_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
REVIEW
DOA Hobbies Pigments
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hey guys trying not to be too confusing here..but the stuff in the review was what we now call Dark Iron Rust.

I have since developed a Bright Iron Rust which is a lighter shade. Andrew, our overseas supplier will have these in stock next week along with a light sand/dust.

We are constantly listening to feedback and coming up with more products.

I hope this clarifies any confusion..and as always..

Please email me at [email protected] or pm me with any questions or suggestions!

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 01:59 AM UTC
Last night, I was finally able to test out some of Brian's pigments that I had purchased a few weeks ago.

Given, up till now, I've only used pastels, but the pigments were easy to use, and the effect was very nice. I'm quite satisfied.

Thanks Brian!
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 12:13 PM UTC
I have some of DOA pigments over here and i like using them. although i don't have any educated remarks on the rust color, i have the first set (concrete, mud, rust, sand) and i can say that the pigments mix well with paint. They are also brushed straight on the model with good result. Only fault i have found is that thinner dissolves them too much, so i couldn't do a wash with grainy pigments in it (but maybe thats how pigments work? I don't know). BTW, the sand to my taste is 'spot on' for beach sand (at least, the type we have here)

it's good to have a new player on the field, espacially one that sticks around for reviews and makes alterations based on modelers' needs and wants. add to that a great service ( Brian refunded me on an order that didn't show up very kindly and no questions asked except trying to help) and you have a good over all product.
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 01:07 AM UTC
Ha!

I refunded Matan the amount of an order an it showed up the next day! Over a month after I had I sent it! Thanks postal service.

Oh well. I now offer insurance on orders as well.

Now that Easter is over and I got to go diving/spearfishing..got a "fix" on that a bit.....
It is back to the grindstone. I have a WW2 Soviet Armor set out and my next project is to revamp the pigment selection incorporating a new "Light Sand" pigment. And then a number of requests for a "Modern Soviet Set" have come up.

I would also like to eventually see a WW2 British 8th Army set soon too..so I will start working in that direction as well.

Let me know if there is anything you are looking for paint or pigment wise and I will put it on the list.

Thanks guys!
trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC
for you UK / European guys that use doa paints and pigments we have dropped the v.a.t on all sales and lowered the cost on pigments,drop by and pick your bits up whilst there hot guys and girls.
raivo74
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
KitMaker: 132 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me know if there is anything you are looking for paint or pigment wise and I will put it on the list.

Hi, Brian

On the paint side, a decent set of German tank interior colors would be cool: Elfenbein (RAL 1001, lemon yellow and beige shades), grey-green colour (RAL 7009) and maybe red primer RAL 8012, which you already have in the list, I suppose.

Cheers,
Raimondas
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 02:29 PM UTC
Hey Raimondas,

Yes that does sound like an interesting set. I will start researching it first thing tomorrow.

We do already have the red primer per a previous request..but it would be a cool addition to a German interior set.

Thanks for the input!

rdwing64
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:38 PM UTC
Where can I get some free stuff? Just kidding. Tried light and dark and got just the color I needed. JOHN
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 12:11 AM UTC
Free stuff! I am practically giving the stuff away now!!!!!

Ok I have developed a new pigment that I have been promising...a "Light Desert Sand/Dust".
I have also re-vamped the website in the pigment section so that with the five and seven pigment sets you can pick one of the eight colors we have available.

DOA Hobbies

Thanks guys for the continued input and support.
raivo74
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
KitMaker: 132 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 07:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Raimondas,

Yes that does sound like an interesting set. I will start researching it first thing tomorrow.

We do already have the red primer per a previous request..but it would be a cool addition to a German interior set.

Thanks for the input!

Seems you won't be first in this race

Lifecolor interior paint set
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 05:02 PM UTC
I guess I'm a bit late on this topic/review. Matt I liked the review of the pigments and the fair comparison. As you all know, I am very much into rusting models and am always trying new products and mainly techniques. As for the rust colors go, well it will depend on the type of rust effects you are trying to obtain. I have been using artist pigments for years and am experimenting with MIG pigments. The colors used in the review are perfectly fine, especially for old oxidized steel and iron. In fact all you really need are three to four shades of rust pigments, the rest is all in the mixing and application.

Matt in the review used used Isoprop mixed with pigments. How did this flow when used as a wash or pin wash? Also, have you tested the pigments with mineral spirits, and mixed with oil paints? How do the pigments hold up to being used with the HS and salt techniques?
Sorry for all the questions, but I have yet to try the DOA pigments. I will be putting these pigments on my list of test subjects on a future build. Yeah baby more rusting experiments

Great review Matt, looking forward to seeing and reading more from you.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC
I've gone back and reread all the posts and think Darren is correct as far as a lighter rust color. The Iron colors look good but are best suited for Iron, such as a cast turret. A light rust color is needed for metal/steel parts of a tank. This can also be used for fresh rust on any surface. Below is a pic of two of the four pigments I always use for rust.

The Iron rust colors have the reddish purple tint to it, and this is perfect for old corroded iron. Once you have the bright yellow/orange this can be mixed to obtain a wide range of rust tones. I like were DOA is going with there product range and look forward to putting the paints and pigments through some real testing.
Are there plans for oil paints in the future !?!

Aaahh the smell of rust..

Rob
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
Rob I think you will be happy with the quality of the product, and as it is always being refined can only improve as regards colour.
 _GOTOTOP