_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter Sd.Kfz.7/1 Flak 38, finished
CMOT70
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 12:09 AM UTC
First of all the disclaimers: I'm not actually an AFV military subject person at all...more of an aircraft and automotive person, and the ocasional AFV subject that i do is usually in 1/48. So when i build miltary subjects just understand i don't take it as seriously as some of the hardcore on here. But i felt like something different. Just a fun build.

And yes i know the Trumpeter kit is innacurate and has the wrong trailer, i even read the reviews here and still bought it! The Dragon version cost A$100, the Trumper cost me A$59 and came with a trailer (even if it is the wrong one).

A first for me: individual link tracks. Turned out okay actually, time consuming but not really difficult. Only problem is that i must have built into the model a slight misalignment as the recomended number of links fit perfect on the left side, but was slightly too loose on the right.

Overall the Trumpeter kit was pretty easy and fit well. The brass in particular was the easist i've ever used, thick enough not to buckle and or bend except along the deep score lines where it was meant to.
I became lazy in the end and didn't really finish off the undersides of the chassis any more than a wash and some pastel pigments. No one will ever be looking under there anyway. However looking at the pics i now realise i better at least go back and do the inside of the mudguards and upper track runs with some dirt/weathering as it's pretty obvious.

I built the trailer in the parked config, it's only temporarily attached to the vehicle for pics. So that is why the stand is down when it shouldn't be.

Overall it was one of the most enjoyable projects all year and really only took 2 1/2 weeks along side another simulataneous project.

I enjoyed this one so much that i actually bought the 7/2 Late version with Flak 37.

Andrew

cpt_Hobo
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 07:45 AM UTC
top class love trumpeter kits
theBENDER
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 09:01 AM UTC
nice work there....trailer needs to be in photo....i like it ...have fun on the next one...
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 03:42 AM UTC
Nice work!
 _GOTOTOP