Opinions needed on Revell's 1/35 Pzh 2000
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hello Guys!

Could anyone provide some info on Revell's 1/35 Pzh 2000? I am unable to find any useful reviews.

All I know (and experience) is that the track are horrible.

Thank you all,

Adam
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:10 PM UTC
I am one of the lucky ones who never had a problem with the tracks. Probably because I bought it while the plastic was still warm and got paint on them before they started to deteriorate...
It's a little soft on detail, and the sponsons were a tricky fit in the rear, but they managed to look very good with care. I built it before there was PE for it, so there were a plethora of handles I had the shave off and make from wire. Also the little stowage rack on the right front of the turret was a lot fun carving and filling so that I could add my own diamond mesh.
And if you want to display it in firing position the gun crutch will need to be modifed as well. I'll post a few photos next week.
By the way, I've devised a way to do the rubber plates on top very convincingly, but it's not easy.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:41 PM UTC
The consensus is that it could be better - a few years behind the state of the art. But actually, that still puts it on a par with Tamiya stuff from the late 1980s, so it's not that bad. In my stash I have both the PzH and Revell's Marder 1A3, which a lot of people like a lot, and I can't find much difference in standard between them. And the tracks can now be overcome, thanks to Bronco - see my review here: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/4747.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:53 PM UTC
Actually, I thought it was a great kit, and I had a lot of fun building it. Didn't have a problem with the tracks, or anything else. And it still gets lots of oohs and aahs when people come to my house and see it sitting on the shelf next to the Scorpions and Humvees, which it dwarfs. It's enormous.
I saw a photo of a desert sand one once, it might have been on Prime Portal, I can't remember, and I thought about buying another one, to paint in that color. But I never could learn which country it belonged to, or what markings it carried, so I forgot about it.
I hear the Germans offered to lease us some PzH 2000s, seeing as how our Paladins are getting a bit long in the tooth. But for some reason we turned them down.
BRAVO3
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 144 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 10:17 PM UTC
Adam,
the Revell PzH2000 is not bad, some poor details, some parts in wrong dimensions.
But it is the only kit, so we have no choice.

If you need detailed images follow the link to our german website panzer-modell.de
The text is german, but the pictures can help you...

PzH2000 in detail
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 10:38 PM UTC
Thank you all.

I have It for a while, so I have no other option:) I was a bit disappointed after opening the huge box. It was totally unreasonable (nor environmentally friendly), since it has much less parts that it is mentoned on the packaging (a smaller one could have been enough) And the barrell just felt out without any (!) packaging.

But I must say, I am really impressed by it's size, and this is the only kit on the market so far. And it was also a present

I have it still foiled, that's why I was asking you. The rubber track seems to have some sink marks, if I remember well (I don't have it with me right now).

Thomas, thank you for the photos. Is it true, that in Germany, the more parts a kit has, the higher tax should be payed on it?

Best regards,
Adam
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 10:49 PM UTC
Hello Adam,

"Is it true, that in Germany, the more parts a kit has, the higher tax should be payed on it?"

Though the question is not addressed to me, let me answer it.

The answer is: No.

VAT in Germany is 19 % with exeption from food and culture (books, tickets for theatres etc.) which have got a rate of 7%.
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 11:24 PM UTC
I've just heared that, but it seemed a really stupid idea:)

Cheers,
Adam
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way, I've devised a way to do the rubber plates on top very convincingly, but it's not easy.

Now that is very interesting Robert

Frenchy

aussiemodeler
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 12:33 AM UTC
gimmi gimmi gimmi! i want i want iwant!!! hahaha yes please don't hold out on us! i am bursting to know how you did the rubber dimppled mats.
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 12:40 AM UTC
Well, I have no idea of what are you talking about right now mates...

What rubber?

Adam
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What rubber?

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/152453

Frenchy
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw a photo of a desert sand one once, it might have been on Prime Portal, I can't remember, and I thought about buying another one, to paint in that color. But I never could learn which country it belonged to, or what markings it carried

It might have been German. I've seen pictures of a Gepard in three-town brown, sitting on Crete for some reason, and have heard of experiments with other dry-climate colour schemes in case Germany gets into the habit of overseas deployments. The markings would, I guess, be much the same.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 11:26 AM UTC
IIRC it was one of a couple Dutch ones sent to Afghanistan. There was a photo on the Canadian Combat Camera site at one time, might have to search around a bit.

Jim
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 08:24 AM UTC
Got it!

Is it normal on every Dutch one or is it for Afghanistan only?

Best regards,
Adam
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
OK< since I started that thread-I think I am duty bound to ask....would you be able to share your method for making the rubber mats? I haven't come up with anything and put my kit on the back burner

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What rubber?

Frenchy

JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 08:44 AM UTC
Thank you guys!

I will finish my Ariete soon, and after that, I will start with this beast:)

Best regards,
Adam
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

gimmi gimmi gimmi! i want i want iwant!!! hahaha yes please don't hold out on us! i am bursting to know how you did the rubber dimppled mats.

I'll give you a hint - they're actually made of rubber. The cost (if I sold them) is a bit prohibitive right now.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 04:28 AM UTC
I have build the PzH2000 last year and in my opinion it's a nice model and offers a good price:fun balance.

I had no problems with the tracks, they are fitting quite well and look decend enough. And with the trackguards not much is seen of them anyway

Some sinkmarks but all in positions where you could get at them easily and none where you would destroy detail

Some details are not up to the latest "slide mold" sets. Otoh the kit costs half of what I'd pay for a Dragon Hummel. Some parts can be detailed with a sharp knive and some time (like the rear door handles) others can be replaced/reworked with a resonable amount of effort

Some details are missing/wrong (no snowgrips, details on the gun laying sensors) or need rework for certain display positions (i.e the guns travell lock)

There is a full metal barrel included in the kit!

There is a PE set from Eduard that solves many of the remaining detailing problems.

For a total price of around 30-35€ (including PE) the model is well worth buying/building
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 08:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK< since I started that thread-I think I am duty bound to ask....would you be able to share your method for making the rubber mats? I haven't come up with anything and put my kit on the back burner

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What rubber?

Frenchy

A close friend of mine, a Panzergrenadier Officer with the German Army, told me that these "rubber mates" are also to be found on the new "Puma" IFV. With the PzHb 2000 it seams to be an add-on to the existing armour tiles, with the "Puma" they are suppose to disrupt radar/ other detection he was told at a presentation, all still "classified" though. If the same thing/use forthe PzHb 2000 he couldn‘t confirm.
My best bet is just a new sort of anti-skid/ "keep your boots" clean thing, due to the shape of the turret roof, other vehicles like the "Fennek" do not feature this kind item so far I am aware.
If not in combat, you will not find them on any PzHb 2000 anyway, so I woundn‘t bother.

Cheers
Christopher

Kerlchen
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 08:42 PM UTC
IMO this model is one of the worst armor models of Revell Germany, like the horrible Unimog.

The details are blurry, sink marks everywhere and the most notably problem (at least for me) are the hatches at the hull and the turret sides. Actually they should be plain but are raised at the model. I began to engrave the hatches and sand them down but lost my ambition to build this botch...

Cheers

Thomas
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 12:43 AM UTC
My take on it: its a terrible kit, the detail is soft and inaccurate. The biggest problem in my opinion is that they replaced the fine wheld seams on the front hull with ugly raised panel lines. Removing the whole thing is a real pain. And sink marks everywhere. And the tracks need replacement.
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 09:01 AM UTC
Wow, so much cons, so much pros Thanks for everybody!

Will see in few days...

Dear German mates! I am going to visit Hamburg this weekend. May you have anything to suggest me to visit? A museum, military park, a local hobbystore, anything...

Best regards,
Adam
Kerlchen
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Adam,

IMO an absolutely Must See is

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de

Haven´t been there but i´ve seen in on TV...

Cheers
Thomas
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 10:39 AM UTC
"IMO an absolutely Must See is (Miniatur-Wunderland)"

Exactly.

Everyone who has a passion for scale models will love it.

Additionally I recommend the Harbor of Hamburg, the Speicherstadt (largest area of connected warehouses in the world), Hagenbecks Tierpark (a large zoo) and the Reeperbahn - in particular on Saturday night.
 _GOTOTOP