_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Ersatz Nachtjäger VI ausf B
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:51 AM UTC
Hi,

I have promised myself to leave for a while the Tiger II subjects. Well, I consider the treatment / quarantine period finished! A Pz IV done, Panther well advanced... I finally may return to my passion subject. And here comes another Tiger II.

This one was following me for some time. I already have a painting scheme ready in my head. All or most of extras are in stock and ready to use. What I'll try to make here will be: a Tiger B with IR equipement upgraded with some with some minor field modifications. Also, some parts developed for other types of tanks may find their places on this very unique kitty We'll see that during the build.

Here's what I will use

the base

basic accessories

and non standard accessories

This will be much of a "what if" / "it never happened" build so don't be shocked by some choices I'll make.

I hope you'll enjoy this build. Your participation is like always mostly wanted.

spit
freeguner
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 12:10 PM UTC
Hmm another King from Pawel.. Well, I will follow this thread, good luck..

Özgür.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 12:39 PM UTC
Can't wait Paul. I am a big fan of your work. I pushed my king to the side to work on my new love: modern vehicles.

Really excited so im subscribed
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 12:40 PM UTC
Also, you may want to get the Griffon Hinge and Grab Handle maker. It makes making that hinges for that set so much easier.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 12:42 PM UTC
I love it already !!!!!

Love that gen 1 slat armor too! I like Lion Roar's p/e sets - they're affordable, have good intructions, and always go together well.
Chris
GibsonSG
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 183 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 04:02 PM UTC
Awsome Pawel! I was just starting to plan a KT with IR gear using the same kit and E-100 IR gear . Can't wait to see you work your magic on this one.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 05:37 PM UTC
Pawel,

Bad boy, bad boy! You just couldn't keep your hands away from touching another big cat! Be careful this one will be able to see you in the darkness of night . . . LOL

I'm in.

-Eddy
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 10:44 PM UTC
thanks a lot guys

Quoted Text

Also, you may want to get the Griffon Hinge and Grab Handle maker. It makes making that hinges for that set so much easier.

Sean, thanks man. The Griffon handle maker is already in stock since few months, it's a great toll I must admit.

Quoted Text

Love that gen 1 slat armor too! I like Lion Roar's p/e sets - they're affordable, have good intructions, and always go together well.

Hi Chris, we'll see for that gen 1 slat armor I've bought the set thinking tu put it right there but when the time comes we'll see if it really fits and looks good. Yeah the Asiatic PE sets are really great. very well made with a good price. I'll mainly use the Griffon set as the Lion Roar already served for two KT.... The Griffon kitis slightly more expensive but it's more complete in addition the Lion Roar armoured covers over the front exhausts on the engine plate don't have the correct shape.

Quoted Text

Awsome Pawel! I was just starting to plan a KT with IR gear using the same kit and E-100 IR gear . Can't wait to see you work your magic on this one.

Ryan, thanks man. I started searching for another KT kit to fill the gap in my KT stash LOL For the IR in fact I wanted to use the new Great Wall Hobby set but it's not available so I'll just go with the voyager set.

Quoted Text

Bad boy, bad boy! You just couldn't keep your hands away from touching another big cat! Be careful this one will be able to see you in the darkness of night . . . LOL I'm in.

Hi Eddy, I was sure to see you in for that build. I always appreciated your extensive Tiger B knowledge!

thank you all

spit

Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:32 PM UTC
Wasn't expecting to see this one quite so soon mate, going to be an enjoyable one to follow though!

Looking forward to it,

James
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wasn't expecting to see this one quite so soon mate, going to be an enjoyable one to follow though!

Looking forward to it,

James

Hi mate,

yeah me too... it's like a drug
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 07:59 PM UTC
Is this going to be like the July 1945 Tiger-B?
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 08:48 PM UTC
Hi Herbert, nice to see you back on the forum.

July 45, no not really, I don't have any conversion kit and scratch building complicated elements is not what I do best... For a while I thought about adding Panther F range finders I'm not sure about it yet. Also I prefer the standard 16 track hangers turret for this build.

I have a question here. A protective plate for soldiers on the rear deck like on this beautiful panther it's just a modellers idea or a real field mod?

http://missing-lynx.com/gallery/german/panther_ausf_g_bayer/panther_ausf_g_bayer.htm

spit
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For a while I thought about adding Panther F range finders I'm not sure about it yet.

Probably because they are sitting in my house! Haven't forgotten mate, just not been doing any casting recently.

I have seen this mod on other modellers build and have heard it quoted as being done very late in the war, however, I haven't seen pictures.
I think it is reported as being done and modellers have used their own idea of how it would look?

Still, if you are going that way it might be an interesting touch!

James
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 09:53 PM UTC
Range finders on the Tiger-B turret were done by extending the middle roof section forward, and increasing the angle of the sloped front roof section, and also extending the turret sides, so that would be a big re-work task.

The shields on the Panther I know were a fact, a field mod. IIRC Jentz even mentions this in Panther TQFCS.

I have at least one picture where a Schürzen section is used as protective shield on the engine deck of an Ausf. G.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

For a while I thought about adding Panther F range finders I'm not sure about it yet.

Probably because they are sitting in my house! Haven't forgotten mate, just not been doing any casting recently.

I have seen this mod on other modellers build and have heard it quoted as being done very late in the war, however, I haven't seen pictures.
I think it is reported as being done and modellers have used their own idea of how it would look?

Still, if you are going that way it might be an interesting touch!

James

don't worry James, I still have a second Panther F kit with the range fnders so you don't really need to do it right now. Take your time as I told you.

Well, it hasn't been done on any real Tiger B, just plans for the July Tiger that's all I think. I will think of it.

Herbert,

thank you for your answer, interesting thing with the Panther shurzen being used for that protection. I'll take a look in the book you cited, just bought some time ago.

If I go fo the range finders I will surely not modify the turret. Ersatz is Ersatz LOL

thanks guys

spit
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 12:27 PM UTC
Well, you DO need the room for the range finder in the turret. The Schmalturm was designed from the start to incorporate them. the Tiger-B turret had to be adapted.

You could also add the periscopic sight projected for use at a later stage. This was similar to the one on the Maus turret. Perhaps a more elegant solution as on the Schmalturm could work as well, but that is just my idea.

On Tiger-B's and JagdTigers, Schürzen were also wedged between the exhausts and the rear hull to deflect the hot exhausts. Also seen was a single tracklink. Aparently, it seems the exhaust fumes could be sucked back into the engine, causing overheating.

What I've not read anywhere is where the IR gear on a Tiger-B might be stowed. The Panther-G had the IR-box on the rear, the Panther-F had internal stowage incorporated into the hull, but with the Tiger-B, where would that go? Sacrificing ammo stowage?
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 03:53 AM UTC
Thanks Herbert for this clarification.

could you just explain better this phrase of yours:

Quoted Text

You could also add the periscopic sight projected for use at a later stage. This was similar to the one on the Maus turret. Perhaps a more elegant solution as on the Schmalturm could work as well, but that is just my idea.

I'll rethink those IR range finders. I don't want to make it look too strange. What is sure, this very Tiger B will have the Panther G style IR stowage (on the rear).

Quoted Text

Aparently, it seems the exhaust fumes could be sucked back into the engine, causing overheating.

my crewmen had addapted a different solution to that problem which will be presented later on

spit
GaryGore
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 04:43 AM UTC
These may help you out. The new sighting system that was proposed would go thru the roof with an armoured cover, similar to this in the front corner of the turret.

http://blue.ap.teacup.com/liveluck/img/1136793796.jpg
http://blue.ap.teacup.com/liveluck/img/1136793542.jpg

spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 10:26 AM UTC
thanks Gary, you 're sure about those links with pics ?
GaryGore
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 12:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I see they don't like that.

Ok try this one, http://www12.ocn.ne.jp/~zitader/sa3511.html

This should get you in to where the pictures are.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 01:07 PM UTC
So I guess my big question is, when are you going to start this beast?
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 09:00 PM UTC
One question also, why don't you use kit 6232? That has the proper single link tracks.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I see they don't like that.

Ok try this one, http://www12.ocn.ne.jp/~zitader/sa3511.html

This should get you in to where the pictures are.

this link works better thanks, nice tiger but not without one or two small errors

Quoted Text

So I guess my big question is, when are you going to start this beast?

Hi Sean, the good planning and good intel is very important I cut out the first PE part and plastic part yesterday.

Herbert,

I don't want this Tiger B be a final or a real late. I don't plan to use neither the late sprocket nor the late tracks. Will go with the standard ones this time.

spit
barkmann424
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 353 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 08:59 PM UTC
Hello there Pawel!
Good to see you back a the bench again, this looks like it is going to be a very interesting build, a lot of thought and planning have gone into this already.
Looking forwards to the camo on this one Spit!

Cheers Phil!
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 12:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello there Pawel!
Good to see you back a the bench again, this looks like it is going to be a very interesting build, a lot of thought and planning have gone into this already.
Looking forwards to the camo on this one Spit!

Cheers Phil!

Hey Phil, htanks for the comments. I'll try to do my best on this one. The camo on this one is to be very simple one... I already here the voices of accuracy Police MUST RUN

_GOTOTOP