Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Completed M923A1 and M198
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC
Gino, as I don't know enough about this artillery piece - and I'm seriously thinking about getting a kit of it - I have a quick question....On the real gun, can the aiming stakes be attached to the gun while in travel mode (like the sFH18, leFH18, etc) or are they separate and have to be carried somewhere else. Just curious,

Thanks,

Rob
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi Rob, usually, the aiming stakes are not carried on the M198. The poles that are carried are the rammer staff section and they are carried on th einner sides of the trails, near the breech. You can see them on the left trail below.

The aiming stakes are usually carried on the truck or in a netbag when air assaulting.
Crazymoses
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gino,
Why didn't you build an ammo truck. Ammo is not carried in the same truck as your soldiers.

Hey guys...on the rounds, i thought I would provide a little insight since I was brought up on this gun in the 101st. Usually, the rounds and props ARE stored in the same truck with the troops, but they've now switched to 1098s instead of old 5-tons. For the rounds, we use a plastic "egg crate" which is strapped to a pallet at the rear passenger troop area and if memory serves it holds about 12 rounds. In front of that is the pile of prop cans strapped to the floor on the passenger side in front of the round egg crates. Sometimes ammo trucks are used, but usually for re-supply. The basic load of ammo is now stored inside the prime mover. Once the rounds make it to the prime mover, the crate is busted and they are loaded individually into the egg crate. Troops either sit on the driver's side troop seat or on top of the egg crate. There is usually a large wooden box built out of plywood with a lid that all firing equipment is stored in since you've got stuff like tube lights (for road transport), columator, etc, etc that can't be littered all over the floor of the truck.

If any of you need them, I have a few reference pictures of the inside of our prime mover combat loaded from my first deployment in 03.

Crazymoses
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rob, usually, the aiming stakes are not carried on the M198. The poles that are carried are the rammer staff section and they are carried on th einner sides of the trails, near the breech. You can see them on the left trail below.

The aiming stakes are usually carried on the truck or in a netbag when air assaulting.

I second this statement. In our case, the aiming poles were assembled and slid inside the palet that held the egg crate with rounds inside the 1083
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC
Thanks for the secondary checks Vincent. Welcome aboard.
Crazymoses
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:32 AM UTC
Gino, don't know what to say...that is beautifil. Granted, if the back of my truck looked like that I'd have my whole section doing flutter-kicks until I was too tired to call cadence anymore.

Man, your attention to detail is amazing though.

Good work
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:35 AM UTC
Thanks. It is a little messy, but I'll stick to the hasty displacement story. I know their chief will get them all squared away once they get a chance to re-establish firing capability...and time for a little corrective training!!
Crazymoses
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

pleasure to be aboard. It's nice to be surrounded by 13Bs again....They've converted us all to infantry, so it's a rare day when we actually get to throw rounds. My second Iraq tour was convoy gun trucks (up armored 1083 flatbeds with the bedsides ripped off....beautiful truck), the third one was a maneuver mission, now we have another upcoming manuever mission in afghan this time. It's getting old....I miss artillery.

I can't wait for the 777 to come out and (dare I say) Excaliber rounds. A majority of bunnies are now firing excaliber. It's an expensive round, be it nearly eliminates collateral damage. Heck of a round.
Crazymoses
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

pleasure to be aboard. It's nice to be surrounded by 13Bs again....They've converted us all to infantry, so it's a rare day when we actually get to throw rounds. My second Iraq tour was convoy gun trucks (up armored 1083 flatbeds with the bedsides ripped off....beautiful truck), the third one was a maneuver mission, now we have another upcoming manuever mission in afghan this time. It's getting old....I miss artillery.

I can't wait for the 777 to come out and (dare I say) Excaliber rounds. A majority of bunnies are now firing excaliber. It's an expensive round, be it nearly eliminates collateral damage. Heck of a round.

Oh yeah, we've also moved to MACS (modular artillery charge system) charges instead of the white/green/red bags which are much simpler. Now instead of a 3 green bag for short range stuff, you just throw a single macs in there and each charge is packed inside cardboard. The igniter pads are on both sides, so no more "I see red". You'd be surprised how much they've advanced artillery lately. I will say though, the MACS charges smell awful. Gone are the days of sucking in the dragon breath (or wolf ***** as it's also called). these things stink and the smoke gives you a migrane. They kinda took that nostalgic element out of artillery.
Crazymoses
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
oh yeah...one more thing I noticed that I thought was pretty cool. The tires on the 198.

The standard tire for the 198 is the bias-ply trailer tire and not the beefy treaded tire like the prime mover tire. HOWEVER, during the Iraq invasion the Army expiramented with putting a prime mover tire on the 198 since the terrain will killing the bias ply tire and 198 tires were everywhere. They cut the outer rim from the FMTV wheel and mounted it to the inner rim of the stock 198 wheel and the end product was that beefy mutant tire you have on your 198. Our batallion was one of the units chosen to field test this tire mod so I had this mod on my own 198 and can provide zillions of pics for reference. You have to leave the CTIS (central tire inflation system) manifolds from the FMTV on the wheel since the filler valve was a different size. Also...these tires weren't a complete success because although they handled beautifully in rugged terrain the tire diameter was larger than the stock tires. When the gun was emplaced and the wheels were up on the blocks, the tire was so big the assistant gunner had to reach behind the tire when cranking his handwheel to elevate/depress the tube and thus had no leverage. Naturally, this slowed down the fire mission process as most of the wait is on the AG to get that big tube at the right elevation. I was that poor fool and it REALLY sucked.

So...whether you intended it or not, your 198 is equipped with the prototype modular tire upgrade. I'll do some digging and see if I can find the written details for the actual wheel mod so you can provide a mod number for any future nay sayers. Now you've had your daily dose of useless information.

Cya
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC
Great to hear about the latest upgrades. I have been away from tube arty for a while. My last assignment was XO of 1-21 FA (MLRS). I had heard the new charges were coming. Too bad the ol' wolf**ssy is gone. Gotta love thet smell.

I did get to see some of the Excaliber rounds in action on my last trip to the sandbox though. They are dead-on accurate. Good stuff.

Good to know the tires on my M198 are the newer version. It was totally unintended, just what came in the kit.

Thanks for the updates.
Crazymoses
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 07:09 AM UTC
yeah, your MLRS pieces have been replaced by the HIMARS system now. Same box and munitions, just mounted on an FMTV chassis. The local PX has the forces of valor version of the himars and I have to admit it looks pretty nice.

take it easy.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

yeah, your MLRS pieces have been replaced by the HIMARS system now. Same box and munitions, just mounted on an FMTV chassis. The local PX has the forces of valor version of the himars...

Only in the Light Fires BDEs. Heavy Fires BDEs still use M270 SPLLs. I think there will be a total of 3 Light FBDEs when they are fully fielded.

Speaking of the FOV HIMARS, I have seen it and thought about getting one and using the launcher mechanism and mounting it on the forthcoming M1084 from Trumpeter. It is supposed to be out in the spring. Might just need to make one as a Prime Mover for my other M198 as well. We'll see. So many models, so little time.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi gino, nicely finished .what paints did you use for the camo,looks good.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Jesper.

Quoted Text

See when you spot check someone no one is to say anything because you and your cronies attack that person, but constructive criticism doesn't suit you. And I'm sure I'll
be attacked by your little ones. But I'm Sure of myself so!!!

No one is attacking you, you can say what you like. I also know I have seen and have put big bullets with powder in a truck together with the crew. Maybe is wasn't by the reg, but that is how it was.

I can take constructive criticism just fine and have often made changes from it, often not.

We all have opinions, no one is going to attack you over yours, so just relax and get over it. People attack you when you post stupid temper tantrums, not constructive criticism.

Hey Gino,
Why so touchy? I know you can't take it when some one points something out to you. It's Gino's world. I just point something out to you and you say I'm having a temper tantrum. This is going out to all your little cronies the point I was thying to make just check out Model Military International, Issue 13, May 2007. It is the 2ACR now the 2SCR.
AIRBORNE!!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just point something out to you and you say I'm having a temper tantrum.

You just don't get it. I was referring to your earlier posts that you got stupid in on another subject and were pounced on. Funny, I don't see all these cronies that you keep referring to. They must be there in Joey's world. I guess you just have issues that you need to deal with. So be it.
Crazymoses
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 10:54 AM UTC
I'm one of Gino's cronies...He pays me in gum. it's got layers. I'd be crazy not to be paid in gum.

(sorry guys, couldn't help it.....I probably shouldn't have went there)
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 12:44 PM UTC
Thanks a lot for the explanation Gino and Vincent. Interesting that they are not carried on the gun itself.

Rob
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm one of Gino's cronies...He pays me in gum. it's got layers. I'd be crazy not to be paid in gum.

Man, you're killing me. I thought it was LifeSavers.

Quoted Text

Hi gino, nicely finished .what paints did you use for the camo,looks good.

Whoops, sorry spoons, I missed your question earlier with the distraction. The paint for the camo is Testors Model Master Enamels; Flat Black, Medium Green, and Field Drab. I sprayed them on with my airbrush.
LemonJello
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:00 PM UTC
Ok, so I'm working on the trails for my 198, and the directions show these little tires that are supposed to mount to each leg and I'm thinking "WTF?" I've never seen those before...I think I'll be leaving them off, as this one is going to be set up to fire.

The Trumpy kit has rounds, but I was wondering what the powder comes in? Wood crate? Cardboard box? Metal ammo can?

I'm hoping that eventually someone will make a MTVR so I can have another 198 being towed, oh and while I'm wishing, they could jump on getting a 777 out in plastic, too.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:19 PM UTC
Hi John, the powder comes in metal tubes. You can see them in the middle of the below pic.

And here:

AFV Club makes a great set of 155mm and 203mm ammo and powder cans, comes with decals for them too.

Yup, toss the little tires. The US doesn't use them.

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long on the M1084 FMTV. Trumpeter is supposed to be coming out w/one in the spring. There was an announcement w/built-up pics here a while ago.

We'll see on the M777. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 10:48 PM UTC
Looks good Gino.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 12:38 AM UTC
Thanks Dave.
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 02:18 PM UTC
Gino, absolutely fantastic! My one comment is that I have never seen a 198 barrel that was painted completely. All the ones I have seen (granted I have not seen them all) have no paint on the middle of the barrel (might be solid film lubricant?). See your pic of the 198 in the desert. Great work (as usual). Automatic Steel!
Crazymoses
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 04:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino, absolutely fantastic! My one comment is that I have never seen a 198 barrel that was painted completely. All the ones I have seen (granted I have not seen them all) have no paint on the middle of the barrel (might be solid film lubricant?). See your pic of the 198 in the desert. Great work (as usual). Automatic Steel!

Whoa...I can't believe I missed that considering I've been one for 4 years. You're correct...The rear half of the barrel is bare metal as it slides into the upper carriage during recoil. It's a pain in the butt because we were constantly scrubbing the weekly rust off the tube and covering it with a fresh very light coat of WTR.

Good catch.....Still an absolutely beautiful model though.