_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Odds and Ends - Build finishes.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 10:59 AM UTC
This is not a real blog, but I wanted to document the end work of what I am doing with these kits. They do not have a previous thread, so they are stuck in here.

1st up, my old 2S1 that I was really unhappy with the finish. Looking over photos, there are some 2S1's that look like they were repainted but with the hull numbers covered over...so I did just the same. Covered with Tamiya Tape and then reprimed black with Polly S black green as the base coat...then Testors Dark Green as the intermediate color with slight amounts of tan added to help lighten up the panel centers. Prepped and ready for drybrushing - then a future gloss coat - then washes.

My Eastern Express BMP-2. Started back when this was the ONLY BMD-2 kit out there. Model Point main gun barrel, SP Designs replacement AT-4/5 launcher (EE kit pieces are the gray ones under the painted SP Designs parts), reworked rear venting (no picture yet), and kleenex mantlet cover.

Painted the same as the 2S1 except there was no underlying paint job to begin with, so no taped over markings.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
Jacques, they are shaping up nicely.
floggerspam
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 08:37 PM UTC
Very nice 2S1. Is that out of the box or have you done extras?
The detail on the AT-5 looks improved on the BMD-2.
Please keep posting your progress.

John
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 01:58 AM UTC
The 2S1 has the following improvements:

1. Eduard PE

2. SP Designs 2S1 turret, a very old one, not the current one available.

3. Model Point barrel

4. SP Designs upper hull, a old UR-77 hull I converted for the 2S1. This hull is not currently available from SP Designs, but will be again this year.

5. Tracks are long OOP SP Designs. I would use Master Club tracks if I built this today.

6. There is some scratchbuilding of small parts. I honestly do not remember where. Nothing major, just meant to improve detail.

As for the AT-4/5 launcher, yes, it is miles ahead of the EE kit part.
 _GOTOTOP