_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy towing cables attachement + anti slip
blacksad
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hello! I've just bought my Merk 4 from academy and I've noticed that the towing cables attachement are kind of wrong ; this is the piece from the kit: ( This picture was taken from the Curry's Sutton Merkava Mk.IV, wich you can found there https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/133971&page=1 )

http://img193.imageshack.us/i/p7200302r.jpg/

And these are the real ones : http://img194.imageshack.us/i/merkavamkivawalkaround1.jpg/

Any idea on how to fix this problem? I've think that maybe if I glued those pieces, but vertically....

On the second part of my topic. I wanted to know if any of you have some references photos of the Merk 4 anti slipping coating, espacially in the rear part of the hull.

Thanks for your Help!
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 03:14 PM UTC
Not sure what you're referring to - the placement of the swiveling ovals that lock the cable in? Or the placement of the cables themselves? The one thing that the Academy kit misses here is the recessed panel (external fire suppression handle?) to the left of the tail light in that photo.

Jim
blacksad
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hello! Sorry for not explaining enough, english is not my primary language hehe

I'm talking about the oval rings that locks the cables on the tank. On the academy model, they look like a "D" ring that locks in, but in reality they look more like a "U".
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 06:39 AM UTC
Here is a couple of hi-res pic cropped down. The retaining oval shaped plate slips over a post and is held in place with a pin. You could replace the post and pin on the model with a bit of styrene rod and strip filed to shape, and use the tow cable end part #26, or open up and clean out part #25's.
HTH,
Jim

blacksad
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hello again

I was actually talking about the plate that holds the cable itself, not the end of it.

junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 11:15 AM UTC
Ahh, Ok, yes the Academy parts for the hooks are pretty thick. If you can find the new Voyager detail set it has nice replacements, or maybe try bending thin brass strip into a 'U' shape. Heat forming plastic strip might work too. I'm working on a couple of Merkava 4's right now.

Jim
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 12:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm working on a couple of Merkava 4's right now.

Jim

Hey Jim,
Lets see your work. It might inspire me to resume working on my Merkava IV.

John
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 02:41 PM UTC
Closer looks.....

Look like a simple enough shape to scratch-build from some plastic stock or left over PE fret.
The U part appears to be mounted on a piece sticking out from the hull side, with a small gap between the inner side of the U and the hull.

It's always been a fascinating looking vehicle to me.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 03:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Jim,
Lets see your work. It might inspire me to resume working on my Merkava IV. John

Hiya John, well I would love to, but you'll have to wait for the article in MMIR first . I'll see if I can put some 'tasters' up on-line. Waiting for the Friul tracks to get in.

Cheers,
Jim
blacksad
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC
Thanks for your help, wich kit from legend provides replacement for those pieces?? I've already ordered the chain ball armour kit... well, scratchbuilt seems to be a verygood and much more costless alternative, thanks to the pieces simple design..... Where can I find some thin brass/copper/whatever sheet?
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hey 'John', I just checked the Academy instruction sheet (it was under a bunch of other stuff as I hadn't used it for a while, and before I was just looking at the parts on the sprue) and you're right, I think if you attach the part #24's so that they are attached to the hull like this ]U it will be close. Just file off the 'lip' and thin them down a bit.

Jim
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey Jim,
Lets see your work. It might inspire me to resume working on my Merkava IV. John

Hiya John, well I would love to, but you'll have to wait for the article in MMIR first . I'll see if I can put some 'tasters' up on-line. Waiting for the Friul tracks to get in.

Cheers,
Jim

Oh well... Honor your commitments first as it would be in poor taste to have you getting in trouble with Spud. A look at the Friul track would be welcomed as I am not sure whether to go with Friuls or
WWII Productions Merkava IV track.

John
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 03:58 AM UTC
Good morning folks, I too just picked up this kit. My question is, how are you going to do the anti-slip surfaces. I saw the Rustoleum Terra Cotta piece on the Abrahms story, do you think that's the way to go? I'd hate to loose all the bolt details. Thanks, Tom
blacksad
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 02:57 PM UTC
From what I know, IDF vehicles have a less uniform anti slip coating, compared to the americans or the french army vehicles for exemple; the particles are also a little bit more big too... What you can do is use some masking liquid to protect the areas that are not treated ( Like the little handles,the bolts etc.) and apply a thin layer of varnish; then you can put some thin sand, like the one you can find in pet shop's... This is one technique among many others... Just browse through the forum and find the one that suits you best.... Now I have a question, does anyone here ever tried to spread the sand using a - I'm not sure what's the word for this in english- salt box??

And btw, does anybody have some reference pictures of the back portions of the hull where anti slip is applied?? Thank you in advance
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 06:18 AM UTC
Thanks John for the tip. The biggest tip was your question, I think you mean salt shaker. I think that would be the best way to sprinkle the sand on to the surface. thanks again. Tom
 _GOTOTOP