_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Just built the worst kit ever...
53Buick
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 05:21 AM UTC
Howdy all,
I just built War Wheels UAZ 469 while I was letting my 2S9 dry from priming. The flash alone made me want to throw it at a wall. Now I will say that none of the parts were warpped and the rubber tires are the best I've come across. But, crappy fit and supper soft detail(except the UAZ logo on the grill) Now, I did not take any in progress shots, but I will post the final build after paint. I wanted to build a UAZ in Chechnya with a PK mounted on it. I had to sctrach a PK mount/ roll bar type frame. and I added pe floor and Elf model head lights.
I was wondering what is the worst you have built? Ryan
bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 433 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC
Just started on a DML 1/35 scud-B. molding not bad, no major warpage, alot of punch pin marks, alot of flash, have to fabricate own glass for windows from 1 large clear accetate sheet. It's a cool subject. Not the worst kit ever but, still alot of extra work. I try to have about 4-5 projects running at 1 time ( even differing subjects, armor, ship, aircraft ) that away it keeps me from getting bored or frustrated when problems inveribaly arise. Good luck, looking forward to seeing your finished pics.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
Ryan, I know what you mean.
Here's one I've been working on and off for quite a while:

Not exactly a good fitting kit.
Looking forward to seeing your finished one.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 06:55 AM UTC
The MR Modellbau YP-408

warped, badly moulded parts, instructions that were impossible to follow due to badly copied pictures, important parts included on the picture but you had to scratch them yourself (smoke grenades, MG, headlight protective covers), they were not missing from the kit, they were just not included, no decals.

But it turned up to be a nice model, only thanks to the person who built it: ME

no I am not frustrated, although it might look like I am...
53Buick
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 07:07 AM UTC
Dave,
Nice door pockets! I did the same to the bed of mine. I left the brakes/gas and clutch alone. Steeing wheel sucks! Thanks, Ryan
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 07:30 AM UTC
The worst I have encountered lately was the miniart 1/16th scale Spartan hoplite kits. Bad fit and every one had to be filled and sanded. Helmet check guards wont fit no matter what I did and the feet are too small and personally, I think my dogs could have sculpted the feet better. Maybe if I let them chew on them awhile I'll be able.....oh hell, , and I bought two of each. I get the dumass award for that! I better put on a Beatle C.D. and calm down before I break out the lysol can and a bic lighter.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
DML's Imperial Series su-76.

Alan? BA-64...worst kit EVER. Nothing fit, huge gaps, lots of missing detail...like the EXHAUST, and short-shot parts. Awful.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 09:30 AM UTC
Worst fit ever..
Anything by Mach2

worst armor kit,: Zvezda T70 way back in the day..

worst acessory: anything by AEF

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 01:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DML's Imperial Series su-76.

Alan? BA-64...worst kit EVER. Nothing fit, huge gaps, lots of missing detail...like the EXHAUST, and short-shot parts. Awful.

And of course, the dismal Dragon Imperial Series SU-76 was originally by... Alan! And Zvezda's T-60 is certainly the runner up for worst stinkburger in styrene armor.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 09:36 PM UTC
I just threw mine away... just kept some small parts for possible use in other kits.

Dave, I applaud your patience and ability to make something good out of that kit.

Hisham
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC
Dunno, the Maquette Syrian T34/D30 kit is pretty horrible. When building the lower chassis, you have 2 sprues that have the torsion bars for the suspension on them. One sprue has 5 right hand bars, the other sprue has 4 left hand and 1 right hand bar. Figure that one out!

Then, it being a multi-media kit (styrene, resin and white metal), the grate that attaches to the back of the vehicle that the crew stands on to operate the gun is made out of resin.....only problem is....the holes in the grate are so thick with resin that the part is pretty much non-usable. Needless to say, it has been put back in its box, probably never to see the light of day again!
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 09:45 AM UTC
IMHO it`s got to be Trumpeter`s BMP 1,i did the Hobbycraft reboxing of this POS - now where do i begin,Soft plastic and fuzzy detail,also it still used the shaft from the non-existant motorization to mount the drive wheels on !, and to add insult to injury the poor rubber band tracks were to small to fit to the vehicle !!
DO`NT BUY - SAY BYE BYE.
P.S. it got filed under B - for binned.
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 10:56 AM UTC
You guys are leaving the AER ASU-57 off the list. It was one little nasty kit! Threw it in the trash....
bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 01:33 PM UTC
Hey, if you don't want the BMP-1, I'll buy it from you cheap.
Ragnar2004
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 02:54 PM UTC
Worst kit for me....Eastern Express BT-7 mod. 35 i believe it was. That was so far the only kit I ever just gave up on. If I got the multiple panels of the body to fit closer than 1/8 inch apart I was extremely lucky. I swore I was going to have to buy Bondo by the 5 gallon bucket to finish that one. Oh, how I long for the day when Tamiya or Dragon does a nice BT series.....

Walter
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 01:58 AM UTC
Bobby a litte advice on the DML Scud you should make some axles out of brass rod the wheels are a week point,, I have built this beastabout 10 years ago and currently just started on another with all the am parts. It does build up to a nice kit if you take your time
jd
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IMHO it`s got to be Trumpeter`s BMP 1,i did the Hobbycraft reboxing of this POS

If you think the old Trumpeter/Hobby Crap BMP is bad, you should see the Lindberg one, even comes with a piece of vacuform ground to put it on. I built one back when I was a kid, and realized it was a POS.....now I find one in my stash again, and no idea how or why it got there!

If anyone wants it, I will sell it cheap! Pay the shipping and its yours!
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC
One of (or) the first kit(s) by Acemodel was a T-72 (1/72 scale). I stopped building my one after a few steps.
My skills are not good enough for that kit. But Acemodels has really improved its quality since then!

greetings...
Soeren
bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 01:17 PM UTC
Awesome, that is good advice and I will take it, thank you. Yes I typically do take my time on builds and normally have a couple of projects running at one time. Are you going to post any pic's of your Scud ? I would love to see'em. - Bobby
bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 01:20 PM UTC
LOL, Scott. any thing by L.B. is junk. I have a 1/125 scale fletcher destroyer that belongs in the same catogery. - Bobby
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 03:16 PM UTC
Guys, guys, guys...the Hobby craft BMP-1 is NOT a trumpeter rebox of the DML or Esci kit...it is a HORRIBLE cross copy made from Trumpeter "enhancing" their bad, bad copy of, probably, the Esci kit. However, as mentioned, they made the kit FAR WORSE! Then, realizing how bad the kit was, they immediately switched it over to the hobbycrap label and foisted it off on unsuspecting modellers. YUCK! But still not as bad as that BA-64 POS.

As for the Lindberg kits...well, some of them can be well loved. But not the BMP or T-80. Although the prize for worst T-80 tank (modern that is) goes to a eastern european company by the name of Firefox. Buyer beware indeed. Maybe I should change my worst kit to that...it reminded me of the silouette models made in WWII...heavy acrylic plastic, basic poor detail, missing lots of stuff...ugh. Pretty bad.

Nope, still hate that BA-64.
 _GOTOTOP