_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Masterbox go West - Latest WIPs
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 04:22 AM UTC
Although this report may be of greater interest to those who specialize in historical figures, this New range from Masterbox Ltd.. will doubtless awaken the interest of those who are into conversions - or simply doing something different.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 06:18 AM UTC
Umm, how do I say this nicely? I don't think there were Indian scouts with any Federal units serving in the Union Army unless with Fighting Joe Hooker out on the plains of Minnesota....

But some authentic ACW figures in styrene would be nice, especially if they include some artillery to go with them!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 06:59 AM UTC
The Indian Scout is not from the Cavalry set Bill. To me he looks as if he is loosely based on this Crow scout at the little Big horn from Osprey's book The American Plains Indians

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
Thanks, Pat. I'm the ACW equivalent of a "rivet counter," and we are constantly trying to "persuade" Native-American activists that Indians served during the war, but not in their native dress.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 08:02 AM UTC
If I recall correctly, a few months ago we had pics of in progress calvery trooper with an Indian scout from Master Box. That would place the Indian and mounted trooper in the Plains wars after the civil war by a few years. This is a welcome set to me as a ving. builder, and some confederates and artillery and...
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 08:46 AM UTC
This site talks about the ACW history of the 8th PA:

"After the surrender the regiment moved with the cavalry to Danville, to reinforce Sherman, but after the surrender of Johnston, returned to Petersburg, and soon after was ordered to Lynchburg, where, on the 24th of July, it was consolidated with the Sixteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry. It was mustered out of service with that organization on the 11th of August, 1865, at Richmond.

But apparently it was later reconstituted as the 8th US Cavalry for the Indian Wars. This site talks about MoH winners from the 8th from that conflict, so my reservations about this set are modified to being cautious using it for ACW purposes (the uniforms I believe stayed pretty similar, but the weapons did not). Until I see more detail, I would assume MB is intending it for Indian Wars dioramas.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
Historicals in 1/35? I dunno. It's a bit of a risk on the part of MB, as historical miniaturists may be reluctant to move away from 54mm (loosely converts as 1/32) to the smaller scale. It may appeal to 1/35 scale armour modellers and diorama-ists looking for a change in scenery while maintaining their normal scale. It's not a case of figure modellers being elitist and eschewing plastic or 1/35, it's a case of working in preferred scales and sizes (the same as most 1/35 scale armour modellers seemingly prefer not to work in 1/48).

Personally I'd only buy it for the horses and perhaps the conversion possibilities for the riders.

Just my 0.02c
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:14 AM UTC
Ditto. Looks like it may have potential for a Cossack conversion. But kudos for trying something new.
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 04:00 PM UTC
I've assumed from the very first time I saw this set previewed a few months ago that it was be a Plains Indians War set and not a Civil War set -- despite the fact that all three troopers are wearing kepis. If I remember my Indian Wars history correctly the kepi was not as prominent on the plains, having been replaced by broad brimmed hats because they offered better protection from the sun.

And I disagree about the potential popularity for a set like this. Despite the fact that Dragon's set of 1/35 scale Union soldiers from years back didn't sell well (they never even bothered to produce the Confederate set) I think that if this is done properly and supported with additional sets it could be a decent seller. Just my 2 cents worth.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 08:26 PM UTC

I think it will sell well, Like you say Rudi
Quoted Text

It may appeal to 1/35 scale armour modellers and diorama-ists looking for a change in scenery while maintaining their normal scale.

I think it will appeal to them especially in the US.

And others will buy it for conversion potential - Cossacks, Polish Lancers, etc. And some will buy it for both reasons. I hope it does well for them.
I think what will be more problematic for them will be the Proposed Napoleonic sets they showed here awhile ago or did I dream that?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:14 PM UTC
Pat,

That may have been MiniArt, but I think it was destined to be 1/32.

Rudi
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pat,

That may have been MiniArt, but I think it was destined to be 1/32.

Rudi

Found it - Iwasn't dreaming after all

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/4229&mode=&order=0
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:32 AM UTC
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Any and all injection molded figures from Romans to the Napoleanic Era to Modern day are welcome. Especially since each set of Masterbox figures that comes out is better than the last. I just got the Masterbox "Road to the Rear" set and IMHO it is a phenomenal set.
Great work Masterbox!

Jeff
chrisw
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:13 PM UTC
Hmmm, I don't know.
Anything new in 1/35 styrene is always welcome, but I think this may have a limited audience.
Dragon came out with two sets of 1/35 (or 1/32?) American CIvil War troops ... they sunk with nary a trace, and that line of products vanished.
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:16 PM UTC
I think this is a very good news.
Why ?
Because the subject is interesting
Because you cannot find horses in movement in styrene todays at affordable price
Because many of us cannot afford metal figures in 1/32 at 25€ bearing in mind that they will massacre it
Beacuse as said before conversion possibilityies are huge (I even think of franco prussian war conevrsions).
And because it will please the figure or tank modellers that are fed up with the german ww2 offer in plastic (I'm in this case) to change a little without jumping in somoethin,g completely new
and because you cannot make diorama with 1/32 figures (the price and it's hard to find similar figures in terms of uniform and area).
So I think too that this set will sell. Anyway I will buy one of them.

Julien
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think this is a very good news.
Why ?
Because the subject is interesting
Because you cannot find horses in movement in styrene todays at affordable price
Because many of us cannot afford metal figures in 1/32 at 25€ bearing in mind that they will massacre it
Beacuse as said before conversion possibilityies are huge (I even think of franco prussian war conevrsions).
And because it will please the figure or tank modellers that are fed up with the german ww2 offer in plastic (I'm in this case) to change a little without jumping in somoethin,g completely new
and because you cannot make diorama with 1/32 figures (the price and it's hard to find similar figures in terms of uniform and area).
So I think too that this set will sell. Anyway I will buy one of them.

Julien

AMEN Julien,
Variety is good!!!!!!!
I have both 1/35 ICM WWI sets (British and German) and the Prussian (Franco/Prussian War) Infantry set from ICM (not molded very well at all) and I will get the French Line Infantry set as well. I will buy anything that is not run-of-the-mill.
That is why I wish the more main stream manufacturers would do what Heller did years ago and produce some of the more obscure subjects, i.e., WWII French vehicles / soldiers and Colonial Subjects such as the Senegalese and Arab infantry, etc. I would / do buy any kits that are different and unique...in 1/35 of course.

Jeff
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Umm, how do I say this nicely? I don't think there were Indian scouts with any Federal units serving in the Union Army unless with Fighting Joe Hooker out on the plains of Minnesota....

This Ospreyhas references to native People serving on both sides wearing standard uniforms and various levels of native and European inspired clothing. The figure on the horse was the inspiratio for Alan Ball's Delaware Scout sculpt for Regimental S4 Miniatures:

I don't know that there'd be any rejection of 1/35 figures by figure painters. Most dabble in various scales as it is, 75, 90 120 mm as well as busts. The announcement of the charging figures was quite well received on the figure sites this week.

If either of these kits ever makes it to the retailers, I'd be first in l;ine to get them.
tigerproductions
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 06:46 AM UTC
Are you kidding? They will sell. Just to have those horses in 1/35 styrene is great.

Anyone will be able to clean up the horses and sand off the attachments and use them in a diorama as dead or horses running wild during a fire fight.

The posibilities are endless.

Keep them coming.

Jose
Justin757
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
It's already been said before I think, but I can imagine this set doing pretty well in the US. I'd love to get my hands on it at some point.
 _GOTOTOP