_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Critique needed
Mech_Inf
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi

I've been involved in this wonderful hobby for some time now, but still consider myself a beginner - especially when compared to some of the talent out there.

Please critique some of my work.

Thanks for a great site and a great forum.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 12:44 AM UTC
Hi Hendrik. You are a few steps above beginner in my books. Some really nice work you have there.

Dio one) Great composition, some gradient used on the ground level.
Could be better.... tracks are floating and maybe a bit more variety with the actaul ground work.

Dio two) Composition is good ... but can´t see the full base. Different ground levels.
Could be better ... appears to only one shade of sand colour used, for groundwork, jeep, figures and jerry cans. The sand is over scale and over the whole base ...loses effect when used on the rock face.

Dio three) Again great composition. Great camo on the paras.
Could be better ... some rubble/dust on the clean floor boards - this ones a bit picky, but maybe worth mentioning.

You have used lovely bases on all 3 ... they look very professional. Way better than anything I did starting out.

PITERPANZER
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hi!
For sure You`re not beginner.All looks very good ,but there is a historical inaccuracy .
The tank by Maquette is `46 model , and You back it to `44.
Forgetting aboutthat it`s very impressive diorama.
Mech_Inf
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 12:53 AM UTC
Thanks, guys.

Frank, there are some more pictures of the SAS Jeep one in my galary -might give you a better idea of layout. This was really one of the first ones.
stumbles
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 03:12 AM UTC
you do yourself a disservice hendrik the figure painting looks superb, particularly like the ostfront dio!!
kemo
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
David: Great work on the "David vs Goliath". A little constructive criticism... more debris and loose ground. Also tracks seem to be hovering above the ground. I'm being very picky though. Could you post a few photos of your T-34 only? Looks nice.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 01:36 PM UTC
Nice assembly and paint work on the T-34 diorama. As mentioned, the T-34 really needs to have all of its wheels on the ground. If you know you're going to position it on uneven terrain, it's pretty easy to arrange the suspension arms during construction, but afterward, your only real option is to remodel the terrain on the base. You might also take that opportunity to add some more grass or other vegetation, as the ground work seems awfully bare.
The tank itself doesn't seem to have any damage, so I wonder how it happens to be abandoned? The troops are clearly not attacking it (and that would have been difficult, since each Soviet tank had a squad of tank riding infantry assigned to protect it).
That particular T-34-85 variant with the dual fore and aft turret ventilators was a pretty late one (it's the RPM/Maquette kit, apparently). Though purportedly built from late 1944, they don't turn up in photos until the summer of 1945, though presumably some were issued while the shooting was still going on in the west. You might adjust your caption to read "Spring, 1945."
Tamiya's SAS Jeep is a very early effort from the 1970's, and can be improved pretty easily. Biggest visual problem is the five gallon fuel cans, which have only two handles instead of three. Tamiya, Italeri and Tasca all sell sets of better cans with proper handles and separate caps, offering both US and German styles, and these can go a long way toward dressing up that particular kit.
Mech_Inf
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 06:58 PM UTC
Thanks again, guys - valid observations.

Yeah, the floating tracks irritate me too, but I am yet to find a way to get them closer to the ground, short of redoing the groundwork. I will, however add some more groundcover.

As mentioned, the SAS jeep was one of the earliest efforts and was built OOB. It was also the first model I airbrushed and tried paint chipping on.

Here is another picture of the David Vs Goliath dio.

The Germans are actually attacking the tank. If you read about some infantry vs tank encounters in Infantry Aces: German Infantry Soldier In WWII published by Stackpole you find more than one description of German infantry doing exactly that which is depicted in the dio, as sometimes - in desperation or due to manpower constraints - tanks were used in isolation. I know this is not doctrine, but I have witnessed this first hand against an enemy schooled in Soviet doctrine. The end result was the same - dead tank

I enjoy researching a project to ensure historic accuracy - as far as possible and taking into consideration a restricted budget and restricted kit sources in SA - but don't consider myself a 'rivet counter' as I think being too anal about this retracts from the pure joy of the hobby.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks again, guys - valid observations.

Yeah, the floating tracks irritate me too, but I am yet to find a way to get them closer to the ground, short of redoing the groundwork. I will, however add some more groundcover.

As mentioned, the SAS jeep was one of the earliest efforts and was built OOB. It was also the first model I airbrushed and tried paint chipping on.

Here is another picture of the David Vs Goliath dio.

The Germans are actually attacking the tank. If you read about some infantry vs tank encounters in Infantry Aces: German Infantry Soldier In WWII published by Stackpole you find more than one description of German infantry doing exactly that which is depicted in the dio, as sometimes - in desperation or due to manpower constraints - tanks were used in isolation. I know this is not doctrine, but I have witnessed this first hand against an enemy schooled in Soviet doctrine. The end result was the same - dead tank

I enjoy researching a project to ensure historic accuracy - as far as possible and taking into consideration a restricted budget and restricted kit sources in SA - but don't consider myself a 'rivet counter' as I think being too anal about this retracts from the pure joy of the hobby.

Okay, fair enough. Rivet counting aside, the composition of the diorama seems to suggest that several of the the infantry are running alongside a moving tank while carrying land mines. Presumably, that means they plan to toss the mines under the tracks. How exactly are they supposed to get away from the blast, as these are twenty pound, pressure-fuzed antitank mines? And since one guy appears to be applying a hollow charge magnetic mine with a time fuze, the presence of the guys with the Teller mines seems a bit redundant.
If the premise is that they are assaulting a tank that has stopped, and they plan to thrust the mines into the running gear in case the hollow charge doesn't do the job, consider rearranging the figures and vehicle. If the turret is facing slightly away, and they are approaching directly from the side, or at acute angle, a viewer is more likely to "get" that the infantry are stalking a halted vehicle. If there is some obstacle in front of the tank, like a section of wall, that reinforces the idea that it is stopped, and using the rubble for cover. A dead Russian or two might suggest that the supporting infantry have all been picked off. Just a few ideas. Up to you if you want to rework this project, or just keep it in mind for the next one.
I actually make my living in theatre and film, and I have learned one thing over the years. You can't blame the audience if they don't get something, and you can't be there personally to explain to every audience what they were supposed to perceive.
Mech_Inf
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 05:32 PM UTC
Gerald, thanks for the comprehensive critique of the composition. I do find that the hardest part of creating aconvincing diorama. Your recommendations make sense.

Unfortunately that one's going to remain as is - mistakes and all. I believe in moving on; applying the lessons learnt to new projects. I also like to occasionally look back and see how I've grown in this fantastic hobby. My aim is to make every new dio closer to perfect.

I'm currently working on a Dio of the German invasion of France. Will post pics soon.
trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 07:05 PM UTC
Hi Hendrik Nice work, some great details and eye catching idea's in them all each telling a small story nice work.
I understand what as been mentioned in other posts but i thought the troops with the pressure-fuzed antitank mines were about to lay them on the top of the track above the road wheels rather then place them in front of the t34.So if the vehicle retreated or advanced the mine would be explode using this methed in case the magnet mine failed or did not do the job.
Love the paint work and weathering very good on them all nice work though out.

http://trackpads.co.uk
Mech_Inf
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 06:09 PM UTC
Andrew

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, that was also my understanding of the use of the AT mines.

paul51
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 10:50 AM UTC
I think you have created some first rate dio,s, i particularly like the figures,keep sharing.
Mech_Inf
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 08:40 PM UTC
Thanks, Paul
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
Armorama: 392 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 11:41 PM UTC
I really like the first one ! reminds me of the scene in Cross of Iron when they attack the t-34 by places mines on the tracks when it stalls.
At first glance I sort of thought the figures looked as if they were placed in unusual positions, but then you have to remember this is a small slice of action. When I studied the composition I could see the infantry attacking unseen vehicles etc...
In any case I really like it Some touches I like are the trench where the tank killers have come from really adds to the scene. I have had trouble with floating tanks also ! so if you can push some sand or filler or something under the gaps and blend it in with pigments.
are you doing more dioramas?
also i liked the other dios - but this one really is the best in my opinion

regards
Mark
Mech_Inf
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 09:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like the first one ! reminds me of the scene in Cross of Iron when they attack the t-34 by places mines on the tracks when it stalls.
At first glance I sort of thought the figures looked as if they were placed in unusual positions, but then you have to remember this is a small slice of action. When I studied the composition I could see the infantry attacking unseen vehicles etc...
In any case I really like it Some touches I like are the trench where the tank killers have come from really adds to the scene. I have had trouble with floating tanks also ! so if you can push some sand or filler or something under the gaps and blend it in with pigments.
are you doing more dioramas?
also i liked the other dios - but this one really is the best in my opinion

regards
Mark

Thanks, Mark. Glad to see that someone else also understands what I was trying to achieve. Yes there are many things that could be improved, but I'm happy with it - apart from the floating tracks - which will be sorted.

I thorougly enjoyed building it. To me that is the most important part. It's a hobby, after all and intended to be fun and relaxing.

Here's another view of that one:

Heatseeker64
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 305 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 10:02 PM UTC
[/b]
Quoted Text

Please critique some of my work.

To quote former US president Teddy Roosevelt:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

I love your work ... what I have built for the past 40 years I have enjoyed - and to me that is the most important thing. Just do what you do, and be true to yourself!
Mech_Inf
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 08:30 PM UTC
Thanks, Mick - appreciate
Straniero
Visit this Community
Cosenza, Italy
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 08:39 PM UTC
I like your figure painting skills Hendrik. You made real 'rooinek' out of those SAS men with their sunburnt legs . You may want to try and let go a bit the suggestions made by Dragon. They do sell very nice dioramas in the box but I would try to mix and match and create some variety.

But that's just me and overall i think you're doing absolutely well.
Mech_Inf
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 09:24 PM UTC
Thanks, Rob. The SAS guys' colour was not intentional, but now that you mention it, they do look like British holidaymakers in Spain, don't they?
 _GOTOTOP