Hosted by Darren Baker
Initial Production Tiger I
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 12:49 PM UTC
madmax5510 suggested that I place this as a topic here after veiwing my Tiger I on the Campaigns forums so heres My first post topic for this year - thanks Dani.

Here was my project contribution for the 'Let's Get Small' Campaign. This is Dragon's 72nd scale Initial Production Tiger I kit #7370.

After reading through Marco Sari's detailed Initial Production Tiger I kit review I just had to add it to the stash!

The model represents an August produced intital production Tiger I, one of the first four tanks, delivered to Schwere Pz.Abt. 502, forming the 1st platoon of the 1st company, tactical turret number 121, as would have been seen sometime in mid October 1942 with a field workshop applied panzer III turret storage bin, grab handles near both gun trunnions and front support brackets for spare track links. As the kit comes with only one marking and painting option I used the following items to render my model.

* Turret storage bin from the Revell Panzer III Ausf. L kit.
* Generic German turret numbers - white, Archer #AR74001W.
* Modified 3 tank maintenance figures for use as crew figures, Preiser #72507.
* Tools from Dragon Tiger I F-13 kit #7357.
* Removed and relocated jack block. Fabricated various items and replaced some parts using strip and rod styrene and brass rod.
* Painted with Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics and weathered with oils, Mig pigments, Rustall and Prismacolor pencils.

Incidently, my kit example came packaged with two right handed track links and not the mirrored links that should have been in the kit. Someone over at M-L website had painstakenly researched the track links as delivered on the first intital production Tiger I's and discovered that tactical turret number 121 was in fact delivered with just this track combination of two right handed track links and not the mirrored links. Go figure . . .

This is my first attempt at using crew figures. Hope you like it?

Thanks for stopping by to veiw. May you have a happy and enjoyable one this year . . .

-Eddy
wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 01:27 PM UTC
WOW eddy that is Sierra Hotel. very nicley done. The figs look reall good too.
p96260
Visit this Community
Guangdong, China / 简体
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:04 PM UTC
Very well, I like the figs too
harleyd53
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 07:33 PM UTC
Hi Eddy, You done a very good job on your tiger.............Monty
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 07:49 PM UTC
Great job Eddy,thanks for sharing
Andy
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 09:11 PM UTC
That's an incredible build - it looks like a much larger scale.

May I ask why you moved the jack block?

David
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 11:03 PM UTC
Eddy, my compliments to your fine build. Have seen this in one of the campaign threads and had to look at it again when I read it was in 1/72! Thanks for sharing. Cheers -- Tat
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hello Eddy,

your Tiger is marvelous!

The added extras are excellent like the cables for the lamp sockets, and somehow unbelievable like the cables of the headphones and especially the pins of the Panzer III storage box.

And the scratch built tools are simply masterful.

The most beautiful part /section of your Tiger are IMO the exhaust pipes.

"As the kit comes with only one marking and painting option..."

It seems that DML have planned something more with this kit.

On sprue 'A' there are some parts of the Panzer III storage bin.

Either they initially wanted to provide some more vehicle versions in one kit or they produce them separately at a later date...

BTW: Could you please explain which parts you have used for the open cupola hatch as it is only depicted so on the kit's box but not in the instruction?

Top notch work, Eddy!
Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 09:10 PM UTC
Marc,
Thanks for dropping in, your comments are much appriciated. I still need to uncross my eyes how about you?

Zane,
It's good to hear from you again! You gave me the inspiration to complete my build. I admire your excellent Tiger 100 and would take a look at it whenever I felt unmotivated and that kept me going!

Monty,
Thanks Monty! Hope to see some of your stuff here too and if not just enjoy viewing all of the builds here at Armorama as much as I do. And welcome to the hangout!

Andy,
Thanks for dropping in too! Your comments are also much appreciated by me.

Tat,
Thank you too for dropping in, I appreciate your comments too!

Marco,
Thanks for dropping in my friend! Marco, I simply used the same cupola hatch parts supplied in the kit without any modifications. Just make sure to check your referances to see how both the hatch parts sit with respect to each other when the hatch sits in the fully open position and fully closed position as there is a differance as to how the arm with the springs sit against the hatch. Photos would be a better way of showing you this. Appriciate your comments Marco.

And David, the Tiger I Master,
I removed the jack block from its location on the right rear armor plate to the forword chassis deck location because I was unable to locate any photos with the jack block on the rear armor plate. The only known photo, that I know of, showing the back of tiger 121 was shortly taken after the Russians had captured it in January 1943. This photograph is 15th from the top of the page found on the Missing-Lynx Discussion Group 'Tiger tracks' article by Zheng Tang (with a few photo caption errors - who's perfect).

This article is where I aquired the information about the right hand side set of tracks for Tiger 121. Unfortunately the photograph, in this article or of the same ones that I managed to find on the Internet, are not clear enough to indicate any welded items that I could discern to support a jackblock or any items at that location. The referances that I used for making a decision for removal of the jack block are listed below. Tiger 111, 112, 121 and 122 delivered to sPz. Abt. 502 in August 1942 were, as you may already know, not equipt with the same external equipment arragement or number of items that the late August and September produced Tiger I's were already being equipt with from the factory. Although being an August produced vehicle Tiger 100 was not delivered to sPz. Abt. 502 until September 25, 1942, according to 'Tigers In Combat I' inventory (Deliveries) log.

Photographs of Tiger 111 also shows a unique external equipment arragement made by the units field workshop in September without a jackblock located at the rear armor plate or the panzer III storage bin that was later added by the unit field workshop. Now I may be completely wrong in removing the jackblock from that location? I was just making my best guess with the little referances that I have at hand and of the available photographs of Tiger 121 on the Internet.

* Germany's Tiger Tanks D.W. to TIGER I by Jentz & Doyle (3.2.1.17 - Pg 36, 3.4.1.4 - Pg 73).
Explains the external equipment.
* Tigers In Combat I by Schneider (Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 (511) - Pg 5 & 6, Pg 73 - 115).
* Tiger I . info - Yes, I used your outstanding website for all of the modifications that I preformed on the kit during my build.
* The Modelers Guide to the Tiger Tank by Patrick Stansell. (A must have if your going to build more than one Tiger - IMHO).

I sincerely would appreciate any feedback that you may have about the jackblock or any other items that you know about that may be out of place on my build as I have in mind to add this vehicle to a diorama sometime this year and would at least like to get it right before that happens. Thanks for dropping in David, and for your comments it is much appriciated.

Again, thanks to all for dropping in I really appriciate your support and kindness.

-Eddy
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 09:58 PM UTC
There are more photos of 121 in a slim Russian softcover book, I can't translate the name right now. It is wrecked after being shot up on the firing range, but we can see the remains of the tool supports. There was unquestionably a jack block on the rear, and beside it the track toolbox, just like Tiger 100. In fact this layout was apparently used on several of the "initial" Tigers, though not on 111.

The jack block had its usual four corner holders and one metal strap. The track toolbox sat on two strips of metal, themselves supported by triangular fillets. It had two metal straps. Here, I can make more drawings if it will help.

The tool stowage on the Initial Tigers has been preoccupying me for weeks, with Dragon's 1/35 kit coming up for re-release. Anything else that I would change? I don't know if the crowbars were angled or parallel to the side. And (bombshell) I'm sure that the tanks carried tow cables.

David
Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 02:18 PM UTC
David,

Thanks for your quick and informitive reply. I can easily change the location of the jack block and add the track tool box. The tow cables would also not be a problem. The information concerning the two diagonally mounted recking bars is found in the D.W. to Tiger I by Jentz & Doyle at the top of page 85 where you will also find a photograph with this configuration.

My question is, at what point during the time of delivery for Tiger 121, along with the three other Tiger's (111, 112 & 122) that were initially delivered to s.Pz Abt 502, where they upgraded to the final configuration as seen in the photos of both captured Tiger's 100 and 121? As I have my model depicted as seen in mid October 1942 before Tiger 111 recieved its panzer III storage bin. I appreciate your offer of making more drawings beside the one you posted but it is clear enough for me to be able to render the required changes at the rear armor plate, should that become nessesary per the time frame of my model.

Again, thanks so much David . . .

-Eddy
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 09:41 PM UTC
Eddy:
That's a tough question. We have few photos of these tanks, and in most cases they have winter camouflage already.

This photo of 123 in grey paint is the earliest that shows the tools all installed. The tow cable is sitting loose on the deck, but I believe I can see the cleaning-rod holders are wide enough to hold cables too. Unfortunately the tank has a Pz3 stowage bin.

So, I can't help you, and we have to assume that the tools and the bin were added together.

David

DioRandy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 10:34 PM UTC
Eddy,
Fantastic job in any scale, but superb in 1/72!
I finally have Dragon's 1/35 scale Initial Tiger ready for painting. I'm going to attempt my first whitewash to match the Tank crew and both sets of Tristar tank riders in winter gear. I may try the hairspray technique. Let's hope it works!
Randy
madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 12:48 AM UTC
Edy, as I said, you did an excellent job both with the figurines and the tank...looks more like a tank in scale 1 /35.I have this kit and I wish to look like yours when I finish'em...Again congratulations!!!

Cheers!!

Dani
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 04:21 AM UTC
Eddy, I discover you sweet tiger. Exceptional work in ... 1/72!!

thanks for sharing

spit
Panther64
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 365 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 11:17 AM UTC
Eddy-

Simply beautiful! Some day....some day.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
I must annoy you again, I'm afraid.

I agree that the tanks carried two 1200mm crowbars. And I think they were in the diagonal position, as we can see in photos, for at least the first batch of tanks that arrived.

But when you add the two cables, this position becomes untenable.

From studying photos of "100" and "3", I think the crowbars were then placed as shown here. The red mark indicates the clasp.

David

Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 03:00 AM UTC
David,

Nothing to worry about here your in no way annoying me! As a matter of fact I truely appreciate you having the patience and taking time to help me correct my build. I would like to have this tiny build turn out as accurately as possible with the most current information available. I am currently fighting a terrible head cold but will post some more questions again for you here this weekend.

Again, thank you so very much.

-Eddy
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 11:05 AM UTC
Lovely work on the Tiger. I like the crew figures as they add scale and life to the build.
Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 01:36 PM UTC
Randy,
Thanks for dropping by . . . I've seen some of your work posted here and also read about your loss too, sorry. I'm certain that your Initial Tiger I will turn out as outstanding as your other builds. I'll be looking out for it!

Dani,
Thanks again for your support.

Pawel,
Yes, its a tiny tank! Hoping that my larger projects (Tiger II's) will turn out half as breathtaking as yours.

Kerry,
Thank you! It is much appriciated.

Michael,
Thanks for support and for dropping by. I agree that crew figures add life and help define scale to a build. I always admire your figures on your builds. Keep them coming!

David,
I have already aquired the needed items to begain upgrading Tiger 121. However, I would like to ask you some questions before I begin.

1) The placment of the jack block and track tool box is highly probable so I am going ahead with this part of the upgrading as per your supplied drawing.

2) I will be adding the 32mm diameter X 8.2 meters long towing cable set. The photograph on pg. 85 in the Tiger I book by Jentz & Doyle umistakenly shows at least one of the towing cables drapped over the turret before the smoke candle dischargers were added to the already welded on brackets on the turret sides. This is a clear enough indication for addding the tow cable set as per your posting. I will also be adding the tow cable clamps midways on the chassis upper deck edges as per Tiger 100. My question here is, would there have also been a set of tie down cable clamps for securing each of the towing eye hooks on the rear deck and one tie down clamp on each side near the front chassis hatches for each cable as seen on the September produced vehicles?

3) I will be moving only one of the two 1200mm long crowbars to the left side of the chassis deck as per your posted drawing but moving the crowbar clamp to just above center positon on the crowbar. In place of the second crowbar on the right side of the chassis deck I will be adding a wire cutter in approximately the same location. The wire cutter and placement of the 1200mm long crowbar and crowbar clamp are as per the Dragon 6252 Tiger I drawing instructions as this would most likely have been correct for Tiger 121 as seen in mid October. Only the first batch of Tiger I's (111,112, 121 and 122) came already equipt from the factory with the diagonally mounted smaller 1200mm crowbars. By September 1942 only one 1800mm long crowbar on the left side of the chassis deck was being installed at the factory. However, the smaller 1200mm crowbar in place of the 1800mm crowbar can be seen on photographs on some Tiger I's up until December 1942. I agree that the field workshop unit would have moved the crowbars from there original diagonal position on the first batch of tanks to the configuration as per your drawing. There may also have been a number of late August produced Tiger I's issued with the two smaller 1200 mm crowbars as per your drawing?

4) Finally, I will be adding a sledge hammer to the chassis deck just in front of the left side crew hatch again as per the Dragon 6252 Tiger I drawing instructions.

Even with the current available information there are no absolutes. And in many cases there is unfortunately not enough clear and concise information or photographs available to be able to render a truly accurate vehicle. We can only work with what is currently available until newer information surfaces. I sincerly apprciate the time you have already given to me on this project. I have a stash of 35th scale Dragon Initial Production Tiger I's that I plan on putting together and would like to render them as accurately as is possible. I can understand why you have been so preoccuped with Dragon's 35th scale Initial Production re-release.

I'll await for your reply before going ahead with the upgrading.

Again, thank you and everyone for your support on this tiny tank, it is very much appriciated.
-Eddy
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 07:56 PM UTC
Eddy:

With these tanks, we're working from poor photos, no survivors and no documentation, so a 100% certain answer is not possible.
The layout of the cables should be as shown on Page 87 of "DW to Tiger 1".

Regarding the tool layout, I may as well show you what I sent to Dragon regarding my opinion on this:

David

It allows for two crowbars, which I believe was the correct number.

I got this layout from this photo (I have access to a better copy that is privately held)

If you're interested, I have also made up a camouflage diagram for 100 in its whitewash scheme, as seen here:

David
Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 08:58 PM UTC
David,

Oh Wow! After viewing the photograph above that you so kindly posted I will be revising the tool layout as per all of your posted drawings. There is a good possibility that Tiger 111's tool arrangement may also have been revised to this later configuration sometime after it was photographed in September with its early unique tool arrangement? My understanding is that a team of factory technicians was attached to the field unit work shop to help solve many of the technical problems to keep these initial production tanks operational.

David, yes I would be very honored and interested in your camouflage diagram for Tiger 100 in its whitewash scheme. Incidentally, I'm looking forward to Dragon's Initial Production Tiger I re-release.

I sincerely appreciate your time and effort in helping me with this build. I will post some in progress and completed photos here as time permits.

Again, thank you so very much it is truly appreciated by me and I'm sure many of the viewers too!
-Eddy
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 10:14 PM UTC

wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 02:15 AM UTC
Building the same kit, I am needless to say, following this conversation closely. I had a small list of questions I was going to ask David, but you took care of that Eddy. So it must be true what they say about great minds.

I look forward to see what you do with yours Eddy. And now that I don’t have to ask what to do with the hammer, I hope David answers about if there were clamps at the cables ends and the loop at the front.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 11:04 PM UTC
I can't see them in any photo that I have access to. But I think they would have to be there.

David
 _GOTOTOP