Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Sherman Campaign
Cruiser114
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
Enlisted.

I will start with a 1/48 Early Sherman from Tamiya and if I can get teh supplies together I am going to build the Formatiosn Jumbo with a M4A3 76mm(W) as a donor. If I get through the jumbo smoothly enough I will take my very first sherman model and overhaul it with the leftovers from the M4A3 76mm.

thanks and very excited to watch this!!
MC
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Enlisted.

I will start with a 1/48 Early Sherman from Tamiya and if I can get teh supplies together I am going to build the Formatiosn Jumbo with a M4A3 76mm(W) as a donor. If I get through the jumbo smoothly enough I will take my very first sherman model and overhaul it with the leftovers from the M4A3 76mm.

thanks and very excited to watch this!!
MC

Welcome Matt !

That Formations Jumbo sounds awesome !!

Paul
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hi Chris ... The first picture is of a quick sighting system.. As for those wheels ,you can get them from Formations ..

http://www.formationsmodels.com/549862.html

Rick
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a couple of questions for the experts...

What is this thing on the upper right on the turret:

Thanks, Chris

G'day Chris,

That looks like the late model vane sight. Fitted to late model Shermies.

The front part of it is broken off. It should have an additional vertical piece about half the height of the rear vertical bar. This device was added adjacent to the gunners periscope in later model Shermans.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Paul
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 452 posts
Armorama: 271 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 03:29 PM UTC
Thanks to a day off work this past Monday, I was able to get a good bit accomplished on my tiny Sherman. I'm currently working on the turret, but here is a shot of the hull. I'm not sure how I'm going to paint this guy just yet, so I'm waiting to attached the suspension and tracks.

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 03:48 PM UTC
I'm starting a build log on the Dragon M4DV. I'll be doing a tank from the 752nd independent battalion. They used a variety of 3 and 4 color camouflage schemes. The only significant issue I have read of with the kit is the cast bow MG base and antenna pot. Pressed Steel tanks had rolled steel welded in place. If anyone knows more than this, let me know.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 04:23 PM UTC

Ok, here is a test picture-more to come as the build advances-still tweeking the whole picture thing.

Sean
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 04:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

" BORDER="0">

Ok, here is a test picture-more to come as the build advances-still tweeking the whole picture thing.

Sean

Edit - the picture is there now ! Well done

That looks good ! A nie clean build so far...

Next the boggies and tracks ?

Cheers

Paul
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

well here are some of what I hope to get built during the campaign.

Sherman ARV Mk I. I'll use the Tasca Firefly as the donor kit plus the Resicast conversion set . I have the interior set too, but it may or may not fit and need some adjustment.

Also to go with this I've been thinking of a Mk V Gun Tank. Again a Tasca kit and a Resicast conversion:

The third offering I'm hoping to get done is one 've had waiting for several years, the Old Italeri kit M32 converted to the British M32 BI with small hatched hull, that I have form a Dragon kit, with indies and duckbills.

Plenty to keep me busy here and hopefully I will get a couple built within the time frame.

Cheers

Al

Hi Guys,

Not yet underway again but I have this to add to the Tasca M4A4:

I got a set of the Czech Masters interior for the M32 but might try and scratch the bits I need rather than use a partial bit of the kit. Glad this one is running for a year

Some cracking kits to look forward too and those who have started are looking good so far.

Be a fun campaign.

Al
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 01:30 AM UTC
@Rick and Paul,

Aha! Thanks, guys.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
Some progress:

These are the AFV Club HVSS boggie trucks and a combination of the original Dragon M51 lower hull and newer M4A1(76) Operation Cobra upper hull. See, I actually AM doing an IDF M4A1E8(76)!

By the way, a quiz: What has a LOT of wheels, each with a tire? Answer: An M4 Sherman!
Next question: What has even MORE wheels (each with their own tire) than an M4 Sherman? Answer: An M4 Sherman with HVSS!! Man, that's a lot of tire painting!

Michael
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 01:03 PM UTC
Hello Everyone!

The other day I posed the question on how best to assemble a brass muzzle break. On the advice of Paul I checked out Gator’s Grip hobby glue and while doing so I came across this review of the product and thought I should share it everyone.

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/review/2660

I placed my oreder today and will pass on my impressions of this product after I give it a test drive.

@ Michael A. , Russ, Sean and Michael S
You all have gotten off to great starts and I’m really looking forward to following the progress of each project. Keep up the good work.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 10:30 PM UTC
@ Alan - Interiors !! Ouch !! looking forward to your build on this one

@ Michael - more good progress, well done ! Yes Shermies have lots of tires ! I like to get them all out of the way very soon

@ Eric - nice review you found there. Looking forward to your feedback on Gator glue, like I said it seems to work for most of my applications so far

Cheers & Happy Shermie Building guys !

Paul
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi all! some really nice progress in here, I see the first one is already done, congrats Sal!

My project is somewhat masochistic as there are now two very good kits of the M4A1 DV but I will use what I have in the stash:

Formations M4A1 DV conversion and early M4/M4A1 lower hull.

Formations M3 style suspension, early .50 cal. MG and some Dragon tracks and PE.

Started on the lower hull and suspension. Fit of the upper hull to the tranny cover is a bit of a problem, some filling needed there. The slight warping of both hull parts doesn't help particularly...

Cheers!
Stefan
MrDrummy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hey-- can a newbie join up? Would love to get my Tamiya Sherman in on the fun!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 02:16 PM UTC
What are you waiting for????? Sign up and get building!!
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just be careful, campaigns are addictive!
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course you can Justin, go to the Campaigns Tab, select the Sherman Campaign on the right and then click enlist on the top RHS of that page

Welcome aboard mate !!
MrDrummy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 07:10 PM UTC
Ok- took me a minute to figure it out, but I'm in!! Work will keep me a little tied up for a bit, but I'll get to posting as soon as I get back home.

I'll be building Tamiya's 1:35 M4A3 Sherman in the 35250 boxing, the one with the group of soldiers included. I'm pretty excited about getting started.

Glad to be here!
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok- took me a minute to figure it out, but I'm in!! Work will keep me a little tied up for a bit, but I'll get to posting as soon as I get back home.

I'll be building Tamiya's 1:35 M4A3 Sherman in the 35250 boxing, the one with the group of soldiers included. I'm pretty excited about getting started.

Glad to be here!

That'll be a good kit to build Justin !

I'm using the same kit as the base for the Formations "Oddball Sherman" Conversion in my build for the "On the screen TV and Movie campaign".

That build will also include the crew from Jaguar

Hope to see you posting regularly

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 10:45 PM UTC
98 Starters and 16,000 hits to this thread - the Campaign is only 2 weeks old

I think we'll get to 100 starters after all

Cheers

Paul
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 250 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hi All
Some really nice work on display so far guys!

This is where I am with my own particular build:

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi David ...That 105 sure lloks good so far... I'll be back to building soon ...
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 10:24 AM UTC
Here's my first in progress post on my efforts to backdate Italeri's M7 Priest. After a bit of research I found that the configuration I had in mind would make my M7 one produced in late 1942 or very early 1943, which would be pretty much exactly what I need for a vehicle seen on Sicily. So, here we go.
I used the Formations M3 Lee suspension correction set to backdate the kit's suspension.

Next I had to modify the lower hull from the kit's welded M4 configuration to that of a bolted M3. I removed the hull escape hatch, the additional forward armor plate, the bottom hull mounting plates for the later suspension, and the drain holes.

I added new suspension mounting plates from the Formations set, the forward torsion bar mount (the triangular shaped thing running from side to side on the hull. At least I think it's for the torsion bars ) as well as the mounting plates for all three of these, and lots and lots of rivets. Thankfully I picked up a sheet of Archer surface details to recreate these and save my sanity.

I also added the bolt strip below the fenders, modified the suspension mounting plates on the hull sides to accomodate the new bogies, and put on a new final drive cover. I used the three piece bolted cover from the Tamiya M4 kit with the bolted flanges from Dragon. The drive sprocket mounts are from the Italeri kit and had discs of plastic added to simulate a detail sometimes seen on earlier M3s and M4s. I also cut off the kit's front fenders and replaced them with ones from the Tamiya M4 kit.
Finally, I started modifications to the upper hull by changing the details on the superstructure sides.

Earlier M7s like the one I'm modelling didn't have the numerous tie downs seen on later versions, nor did they carry loops for mounting a canvas cover, so all of that detail had to be removed from the sides. In addition to the tie downs, the front plate had the headlight mounts and molded on guides for attaching the grouser boxes removed. Lastly, since I wanted to model the earlier shallow pulpit, I cut off the molded on lower section of the kit's deeper pulpit and filled the space with a rectangle of sheet plastic.
So, after lots of plastic strip, putty, rivets, and elbow grease, I'm ready to move on to fixing up the upper hull and interior of my M7. I'll post some more pics when I get more done.
MrDrummy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 12:58 PM UTC
Thanks, Paul. I'm unexpectedly spending a couple of nights in the hospital with my 6-month old daughter (not sure what's wrong yet! ) and so I have had a few hours to put get started on my Sherman! Since this is only my second armor build, it takes me a bit to get going, and to get my bearings. I should be able to have a few in-progress shots this evening sometime, and maybe get a few answers to a few questions I have.

Ed- that sure is a lot of nice work! I feel like I'm cheating!!