_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Contest
Nov DMoM
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:49 PM UTC
Well troops, we have only received 5 entries for this months contest so it has been decided to cancel the November competition. The five entries that were received will automatically be entered in the next contest.

Now let us not forget that the December contest is only open for novice builders.

cheers
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 08:02 PM UTC
Well, now that's a shame. Maybe finally (???) you (staff) will be doing things like it was told , like you told.... like a thread about submission period for example..... whenever there was a thread of this kind the number of entries was considerable. It's a pity that your actions don't follow your own words.....

So the Entries will go to the January Dmom?

spit
Self-Propelled
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 12:24 AM UTC
I think that if a 'reminder' thread had been posted one or two weeks ago the number of entries by yesterday would have sufficed to not cancel it. It's strange that although there were a few threads about problems with the DMoM posted in October nothing has changed at all, eventhough they included some good suggestions by forum members.
whiteeagle
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 299 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 03:39 AM UTC
Hello

In my opinion, the November DMoM should be proceed normally. I don't know why it isn't enough entries so
But there is a bit unfair decision...If would be only three entries, OK, I would apprehend this, but with five entries it's possible to play November competition...

Cheers!
Adam
fireontheway
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 368 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 04:06 AM UTC
I was actually planning to enter, and honestly I was awaiting a posting that entries were being taken. If Dec is a novice only does that mean no PE/turned barrels/fruil tracks etc.,etc?
whiteeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 04:10 AM UTC
I have checked and for example, in July 2009 were also only five entries.
Now, these five entries must wait two months for January DMoM?
freeguner
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC
Is there any rule about this?

Well, I think cancel of November Competiton is not a good idea. How much Model must be? 6-7 or 25-30? How much will be enough? Well, according to me, 4 or more modell is enough for a competiton. In fact, 5 is more than enough, but again "according to me".. Of course, I know, I am only a "modeler".... Not more..

Özgür.
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 08:35 AM UTC
sometimes I forget myself, an opening thread would be wonderful..and would probably bring alot more entries in..like Timothys mentioned above..I too think five should be enough..and with his, thatd make 6 ..perhaps a little more promoting of the contest would do some wonders as well. as of now, your relying on people who already know about it.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

sometimes I forget myself, an opening thread would be wonderful..and would probably bring alot more entries in..like Timothys mentioned above..I too think five should be enough..and with his, thatd make 6 ..perhaps a little more promoting of the contest would do some wonders as well. as of now, your relying on people who already know about it.

By occasion of threads about DMOMs I proposed it at least 2 or 3 times.... It only worked when Daren Baker was managing the DMOM... good old times. I just can't understand what's so difficult in posting a thread (the best would be pinned). If the staff wants I can make such a post each month. just somebody pin it up...

whiteeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC
Still is the chance to open November competition...But I don't rule here
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:24 PM UTC
Ok troops here's the scoop. If we get 5 more entries by end of play Sunday (00:00 ZULU) I will run the November DMoM. If we don't get the minimum of 10, the Nov entries will be entered inti the January contest.

Now get building!

cheers
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:00 AM UTC
your kidding right? minimum of ten? guess we'll be seeing the DMoM ona quarterly basis.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:09 AM UTC
i might enter a build or so, they have to be newer than a few months yes? i have a few that havent been entered that are recent
lespauljames
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:10 AM UTC
and quit moaning about it . the staf actually have lives to live aswell.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:13 AM UTC
I imagine the new rule will be entered in the DMOM rules: minimum 10 entries or ... nothing.

I haven't seen any comment on the "DMOM submission period open" thread from you Rick or anyone else from the staff.

from a February discussion:

Quoted Text

Rick and I have now taken on the DMoM with the exception that for now Henk will still arrange delivery of the prizes, between Rick and I we hope we can give the DMoM the time and exposure the DMoM needs to keep it the success it has been. We will make a point of posting that we are accepting entries for the DMoM, and count it down as suggested, we will also keep bumping up the number of days left to you all to register your vote. Remember this is run to award the excellent work the membership puts on this website, and it is up to you all to support the DMoM as best you can when you can.

it's here https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/133775&page=2

when will you finally do you what you have told you were going to? Do you want us ordinary members do it (it's not hard to male a simple thread a bout the thing). Come on, it's getting really tiring. You ask us many times what should we do, why it doesn't work etc, etc we DO give you ideas you say you will do it and finally ... you don't come on guys. You want the DMOM alive or dead? It's not clear for me.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
I'm gonna roll with Tim on this item. Five is fine if 3 places are available. I really don't feel 10 is a realistic number even though we have a huge membership. Just too many variables come into play. Holidays,economy, weather, confidence of skill-build and camera, all kinds of Life stuff.
Strictly speaking for myself, I would also prefer periodic forum blurb reminders of DMOM over 'stickys'. I never read 'em. Treat 'em like speed limit signs,really.
Incidently, Last month was the first DMOM for me since 2007...........
Not exactly War production pace is it? I'm not sweating this issue as it's all pleasure gravy anyhow.
Rick
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

your kidding right? minimum of ten? guess we'll be seeing the DMoM on a quarterly basis.

Well we have averaged 12.3 for the first ten months of this year, 12.4 last year, 17.5 in 2007 and, 16.7 in 2006. Yes some months were less than 10, but only one month had less than 7 entries (July '09), so a minimun of 10 is not to much of a stretch.

With all the fuss lately that the DMoM has brought up one would think that the number of entries would be a little higher .

cheers
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With all the fuss lately that the DMoM has brought up one would think that the number of entries would be a little higher .

cheers

well, you take a look on my message above that you seem to ignore and MAYBE you'll understand why it is that way (at least in a part).... pffff
Self-Propelled
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:06 AM UTC
Calm down guys. I also feel that none of the changes suggested a few weeks back have been made. I think the staff needs to work out the issues.
Can somebody just post a reminder thread each month for the DMoM two weeks before submissions are due? It would be a first step in the right direction. If nobody does then I'll do it (serious).
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hi Guys

as I have said in the past please bare with us, we could have pulled the DMOM altogether whilst we worked out how to make it better, and more accessible to the members. But we decided to carry it on in its current form (and yes we all know it requires improving) until we were ready to relaunch it.

The new style DMOM will begin in January so we start the new year fresh, and allow us to work out any potential bugs over the next month or so.

Now to the entry problem, the 10 model limit has been set one one hand to ensure the contest is as wide open as possible with more choices of model and also as part of our deal with the sponsor for the competition, as they are involved as much as we are and not many manufactures will freely give over $100 worth of prizes out and ship any where in the world, with no terms attached so as part of our commitment to them we have the minimum entry requirement of 10 models, and lets be honest based on the amount of models that are currently being built in the forums reaching the figure of 10 should not be that hard.

So for the contest to run every month then we will need the entries otherwise the entries will be rolled over to the next month, I am sorry if you feel that is unfair but that is the way it currently is.

Yep I will hold my hands up and state we didn't post a reminder that the contest entry is coming to an end, but most of you are old hands and have entered before so should know that it is open from the 1st of every month to the end of every month as clearly stated in the rules

Quoted Text

You can enter at any time as each month entries may be submitted for that months contest (all month!) until the final day of the month. A "Submission Open" thread will be posted in the forum as a reminder each month. Entries must be received by the Editor Staff before the last day of the month to be eligible for that month's contest. Public Voting will commence on the 1st of each month or once all entries for that month have been entered in the gallery.

and as i have held my hands up the submission post was missed this month but we are only human, and for some of us this has been quite a busy month in our real lives and as Rick has stated above he has opened the contest for a further period.

cheers

Keith
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:02 AM UTC
There will always be problems with the DMoM due to its efforts to be all things to all people. The staff here have tried all sorts of things to try and make it as fair as possible and as appealing to as many people as possible. I know that a reminder post was not made this month but then it is an easy thing to forget with the run up to Christmas and other real life issues, but come on people there was nothing to stop one or more of you making a post to say "Get your Nov DMoM entries in". No one would have complained and if they did so what!

Everyone here who has been around more than 3 months should be fully aware of when it takes place and when to get their entries in. I do feel that the small advert at the top of the home page needs sorting out and could do with being a better piece of eye candy to draw your attention, but such is. As for Rick with everything he is dealing with at the moment I am amazed he manages to get the entries uploaded let alone anything else.
trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC
There will always be problems when a site relies on a 3rd party for prizes, meeting there demands and making the competition work for the members is nothing short of a magic trick, But if one person takes the time to build and enter in time they should win.
I held a competition, we had one entry that met all the rules the others forfeited in one way or another,he won plain and simple.

trackpads
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:53 AM UTC
Andrew I cannot help but agree with you, however the DMoM does need to meet certain requirements as laid out by DML.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
It *might* not help that there is a pinned post "EVENT RULES Dragon Armor MoM Contest" that dates from May 2006, then above that there is a recent one called "Dragon Model of the Month rules change" that runs to two pages. Even without reading the 2 page thread that looks a bit confusing.

I think it might be a good idea to dump out the 2 page rules change thread and incorporate the rule change into an update of the "EVENT RULES" post.

Just a suggestion - just trying to be helpful.

I think you said 10 entries by Sunday; are you getting anywhere near??
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi Matthew

the whole set up is going through a change, which will launch in January and we have all but reached the target for this month by the look of things

cheers

Keith
 _GOTOTOP