Chaffee are waiting for a "Tank Overhaul" and the Jeep (and it's accompanying truck) are waiting to be finished.

Cheers,
Jan
tommytanker
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 01:21 PM UTC
Hi All, Though I'm not what you call a regular here but I would like to get in on this.
I will do an M-7 maybe something from the other side.... If you guys will let me!
Gdub
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All, Though I'm not what you call a regular here but I would like to get in on this.
I will do an M-7 maybe something from the other side.... If you guys will let me!

Welcome tommytanker and make yourself at home. We will be submitting the the actual request for a campaign shortly but in the mean time I have added your callsign to the list. That makes 14 interested parties in quite a short time. My LHS didn't carry a huge variety of the Matchbox kits and I always wanted to do an M-7 or M40.

Thanks for your interest,
tread_geek

BTW, here is the current list of interested parties:

sabredog
tornado64
casualmodeler
Andronicus
Sabot
Dangeroo
docdios
tread_geek
Maxiplus
Snowhand
madmax5510
firstcircle
CMOT70
tommytanker

Based on comments by those above I have revised the campaign details as follows:

Operational Overview

Jan. 15/10-May 15/10

More than anything this campaign is a nostalgic group build centring on the armour kits of the former Matchbox manufacturer. Many modellers remember these kits from their past with affection and this campaign is a chance to relive part of that history. Your mission is to start and complete a build of either an original Matchbox kit or the Revell re-release of it.

Rules and Regs

1. Either an original Matchbox kit or a Revell re-release of a former Matchbox kit are permissible. Construction may begin on or after the launch date and not prior. If in doubt, please ask in the appropriate forum.

2. Out of box (OOB) builds are encouraged. Deviations from OOB builds should be limited and represent minimal variation from the original.

3. The original bases for these kits must appear with the completed model. Minor embellishments of the bases such as foliage, minor additional terrain features, grasses or soil/dirt are permissible.

4. The modeller is permitted to make minor corrections or additions to enhance the model. These can include but are not limited to clear windshields/windows, antennas, resizing of small oversized pieces (ie-machinegun barrels, grab handles) and external stowage. If in doubt, ask.

5. Use of original decals is encouraged but not mandatory.

6. Enjoy this blast from the past and above all HAVE FUN.

Contest Element

Entrants that complete their build and submit at least one photo of the completed model will be awarded the prestigious campaign ribbon. Multiple submissions are welcomed but only one ribbon per entrant will be awarded on completion of the campaign requirements.

If there are no objections I'll leave this for a day and then submit an actual campaign request. When the request has been approved I'll let you all know in this thread and we can all officially sign on.

Cheers,
tread_geek
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 07:24 PM UTC
What? A Matchbox Campaign! I'm in . . . I also like the idea of a follow on Airfix Campaign. The build timeframe is just right for me (with my slow build rate).

-Eddy
hincmar
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 08:37 PM UTC
This is as good an excuse as any to dig out one of these old jewels in the stash - so count me in!
Smartin
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hello Jan,

Count me in for this one.....
It will be a delight building one of these old kits (I've almost build them all in my younger years....I still have them in a box somewhere actually)
Not sure which I'm going to build by the way.... depends on what the LHS has to offer.

Greetings

martin
tornado64
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 10:48 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

I opened one box and it looks like it might be "Challenge" to build. There is more flash on it than I remember on previous Matchbox builds. Must have been a late and used mould. The hull is also somewhat warped so I'll see how the other one looks .

Jan

some latter matchbox kits were sourced from other companies and they were nowhere near the good quality of the genuine matchbox offerings

i recently built the hienkel he 70 ( a winged thing ) from matchboxes latter releases and the quality was bloody awfull ( obviously a baught in kit ) rather than in house as everything was totaly difrent to matchboxes style

so a question may be are the latter allowed they are after all in matchbox packaging and sold as such

or do we stick to the original genuine range typed out for people joining the build to pick from !!
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hello

I'm new here, I've only just found this site.

May I join the group build ?

I made many of these models back in the late 70s & early 80s, so I'm looking forward to revisiting one of these kits. I will buy one of the Revell re-releases.

cheers
Neil
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What? A Matchbox Campaign! I'm in . . . I also like the idea of a follow on Airfix Campaign. The build timeframe is just right for me (with my slow build rate).

-Eddy

I am definitely interested in a follow up Airfix (old ones, not their latest Heller/Airfix releases) campaign.

I imagine the kits that have a lot of flash may be from the time when they were moved from England and made in Poland. Those often had the MADE IN ENGLAND mold on the sprue marked out and had a sticker covering the MADE IN ENGLAND marking on the box.

While I really want to stick to an original issue, I recall the decals were not very good back in the day. It may be wiser to go for a Revell reissue.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC
WOW...this thread is reminding me of a runaway train. Braille, hincmar, Smartin, and Korpse, your call signs have been added to the list. Welcome people.

Quoted Text

so a question may be are the latter allowed they are after all in matchbox packaging and sold as such

or do we stick to the original genuine range typed out for people joining the build to pick from !!

You can find the qualifying Revell kits listed with their product numbers on the first page of this thread. From reading back through the previous postings it seems fairly evident that the majority want to keep this campaign pure. As Sabot mentioned, the 1/72 kits while packaged under the Matchbox name are not truly pure in their origins. The kits listed below are the original range of Matchbox offerings and are all 1/76 scale.

Original Matchbox Kits

Kit PK71 - Sherman Firefly
Kit PK72 - A34 Comet
Kit PK73 - Panther Ausf. G
Kit PK74 - Pz. III Ausf. L
Kit PK75 - Humber MK-III
Kit PK76 - SdKfz. 234/2 Puma
Kit PK77 - SdKfz. 124 Wespe
Kit PK78 - M16 Halftrack
Kit PK79 - M24 Chaffee
Kit PK80 - Jagdpanther
Kit PK81 - Panzer II Ausf. F
Kit PK82 - Soviet T-34
Kit PK83 - SdKfz. 251/1 Hanomag
Kit PK84 - Stuart MKIII
Kit PK85 - SdKfz. 232 Radio Car
Kit PK86 - M-40 155mm Gun
Kit PK87 - Panzer IV/70
Kit PK88 - Krupp Protz Kfz. 69
Kit PK89 - M7 Priest HMC 105mm

Multipacks

Kit PK171 - SdKfz.11, Pak40, BMW
Kit PK172 - Morris C8 MK-II & 17pnd Gun, Willys Jeep
Kit PK173 - LRGD 30cwt Chevrolet and Willys Jeep
Kit PK174 - Diamond "T" Prime Mover and Rodger Tanktrailer
Kit PK175 - Monty's Caravan and daimler MKII Scoutcar
Kit PK176 - CHAR B1 bis and Renault FT17
Kit PK177 - Churchill Avre
Kit PK178 - Challenger Tank

Quoted Text

I imagine the kits that have a lot of flash may be from the time when they were moved from England and made in Poland. Those often had the MADE IN ENGLAND mold on the sprue marked out and had a sticker covering the MADE IN ENGLAND marking on the box.

While I really want to stick to an original issue, I recall the decals were not very good back in the day. It may be wiser to go for a Revell reissue.

The lower hull on the my Challenger is stamped "Matchbox Int Ltd" and all the sprues have Made in England on them. The second box that I opened doesn't appear to be quite as bad for flash as the first and that hull bottom is straight.

For the Armorama Campaign administrators here is the list of those that have "signed on":

sabredog
tornado64
casualmodeler
Andronicus
Sabot
Dangeroo
docdios
tread_geek
Maxiplus
Snowhand
madmax5510
firstcircle
CMOT70
tommytanker
Braille
hincmar
Smartin
Korpse

As the next step in getting this campaign legitimized I will post a proposal for it in the Campaign Forum. If I haven't read any objections to what has been discussed in this thread by about 22:00 GMT today I'll submit the actual request. If you have expressed your desire to be included in this campaign there is no need to repost in the Campaign Forum.

Regards,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 05:39 AM UTC
Jan, I can fit in with the regs. These two are I think totally unstarted:
# PK-89 M7 Priest HMC

The Protz had been started already, but now is well underway again as you saw, I think the Jagd L/70 already has its wheels on (so is almost complete then . . . )

There may be others, I'll have to check out the big boxes they're all in.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan, I can fit in with the regs. These two are I think totally unstarted:
# PK-89 M7 Priest HMC
There may be others, I'll have to check out the big boxes they're all in.

That's great, Matthew. What you choose is totally up to you and you have three months to decide (providing the time frame is approved). The Priest is another kit that I always wanted to build but could never find it in my area. My options are limited to what I have in my stash, two Challengers or the Morris truck mutipack. I've checked hobby stores within a fifty mile radius and none have any Revell 1/76 in stock.

Cheers,
Jan
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 06:12 AM UTC
To All,
I would be interested in joining the Matchbox campaign. I built a number of these as a kid and always enjoyed them and I still have a few in the 'stash'. What is entailed by joining a campaign, having never done so before?

Thanks,
Stephen
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To All,
I would be interested in joining the Matchbox campaign. I built a number of these as a kid and always enjoyed them and I still have a few in the 'stash'. What is entailed by joining a campaign, having never done so before?

Thanks,
Stephen

Greetings Stephen. You have just taken the first step by posting in this thread. I've added your callsign to the "official" campaign proposal in the Campaign Forum. As I state above I will make the official request for this campaign later today. After that it's a wait and see situation until the Campaign authorities officially authorize our campaign. Once they have done that there will be an official sign up page created by them where all interested parties go to and click on a button to "enlist." Once the campaign officially starts the Armorama staff will create an official thread where we can post progress pictures and comments and a gallery for completed builds. Everyone posting a completed picture will receive an award ribbon that will grace their profile page. If you have any further questions feel free to ask either in this thread or the Campaign Proposal thread in the Campaign Forums.

Cheers,
tread_geek
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
As promised and for all those that expressed interest in this campaign, I have now formally sent in the request. I am informed by the process that it may take two weeks before we might hear further. Everyone keep their fingers crossed. I'll inform you as soon as I hear anything.

Cheers,
tread_geek
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 05:02 PM UTC
Back from a short holiday. Sounds like this is gaining momentum whilst I was away!
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 05:10 PM UTC
Matchbox 1:72 T-80BV

I am unsure to origin but I do have doubts it is truly a Matchbox "origin" kit!

Here is an alternative to the earlier banner. I am not sure of banner size requirements though, but could naturally get this modified to be worded the right way and for size (done by a graphics artist friend)

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matchbox 1:72 T-80BV
I am unsure to origin but I do have doubts it is truly a Matchbox "origin" kit!

Mike, IIRC theŽT-80's and a couple of other modern tanks were originally Monogram and/or Revell. THe consensus of the group was that these kits weren't truly "original" and should not be included in the campaign.

Quoted Text

Here is an alternative to the earlier banner. I am not sure of banner size requirements though, but could naturally get this modified to be worded the right way and for size (done by a graphics artist friend)

Any and all submissions for a banner or the ribbon are appreciated. However, there are definite size restrictions here at Kitmaker. Images should be formatted to 468 pixels wide by 60 pixels tall. Images will be FORCED to this size. File size should not exceed 30kb (30,000 bytes). Please do not link to images hosted on this site. For the award ribbons the maximum size is 50 pixels wide and 20 pixels high.

Cheers,
Jan
Capt_Concussion
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 11:42 AM UTC
May I join the fun?

I quite fancy the Comet or the Priest