_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Resin question
Precious_rob
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 03:15 PM UTC
I am currently casting two new outer tire pieces for the old Tamiya Pak40 wheels for a PAK97/38 project Im working on. ( I have two of the four pieces, lost the other two in the parts bin. ) Anyway, I picked up two part epoxy resin from a local Micheals store to use, and am just curious if anyone else here has any experience with this type of resin. i.e. How it takes paint and workability compared to the normal resin you would find in most aftermarket sets?

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
Do you have a name of the product? My local Michaels only carries resin used to make water for flower arrangements and the likes. It won't work for casting in RTV molds. If you have a Hobby Lobby near by, they carry Alumalite Casting products which are made for modeling and they work great. You can get a small set which includes both RTV Rubber for the molds and resin to cast parts for about $30.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 03:36 AM UTC
1) Are you sure that the PAK 97/38 used wheel w/the same diameter as the Pak 40?
2) I have spare parts from a Tamiya Pak 40 which I used for a Marder I. You're welcome to them. Cost is better than buying resin too. (Free) Email me if you wan't them.
Precious_rob
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
Gino; the product is called EasyCast. From what I gather its mainly used for jewelry type casting applications. I used a simple clay impression for the mold so no problems on the RTV compatibility. However I will check out that Alumalite you mentioned if I need to do more anymore casting in the future.

Roy; I am uncertain myself if the diameter is correct one, but came up dry looking for aftermarket ones to replace the terrible looking ones that came with the kit. And Ill PM you about the parts.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 12:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

However I will check out that Alumalite you mentioned if I need to do more anymore casting in the future.

Rob, Alumilite is fine for most applications, although I prefer one that gives you a little more work time. Just remember before you buy it that Hobby Lobby is running their 40% off any item coupon again this week.
 _GOTOTOP