AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Cleaning Your Airbrush
gaborka
Visit this Community
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:36 AM UTC
Ah I see. I am not a big chemist, sorry.

j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
Thanks alot Matt .Alot of great tips
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Matt

Can I use lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol in the tank instead of water to strip off enamel paints?

No. Ultrasonic cleaners are not designed to be used with solvents.

Matt is absolutely right, and please don't ask me how I know
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 04:57 PM UTC
I run warm water from a slowly flowing faucet through the paint intake on my Paasche mil then backflush with faucet water still flowing, pull out the needle wipe the needle down and pass it through completely with the tip removed wiping needle each time, maybe weird? but seems to be working fine.I tear it down every few month to inspect and remove any gunk from air valve ect.I run the compressor at 30 psi for all this...maybe overkill? tamiya acryl or MM acryl is the usual paint.
MikeMx
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi
I have a few questions after reading the thread. First of all though, I have a Badger 200GF and have been using the Badger airbrush cleaner and water to clean it. I also mainly use acrylics. I want to give it a good clean as I think it maybe a bit clogged even though i clean it after each colour I use.
I'm sure I read soaking it overnight in meths or white spirits might work - any comments?
All the cleaning products mentioned are obviously American brands I've never heard of - what are the equivilent UK brands? I'm not into cleaning products but at least if I know the UK brands I can look out for them.
What kinda shops sell distilled water? Might sound daft but what about mineral water?

thanks
Mike
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 09:21 AM UTC
For distilled water, try your pharmacy or grocer. I wouldn't recomment mineral water as it will contain various compounds that will clog your brush worse than the paint. You might also consider isopropal alcohol (sorry about the spelling). Finally, for really tough globs, consider, very carefully, using laquer thinner. It'll probably get out the clots but it may melt plastic items you don't want to melt. Experience talking there.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 05:23 PM UTC
Guys

A very interesting thread, but about one thing I am very curious. I use Tamiya acrylics exclusively for my airbrushing, and previously used either Tamiya acrylic thinner, methylated spirits or isopropyl alchohol to clean the beast.

Lately, however, I have been using Tamiya's own airbrush cleaner, and I was surprised not to see it mentioned in this thread. It comes in the same size bottle as their enamel and acrylic thinners (ie 250ml) and is the same rectangular shape, only it has a bright pink lid. It stinks when you're using it, but it seems to do the job. I usually just blow through a couple of cups full then backwash.

Anybody else had any experience with it ?

Cheers

Rob

doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
I have a few questions after reading the thread. First of all though, I have a Badger 200GF and have been using the Badger airbrush cleaner and water to clean it. I also mainly use acrylics. I want to give it a good clean as I think it maybe a bit clogged even though i clean it after each colour I use.
I'm sure I read soaking it overnight in meths or white spirits might work - any comments?
All the cleaning products mentioned are obviously American brands I've never heard of - what are the equivilent UK brands? I'm not into cleaning products but at least if I know the UK brands I can look out for them.
What kinda shops sell distilled water? Might sound daft but what about mineral water?

thanks
Mike

Paasche reccomends not soaking the airbrush in solvents ect,I am guessing the other brands are the same? I am just not that finicky about using our pristine Idaho water granted I do periodically completely disassemble and clean up with solvents I sure am not pro but this works for me
gaborka
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC
Solvents are not recommended for soaking because they may attack the sealing rings and subsequently leave residues that are hard to remove. The metal bodies of the airbrushes aren't supposed to be affected by solvents.

j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 10:13 AM UTC
I recently bought a ultra sonic cleaner from e bay,I paid $35 dollars for it.It does a ecellent job.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC
D'oh

Quoted Text

Solvents are not recommended for soaking because they may attack the sealing rings

Left the glass part of an eyedropper sitting in laquer thinner while I airbrushed some parts. Returned to find that the thinner was eating away at the PLASTIC tray I was soaking the eyedropper in.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

thanks
Mike

Mike you can get distilled water from Halfords or other motor parts shops, while 'Medea Airbrush Cleaner' is available from good airbrush shops.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 12:20 PM UTC
Hi fellas,
This is a great thread!
Okay, I'm a newbie at this modelling lark. Very damn newbie, in fact!
I haven't even started airbrush painting yet as I'm still in the building stage of my models.
I decided to really splash out some time ago on an Iwata Custon Micron B with an Iwata compressor but I'm scared sh*tless of using it because of what we are all talking about here in this thread!
After reading this thread it looks like I'll invest in an ultrasonic cleaner but can any of you guys give me some good advice on how to use the Iwata airbrush, clean it & keep it like new, please?
You can answer in this thread or even PM me or email me. My email you'll find in my profile.
I'm really looking forward to your help to give me some confidence for my modelling future.
Thanks a million fellas.
Joe.
gaborka
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D'oh

Quoted Text

Solvents are not recommended for soaking because they may attack the sealing rings

Left the glass part of an eyedropper sitting in laquer thinner while I airbrushed some parts. Returned to find that the thinner was eating away at the PLASTIC tray I was soaking the eyedropper in.

Yes, yes, "hot" solvents are dangerous stuff.

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi fellas,
This is a great thread!
Okay, I'm a newbie at this modelling lark. Very damn newbie, in fact!
I haven't even started airbrush painting yet as I'm still in the building stage of my models.
I decided to really splash out some time ago on an Iwata Custon Micron B with an Iwata compressor but I'm scared sh*tless of using it because of what we are all talking about here in this thread!
After reading this thread it looks like I'll invest in an ultrasonic cleaner but can any of you guys give me some good advice on how to use the Iwata airbrush, clean it & keep it like new, please?
You can answer in this thread or even PM me or email me. My email you'll find in my profile.
I'm really looking forward to your help to give me some confidence for my modelling future.
Thanks a million fellas.
Joe.

Hi Joe,
As far as how to clean your Iwata and keep it like new, well, read this whole thread! I don't know what else to add!
To learn how to use your Iwata, I suggest you go here - http://www.howtoairbrush.com/
Video demonstrations, tutorials, and step by step lessons, all free! I think this is the best site on the web for airbrush lessons!
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hi Matt,
Now this is exactly what I need!
Thanks my friend, for pointing me in the right direction!
All the very best to you.
Joe.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt,
Now this is exactly what I need!
Thanks my friend, for pointing me in the right direction!
Joe.

Thanks Joe, and enjoy your new airbrush! If you get stuck, just post on this forum.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC
Will do Matt,
I've read a couple of your threads & I have to say tha you are a font of knowledge.
It's eye opening reading what you have to say, sometimes.
Take care for now.
Joe.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 05:35 AM UTC
Hi Matt,
I'm just curious but would you recommend having 2 airbrushes?
I've heard that some modellers do.
Joe.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC
Hi Joe,
As a matter of fact, I have 3 airbrushes in the rack on my bench.
An Iwata Revolution CR, .5mm nozzle.
A Tamiya HG (same brush as the Iwata HP-C+, made by the same company, BB Rich), .3mm nozzle.
A Grex XN, .2mm nozzle.
Each one has maximum and minimum limits of it's spray pattern. The CR is for large areas and base coats, the HG is for general camo and smaller areas, and the XN is for tight camo, lines, and small details.
Your Iwata Custom Micron B is a top of the line fine detail airbrush. It has a .18mm nozzle. It will spray the finest of hairlines, but even if you open it up full, it won't cover more than 3/4 of an inch wide. That's where the airbrushes with bigger nozzles come in.
By the way, My CR has a pre-set adjustment handle added, and all of my airbrushes have Micro Control Valves on them. This gives me superfine control of the paint and air flow right at the airbrush. Even if you are a skilled airbrush artist, this makes life MUCH easier.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi Matt,
Thanks for the tips. Looks like I'll be investing in more stuff then! Will I need more than 1 compressor?
Tell me a little bit more about pre-adjustment handles & micro control valves.
Anything to make life much easier I'm interested in.
If you like, you can PM me with the info & point me towards the right airbrushes & other airbrush tools I will need.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Joe.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 09:03 AM UTC
Joe,

Have a look at the Airbrush Company, based on the south coast (www.airbrushes.com) as they sell the micro valves for Iwata. These screw onto the airbrush where the hose attaches, and have a screw that cuts off air flow so you can reduce effective air pressure without fiddling with the compressor. I visited their shop/warehouse last year...

Tom
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the pointer. I'll get on to that right now.
Nice to hear from you again, by the way.
I'll be in touch in a couple of weeks regarding the Barking meeting.
Joe.
CaptGrim
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 09:28 AM UTC
I have an Iwata HP CS and I use acrylic paints. Everytime I am done using it I run windshield washer fluid through it and just some water to clean out the cup. After reading this I will be using distilled water from now on.

I also do a complete breakdown of the air brush after every use. Once you get the hang of it, it is worth spending 5 minutes to clean it out.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 09:38 AM UTC
Joe,

If you haven't already sorted out all your airbrushing needs by then, you'll find the collective brain of the club has a wealth of knowledge, experience, and fisherman's tales to offer! (Free advice comes with a full money-back guarantee...)

See ya soon,

Tom