_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
HT M5 radio - [ WIP ]
piwi
Visit this Community
Nord, France
KitMaker: 712 posts
Armorama: 558 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 07:11 AM UTC
Hi all,

Here's my new project: a British Half track ( M5 ) in radio version. I used the old Tam's kit.

Nothing really important with the chassis but the suspension part is a nightmare. The idler wheels and the sprocket ones are definitively not good. Obviously I find a Tank Work Shop Kit.

On the roller, the springs are just upgraded with copper wire

The rear springs are also change by a homemade part.

The front will be a big part !

The system to close the radiator grille is missing and should be added

Later I'll add a British extinguisher .

An other nightmare : those rounded fenders ! I cut the "M3 fenders" to replace them by two others made in plastic card.

With plastic card and copper foil I built 2 new supports for jerricans

Last thing for tonight : the dashboard . The International M5 has a different one so you can't use the one provided by Tamiya.

All comments are welcome !

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
Nice Pierre:

A good way to make an evenly spaced spring is to wrap your wire around a screw. This way, the spacing is even.

Make sure you fill in the notches where the tamiya doors attached. On the real things, these didn't exist. Did you know that the IH Halftracks had a larger battery box? Also fill in the lower corner of the door openings. The IH doors had a cut out. Also note the armored shutters had different view port armored covers (on the inside face). Also know that the jerry can racks were mounted higher than non IH half tracks.

You may alraedy have these on your list of things to do. Regardless, best of luck to you (I have in mind to do an M17 MGMC from the DML M16 MGMC kit)

piwi
Visit this Community
Nord, France
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi Roy,

Thanks for all your remarks. The new cover for the battery box is already done . Same thing for the doors (just need to take picture now!!! )

Your tips with the screw is very clever ! Thanks a lot !
piwi
Visit this Community
Nord, France
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hello all,

The chassis is finish ( I hope) . I use the TWS kit , but unfortunately there's a lot things to do. So I lost many time to prepare each part ( but at least it's better than the Tamiya's parts !!! )

On the M5 version, the little shutters on the doors are on the interior face. I scratch my 2 new doors. Later I'll cut the corner at the botom to make a bevel

The cabin start to look good !

Now, I beveled my doors and of course I had to change the monts of the door.

Before making 3 new seats, I started the rear part. I just put them together ( for the photo) to have an overview on the further work

See you next time for more.

yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 12:46 AM UTC
Bonjour Pièrre,
you really are going all out on this one! Nice job!
Your work will be a great reference when I start my build..... some day..

To bad no major company produces an M5 in plastic..
 _GOTOTOP