AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
REVIEW
DOA Hobbies Pigments
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hey Darren,

I'll do better than that. PM me your address.

BMoore
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 01:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matthew could you supply a larger picture of the DOA and Mig old rust please.
Adam I have used a number of Mig's products and I feel they are very good products. However economics means if someone can provide a comparable product that gives me more product for less £ then it will be used.

Okay Darren, I've got your photos but first lets clear up a few things in Adam's statements -
"We are also the original manufacturer of pigments so I guess we have done something right if other companies are now trying to cut into our market."
No Adam, you are not. MiG Productions was founded in 2002 and Bragdon Enterprises has been selling modeling pigments since 1982. You really should try to get the facts before you make claims.
I wrote a fair review of DOA pigments, using two other manufacturer's pigments as a benchmark standard to make unbiased comparison. I then stated an impartial price/volume listing. It is up to the consumer what to buy.
Since Adam feels it necessary to denounce other makers' pigments, I feel a duty to my readers to point out a few more results:
Under 20x magnification there is absolutely NO difference in grain structure or size between MiG, Bragdon, or DOA pigments.
As I stated in my review, all three performed about the same. All three are equal quality products in every way. All three do everything you could want a pigment to do, and do it very well. This also allows me to state that MiG pigments are NO better than Bragdon or DOA pigments. I have no axe to grind, it's just a very simple fact.
I'm an experienced modeler. I've been building for 41 years. I've been on the scene for a long time. I'm an Advanced level Gold medal modeler. More than once, a model of mine has been in the running for Best of Show at the AMPS Internationals. I like to think I know what I'm talking about.
Bragdon makes 12 colors. DOA makes 9 colors but has only been in business for 6 months. More colors are on the way including other shades of rust. MiG makes 24. So? Just because a fledgling pigment maker has only one rust color so far doesn't make it all crap. Get real.
You can gather the finest Pomeranian pigments and have them hand ground on rich Corinthian leather by 16 vestal virgins during a Wiccan ceremony under a full moon, and then charge a fortune for them. That's your prerogative.
When it comes out of the jar, it's all about performance, price, and VALUE. Who else uses them doesn't make them work any better or worth any more.
I have nothing for or against any of the three companies.
It's the height of irony that Adam said,"...but you get what you are paying for.". If you insist on comparing them head to head, then with Bragdon and DOA this is true - and only with MiG is it not!
I didn't write a comparison review, or a "Pigment Shoot Out" article, but since the question has been raised, I will answer it. In the end, there is but one inconvenient truth: DOA and Bragdon pigments are just as good as MiG at 1/3 the price.
Here now the requested close ups -

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:46 PM UTC
Thank you Matt. It looks as if DOA win on quantity, has a draw on the physical quality, and needs some work in the colour mixing area of its pigments.
jim81147
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 03:30 PM UTC
Well now that we are talking about 16 vestial virgins I will have to add my .02 . I cant say alot about comparison as I have not used all the above mentioned products , but I do have to say Brian's service is very good , when you ask a ? he responds in a very timely manner , and I like the way he is coming to the modellers asking what they want and think.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 04:35 PM UTC
I'm new, or at least newly coming back to the hobby. With the way Brian has acted and responded to member input in a number of these recent threads/reviews of his projects, he will earn my money when it comes time to buy additional paint and pigments.
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 12:07 AM UTC
Looks like I might need to round up 16 more vestal virgins...the last batch.....aren't virgins...anymore.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC
Yeah seriously.

I'd like to add my .02 cents as well.

Although I am not as experienced as some people, i.e. Matt has been modeling longer than i've been alive but thats another story. I would like to think of my self as some what talented as I am constantly building models from scratch for things in my engineering classes and classes for my minor in industrial design. Consequently, my classes have brought my modeling products down to school with me. I was a faithful follower of MiG products, because I find that they are manufactured very well and project passion for the hobby through numerous products. However, for you, Adam, to come down on another man trying to establish himself in the same market, you should seriously check your tone and ego at the door [well in this case, the home page]. Although i was considering trying DOA products when I get home from school, Adam, your response has completely turned me off of MiG products. Frankly, if you are the face of this company you should seriously consider changing the name as MiG Productions seems to no longer embody the spirit and passion Mig Jimenez has in the past. It's actually appalling in a sense, because everyone should be supportive of one another's work be it business or their work as a modeler.

To be quite frank, if you feel threatened, you and your company should step your game up as DOA seems to be nipping at your ankles.

Competition, it's amazing to see what happens when someone steps up to the plate and starts batting at .980.

But back on topic:
I can't wait to try these
LordLost
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
I have to say... I like what I see with DOA's pigments.... I use pigments for so much now... and I'm running out way to soon in some cases... This could be a new addition to my bench for sure...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
Matt - nice review, thank you.

Brian - do you sell the Pigments direct, or/do you have a North American distributor?

I'm curious about them, and you certain appear to give plenty for the dollar. I love my Bragdon Enterprises products - they really go a long way. Same for my MiG Productions and the older (long gone) "Figments" from 5-Star Tools. I haven't used any of them up in all the years I've had them - probably would last me a lifetime...
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 12:49 PM UTC
Hey Jim!

I sale them direct here in the US. I am based in Florida.
I will soon have a European distributor to provide our European clients faster and better service over the "pond" so to speak.

The United States store is here...

DOA Web Store

The European Supplier is here

Euro Store

Might be a week or so before the Andrew is "open for business"!
discordian
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 12:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah seriously.

Although I am not as experienced as some people, i.e. Matt has been modeling longer than i've been alive but thats another story. I would like to think of my self as some what talented as I am constantly building models from scratch for things in my engineering classes and classes for my minor in industrial design. Consequently, my classes have brought my modeling products down to school with me.)

off topic -
cool.
while getting my degree in Industrial Engineering in the late 80's I worked on models at home on every break.
Never brought the stuff back to school with me though, not enough room in the car.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah seriously.

Although I am not as experienced as some people, i.e. Matt has been modeling longer than i've been alive but thats another story. I would like to think of my self as some what talented as I am constantly building models from scratch for things in my engineering classes and classes for my minor in industrial design. Consequently, my classes have brought my modeling products down to school with me.)

off topic -
cool.
while getting my degree in Industrial Engineering in the late 80's I worked on models at home on every break.
Never brought the stuff back to school with me though, not enough room in the car.

Most of the things are at home. Only things I have are the basics for scratch building.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 01:55 AM UTC
Back on topic, and a question for Brian,

Any idea on a time frame for developing a new lighter rust color?
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hey Jesse,

I am hoping to have them ready and available Tuesday.

Spent most of the time this weekend working on a Luftwaffe set for the "Airdales" and woking on setting up an European (UK) dealer.

I should have a light rust, med rust and dark rust along with a lighter sand shade as well available Tuesday.

Thanks!

BMoore
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 03:06 AM UTC
These look like they might have some promise to them.

There are a lot of 'Newer' pigments out now.

With Vallejo, War pigs, DOA, Mig, Brandon ,doc's weathering powders.

So I guess you took a gamble on trying .

Good show and will see when I can try some.

Are you thinking of doing any of the dirt colors?

Thanks
trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi guys the UK store is up

but stock is still in transit from the U.S

Please feel free to drop by and have a quick look,any feed back on it would be great.

trackpads DOA Paint shop
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Jesse,

I am hoping to have them ready and available Tuesday.

Spent most of the time this weekend working on a Luftwaffe set for the "Airdales" and woking on setting up an European (UK) dealer.

I should have a light rust, med rust and dark rust along with a lighter sand shade as well available Tuesday.

Thanks!

BMoore

Wow, thanks Brian! Don't make too many options... I don't have that much $ to blow.

I'll probably be making my order next weekend.... after payday and all.
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hey Jeff,
We have a couple of earth tones out. The Dirt Brown is a deep dark brown pigment and the Earth tone is a lighter earth brown color.

More will be added soon!
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 01:51 PM UTC
Ok boys and girls..you asked for it.

A light rust is now available.

And for those of you who would like to try the stuff and not have to pay shipping for just one bottle I have a three pigment, introductory set out. Bright Iron Rust, Dark Iron Rust and Earth.

Introductory Three Pigment Set
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 05:49 PM UTC
Last week I received from Brian a sample of Rust and sand/dust pigments and DAK Gelbbraun paint, the 3 items arrived in good order with no damage to the containers.

The Rust pigment I still believe is not quite right in terms of colour, that said it does still have its uses and by no means should this product be dismissed. Particle size varied greatly however with the exception of one very large lump (about 5mm across) that was white inside, a few minutes with a mortar and pestle improved the look of the product greatly.

The sand/dust pigment again had a wide variety in particle size and in some respects I consider this a plus rather than a negative depending on how you intend to use it, or for what purpose. My reason for believing this is that in nature there is a wide variety in size of any given substrate. I do not see these pigment products currently replacing the likes of MIG, I do however see them as complimentary product where sometimes they will be better suited in order to get a required result, and in the future I am sure they will continue to improve.

The DAK Gelbbraun paint performed very well in all aspects. I looked at application by hand and air brush and then assessed coverage, richness of colour, and general look. I was left with a positive feeling about this paint on all the parameters I was concerned with.

Some of you may consider my comments on the pigments here as being harsh, however my goal was to assess the product from my viewpoint and concerns. Before you let this put you off of purchasing the pigments from DOA please consider that I will purchase some of these products as and when I need them.
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hey Darren,

Darn right you will pay for them now! No more free samples! That will teach you to throw me “under the bus”!

I’m just kidding. Thanks for the review.

All joking aside, I do have a question.

You stated that the bright rust was not quite right. Can you tell me in what terms? What needs to be done to make it right? Colors are easily changed in both the paints and pigments.

Let me know what I can do to improve the stuff and I certainly will give it my best shot….(which is pretty darn good !)

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 06:38 AM UTC
That is a hard question to answer. To me it appears to be a red brown instead of a rustic brown, and when applied over a red brown base coat (that is XF64 in Tamiya (a colour habit I have thanks to Tamiya)) it does not give the expected contrast. This results in a lack of colour contrast and just seems to fail in achieving the desired effect of flecked rust. As I said it may just be me and others may feel it is perfect.

On an aside you should be congratulated on your paints as they are excellent.
trackpads
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC
The UK shop is open at last as the stock as finally arrived
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 05:28 AM UTC
Brian the one you sent me was just labelled as Rust, not dark or light. I believed it to be the same product as shown in this review. Andrew I have placed an order so I hope this shows I do believe this product has merit.
trackpads
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian the one you sent me was just labelled as Rust, not dark or light. I believed it to be the same product as shown in this review. Andrew I have placed an order so I hope this shows I do believe this product has merit.

Hi Darren sent you a PM mate.