Hosted by Darren Baker
"Where to?" - France 1940
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 03:56 PM UTC
Hey all, started this dio three days ago, and now I got some pictures. This is my first time trying to scratch my own building, roof and road. Im using cork for the road as you can see, and so far has went together really well! This is my first time using cork as well. So here are some
pictures....enjoy! All comments welcome......

P.S.- If anyone can help me with how to do the roof that would be great...any information on how to! Thanks ahead of time!

Later,
Johnathon
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 04:09 PM UTC
Hey I forgot to make this a Blog!!! If one of the armorama staff members could make it a Blog that would be great! Thanks ahead of time!

Later,
Johnathon
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 04:38 PM UTC
Hey man! havent heard from you in a while!

Lookin' like a great start so far. Rock on!
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 06:32 PM UTC
I look forward tgo see the street section done. It looks good.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hi Jonathon, i saw your profile and see that you are very young. I applaud your effort's to scratchbuid the house and looking forward through youre learning process.
For now i have only one suggestion. If yaou have some more styro left and this is meant to be a window, i would remake this wall and resize the window. Make it a bit smaller and higher from the ground.
With a sidewalk, you have no more space left at all.

Claude
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 08:07 PM UTC
Hi Johnathon
Welcome to cork builders group :-) you can do the roof taken a cardborad and glue in them little bits of ligth cardboard, from a corn flakes box for sample.them must be overleaped a bit as the drawing.
About the window I think that is a too big... may be you can divide she as I show in the drawing.
Hope to see more of your work
Carlos

jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 03:51 PM UTC
Jon- Dude it has been a while for me, with football Ive stayed completely busy, but now Ive got alittle more time, with fb slowing down! Great to hear from ya!

Guy- Thank you very much, your works have been a great help and are a great example for me!

Claude- Thanks for the nice comments, and yes I am young, 15 as of right now! With the window, I was trying to make it look like a shop window, so I wanted it to be low, but if you think( and Carlos agreed) it looks un-natural then I can see what I can do to fix it(should be easy)! So again thank you for the comments and help.

Carlos- AWESOME,thank you, that is exactly what I needed, but with the light cardboard "tiles" do I have to cover them with some type of spackling after im done, or can I just paint them without having to do that? Does that make sense?

Ok....I got some more work done, but its too dark to take pictures so I will have some for everyone tmrw!!

Later,
Johnathon
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 06:54 PM UTC
Jonathon,
regarding the roof (my friend Carlos gave you a superbe answer ) you do not need to cover it with anything . Perhaps you need to sand it a bit . Eventually you can put some varnish over it to avoid the cardboard sucking to much paint, but this is not a must.
Here is a picture of my latest part in progress. The roof (well , very little roof) is made with sanding paper.

Did you notice that you must adjust either your side wall or your front wall to get the roof -plate lying correctly.

Have fun

Claude
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 03:15 PM UTC
Hey all, here are some more updates!!! I decided to completely redo the large wall, and put in a door and a smaller window. I know in the 3rd picture there is a line down the middle of the wall.....thats because I put two seperate pieces together, so dont worry when I do my final spackle job is done it wont show at all! If you have any questions at all, dont hesitate! Enjoy......

The road is done, I think, and ready to be painted when everything else is done! The sidewalk just has its first layer...FYI! So thats why its so low. The door is scratch built and also I am going to still add the window, just after the wall is completely dry and the spackling is all complete! Ok again any comments, questions, or suggestions are greatly appreciated! I could use all the help I can get! So far though....I am really happy on how this is turning out!

Later,
Johnathon
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 03:52 PM UTC
Claude- Again thank you for the help! And yes I did notcie that I would have to adjust the wall, so ya I need to fix that too! Thanks again!!!

Later,
Johnathon
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 06:20 PM UTC
Jonathon,

your knob of the door is out of scale (don't say no, because i put my ruler against the PC screen :-) )
(ckeck your mom's sewing needles, there you will find something suitable)
On your next dio we will also talk about the cobbles, for now, they are good.

Claude
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 09:02 PM UTC
Hi Johnathon
O.K. , as Claude says the knob is out of scale, :-) but I think that this project is ideal for training in basic skills and materials: a corner, a door a bir of coblestone. When you feel sure with matwereials and skills you can start more complex dessings.
Next time we can discuss about composition or architecture details.
hope that you find funny this
cheers
Carlos
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 06:24 AM UTC
Claude- Well actually thats what that is. the head of a sowing needle!haha So should I sand it down smaller or what? Thanks for the help! I am deffinently learning from this so far!

Carlos- Thank you, and yes I am using this as a learning experience! Starting easier and moving slowly to more complex builds!haha

later,
Johnathon
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 09:05 AM UTC
No sanding of a sewing needle, you must look elsewhere then, there is choice. I always use them, so look further.

Claude
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
Ok, will do! Right now I am doing the window, any help on what size, like the diameter?

later,
Johnathon
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 09:45 AM UTC
I think that a easy form of see proportions and measuremetes is seeing paper models of real buildings. take a look here:

http://www.ss42.com/pt-buildings.html

most of them are 1/87 or 1/160 scale
hope that this helps
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
Thanks!!

jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 03:00 PM UTC
hey all, more progress on the wall and the street section. With the street section I put spackling on the sidewalk for another layer and the road/sidealk divider also got spackled. I made the door taller and cut out a new window(does that seem more to scale?) and I thought I would start showing the models that will be going on this diorama I got two dragon figure sets comin any day now also! ALL comments welcome! Enjoy........

I just want to say that the walls are not yet glued together, still got alot more work to do to the walls so I thought I would keep them seperate till Im completly done with the construction part!

Later,
Johnathon
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 12:51 PM UTC
Hey there!
Nice progress so far, mate.
I'm looking forward to see more pictures of that building.
However, I have one observation: I am not sure about using the Kubelwagen with baloon tires if you set you diorama in the French campaign in 1940. That would be more appropriate for an italian campaign setting.
Just my humble opinion.
Thanks a lot for sharing, mate!
Cheers.
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 04:06 PM UTC
Pablo- You are right, problem is...I dont have a change for them. But thanks for the heads-up! I am glad you like the progress so far!

later,
Johnathon
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 10:52 PM UTC
Looks ok, go on ! :-)

Claude
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 04:00 PM UTC
Thanks Claude! Im trying...been really busy last couple of days! Got a football game tommorrow so practice has been taking my last three days up!haha But Im getting stuff done tonight so I will have pictures tommorow!

later,
Johnathon
Monsterflocker
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 07:52 PM UTC
Looks very nice so far!
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC
Thanks!

later,
Johnathon
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hey all- another update! Got some more work done with the building, adn the roof. OK....are the roof tiles to small width wise or no? I was worried bout it, but cant tell! Any suggestions?
OK also been working on the door area, and its turning out good so far! Still dont know how to scratch the window frame........ but im doing research for it.
Ok here are the pictures.....Enjoy!!

Ok thats it, all comments welcome!!

later,
Johnathon
 _GOTOTOP