_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Large diorama
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 12:19 PM UTC
I am pretty set on the desert scheme. I have already begun painting and weathering the kit, approximately 80%. As was suggested by another post, I would be using the mechanics(I will try to find the pic) to draw in the officer by showing him what they are working on. The mechanic kit has one stooping down, working on the engine and the other looking over his shoulder. Could I use the paint crew and Tiger as background or could I turn the tank away from the view in a semi-show box way that would draw attention back to the officer and mechanics?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 12:22 PM UTC
Here is the link to the mechanics http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Scale_Figures/VER00002005/product.php?kw=mechanics
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC

Here's the pic:

Matt,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think this crew suitable for DAK/North Africa. There are a number of reasons:

- These are Waffen-SS tankers, yet no WSS panzertruppen were deployed in NA
- The WSS panzertruppen field tunic was different in cut to the Heer tunic
- The European uniforms were made from (predominantly) wool, so it's unlikely you'd find tankers wearing the full kit in NA - they'd prefer either the lighter tropical uniform or when in camp simply wear shorts and a vest or go shirtless.

I kind of have an issue with Verlinden calling these mechanics, and actually with most of the sets they have labeled mechanics, as these really are just panzer crews doing routine field maintenance. Mechanics would be the backline support teams doing the "proper" vehicle maintenance, and they wouldn't be issued with the fairly prized panzer crew uniforms, but rather regular Wehrmacht uniforms as well as perhaps boilersuits. But that is neither here nor there and not your problem.

Whether you decide to use them or not in this particular diorama is up to you. It would be historically incorrect, but it's your perogative.

I still reckon lose the officer from this dio. Rommel and his kubelwagen could make for a nice, simple little dio on there own. From what I believe the Tamiya Kubel is a dream to put together and makes for a terrific rainy day project.

Rudi
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 02:51 PM UTC
I dito what rudi said.

Perhaps the Tamiya set of mechanics would be more suitble
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 12:39 AM UTC
I'm thinking about dropping the mechanics. I have found a WW2 era Italian photographe dress in desert uniform. Could just set him back a few inches and turned towards the painters.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 03:47 AM UTC
here are pictures of the photographer
http://pacmodelscatalog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PCM&Product_Code=cri_s050
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 05:04 AM UTC
That might work
Abydos
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 05:53 AM UTC
waiting for some pictures,
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
Here are some pictures of the exterior of the Tiger. For the interior, I am using Krylon Italian Olive spray can.

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC
Do you have a picture of the painters?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you have a picture of the painters?

Sorry, no. I am not sure if I want to put them in the dio. I think they may take the focus away from the photographer and Tiger. I believe the kit came with a crew I can use to bring the human element back to it.
 _GOTOTOP