_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman DD - What Chance in Plastic?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi guys,

With all the recent Sherman additions, many of which I never thought I'd see in plastic, who do you think, if anyone, might produce a 1/35 Plastic Injection Kit of the Duplex Drive version?

This I would think would be a highly popular model, it's certainly one on the Holy Grail list for me.

Al
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 10:43 PM UTC
I'd be definitely in for one of those... Here's hoping for Santa!

Cheerio!
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hey Al,
I would definitely be interested in a DD tank in plastic.
Was tempted to get the old Resicast kit but I found the cost prohibitive
Dragon would be the first manufacturer that comes to mind, perhaps Tasca.
Here's hoping ????
Cheers and Merry Christmas all

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hi John,

Merry Christmas to you to.

Yes, those would be the most obvious but AFV would also be a possible as they brought us all those great versions of the Churchill and seem to have the ethos of giving the customer what they want.

It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, breaks new ground with this one.

Al
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:20 AM UTC
No matter who eventually does one, modelers will complain that they made the swim barrier erected, that they made the swim barrier stowed or they made the swim barrier removed (for inland operations). It would be neat to have the kit available and I agree it would be a big seller, especially if they make it a 3 in 1 kit that allows you to build it with the barrier up, down or removed.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No matter who eventually does one, modelers will complain that they made the swim barrier erected, that they made the swim barrier stowed or they made the swim barrier removed (for inland operations). It would be neat to have the kit available and I agree it would be a big seller, especially if they make it a 3 in 1 kit that allows you to build it with the barrier up, down or removed.

yes a 3 in 1 would be the job.

Cheers

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, those would be the most obvious but AFV would also be a possible as they brought us all those great versions of the Churchill and seem to have the ethos of giving the customer what they want.

Hey Al,
AFV Club just might take up the challenge, their T-34's being a perfect example of a kit that's already been thoroughly covered by a competitor.
As Sabot said, a 3 in 1 kit would certainly fit the bill, covering all aspects of the DD tank's combat operations !!!
Here's hoping !!
Cheers

jjumbo
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:07 AM UTC
I don't see why not. The screen could be done using the fine flexible Vinyl that AFV club and DML have both used for Mantlet covers. I would love to see a collapsed screen version myself but don't see why they cant offer both versions as seperate kits. DML have the four hull types in the range already so they have a good heads up to getmore return on investment but Tasca have only the M4A4 and small hatch without a new hull being tooled for both the M4A2 and M4A1 late hull DD's.
I'd be happy with either manufacturer (or anyone else for that matter) but I'd prefer a Tasca one.
Here's hoping that one day we will see this important weapon system done in mainstream media.
Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Yes, the technology should be there now to make a cracking kit of this vehicle.

Maybe in 2010 ??

Al
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC
I think this will come out soon, possibly for Dragon's "commited to the modeler 5" campaign, along with the late M4A3. After all, they are releasing every other variant of the M4 they can find. They've done the same with the Panther, including the ertatz M10. Tasca might be another one to do it, and AFV club has done a great job with the kits they have released. They just take a while getting things out sometimes. Maybe Academy will suprise everyone. Just as long as it makes it to the shelves.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:08 PM UTC
I would love to see a DD sherman or a Sherman with Wading stacks for the MTO, PTO, and the ETO. Just one question, the DD sherman has canvas tarps that can be retracted up and down right? so how can it be reproduced in plastic without having to assemble 154531 pieces like some of the DML kits?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 01:58 PM UTC
It would be nice, but I won't hold my breath.

Last time I said that was about a new M3 Half track, and then "Big Lizard Company" released a whole flock of them
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 02:14 PM UTC
What is the chance I could when a million bucks in the lottery? It could happen. What is the chance I could be hit by a meteor? It could happen. What is the chance someone will release a DD Sherman in plastic? It could happen. What are the odds........that's something completely different.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would love to see a DD sherman or a Sherman with Wading stacks for the MTO, PTO, and the ETO. Just one question, the DD sherman has canvas tarps that can be retracted up and down right? so how can it be reproduced in plastic without having to assemble 154531 pieces like some of the DML kits?

It would be a pretty full on kit to achieve not just the base model Shermn but the whole DD kit. The Skirt could easily be reproduced by using the thin Vinyl that DMl and AFV have used for mantlet covers in the past. A folded screen would be the easiest to achieve in 35th but an option of a raised one could be included. This would be a great bragging rights kit (if done well) for any manufacturer.
Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 11:41 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

Yip, Mur[phy's Law

Hi Al,

DML look like the best bet then - lets see if they come up to the chanllenge. This version must be one of the most desireable yet to come to the mainstream.

Cheers

Al
Torchy
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 11:47 PM UTC
I would love a 3 in 1 DD Sherman,please please please
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:10 AM UTC
I have often wondered why no-one has done a Sherman DD before, especially Dragon given their propensity for multiple boxings of one subject,

Having said that, with the current price of Dragon kits in the UK, you may as well get the Resicast conversion!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:21 AM UTC
I don't think it will happen anytime soon, not in 2010 anyway and not until someonescratchbuilds one or builds the resicast version online

If DML ever do one can you imagine what the instruction sheet will be like
SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi all and Merry Xmas,
The way things are looking why not have a go at scratchbuilding and come on over to the "Dark Side"

I think dad (Barv) done one in 1/72 scale but I'm sure his would have had a swim barrier that would have been able to be erected or lowered

Not sure if I've seen something on building it on here but sure someone has done it.

Something to look into

Steve C Jnr
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think it will happen anytime soon, not in 2010 anyway and not until someonescratchbuilds one or builds the resicast version online

If DML ever do one can you imagine what the instruction sheet will be like

- Oh ye of little faith!!!!

Sherman wise the Duplex Drive version must be one of the most desireable. I can wait another 2 years!!

The trouble with buying the Resicast one is I want several

Happy Hols Pat.

Al
Capt_Concussion
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:23 PM UTC
A DD would be great....

but be careful what you wish for. If anyone releases a '3 in1' kit - you'll all be complaining that you need to buy the kit three times as you can't decide which one to build
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A DD would be great....

but be careful what you wish for. If anyone releases a '3 in1' kit - you'll all be complaining that you need to buy the kit three times as you can't decide which one to build

Al
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 06:23 AM UTC
Why don't one of you brave souls take about six months to build a scratch built DD. That way some manufacturer will be sure to come out with one about a week before you're finished. Proof of the surest law of plastic model building, "if you scratch build it they will come out with it."

Then the rest of us can pick one up from Lucky Models or some place for a quarter of what you paid for all the extras you put into it.

Obviously just kidding folks. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for somebody to come out with one. Maybe Italeri? They are doing a lot of floating things right now.
SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 04:51 PM UTC
Know what you mean Rodger,
Once or twice dad started scratching a vehicle (after spending up to a year getting all the details and sizes) only for it to come out a month or 2 before he'd finished or just after
Mind you his was one of a kind probably with more detail
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 02:30 AM UTC
If it was German there would already be 3 or 4 kits available.
 _GOTOTOP