_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Marder Befehlsjager diorama
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
Armorama: 392 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 12:19 AM UTC
Hi Chaps,
some nearly finished pictures of diorama of model and then diorama. i tried a number of techniques to create a reasonable finish to the model. But I dont know - I never am satisfied, I believe it is missing something. Help is needed in all honesty !

markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 12:26 AM UTC
second part is diorama. My figure painting is very poor - but I try to improve. I just keep the simplest scene - loading up the ammo. But someone is not pleased
Yes the white glue attaching vehicle to base requires correction and blending. I am just adding the final details over the weekend. What else is required? Any help would be appreciated. I am not sensitive guy so all critique to show where improvements required are wanted

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 01:19 AM UTC
Nice Marder. I like the model.

So they're loading up their Marder with ammo, but there's no boxes of ammo anywhere.

Why are the engine and transmission hatches open? I realize that you've detailed them and are showing them off, but there's not a "reason" for them being open in the scene.

Also, most any tracked vehicle running through open country is going to tear up the tuff it comes over. That would be embedded in the tracks. The road wheels have dried mud on them, but there doesn't appear to be any on the very front of the chassis where the spare links are, or on the rear, like where the little lowered step thing is.

And why's the one guy yelling?

Maybe put the yelling guy up near the open hatches with some tools. Like he's yelling because he's frustrated with trying to fix whatever's wrong.
trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 01:23 AM UTC
Nice paint work looks great the weathering is spot on looks great,did you use white PVA glue if so i would think that will set clear and vanish.
One or two little details to put right or think about from other posts but i like nice work.

trackpads
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 02:36 AM UTC
thanks for comments very appreciated. I wanted to fix yelling man in the crew compartment - there is not enough room. He is the crew commander you can see his rank patch. Hes yelling at the crew - probably because they are not going fast enough or whatever? Use your imagination but clearly you can see he is vexed at his crew.
Yes the ammo containers are being added I am just weathering them at the moment. I will take some other pictures - the marder actually has tufts of grass in the fenders, the front hull and the rear hull. I used tamiya diorama paint for that.

as for hatches open - well thats to show off detail, and why not ? The engine is superdetailed. I will fix an oil can in that area - as though they were doing some first works on the engine.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks for comments very appreciated. I wanted to fix yelling man in the crew compartment - there is not enough room. He is the crew commander you can see his rank patch. Hes yelling at the crew - probably because they are not going fast enough or whatever? Use your imagination but clearly you can see he is vexed at his crew.

I didn't know if there was a specific story you had in mind with the build.

Quoted Text

Yes the ammo containers are being added I am just weathering them at the moment. I will take some other pictures - the marder actually has tufts of grass in the fenders, the front hull and the rear hull. I used tamiya diorama paint for that.

Ahh, makes sense. I couldn't see the diorama paint before because of the photo angles. How do you like that paint? I've never used it, or even seen it in person.

Quoted Text

as for hatches open - well thats to show off detail, and why not ? The engine is superdetailed. I will fix an oil can in that area - as though they were doing some first works on the engine.

Again, obviously you did some really nice work there with the engines and whatnot. Just thinking you should try and tie everything together. If you have a model just on a piece of wood, then it's simply a display model. Once you add real groundwork and figures, you're starting to tell a story. Same thing for me. I've got my thread of a Panzer II where the commander is standing out of the hatch, but 3 troops right next to the tank ducking and taking cover. The story isn't coherent, because of the vastly different actions of the figures.

Good luck and let's see this again when it's finished!
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 09:45 AM UTC
I too would like to hear more about that paint..never seen it before. One thing to point out, is the hatch on the frontal armor. Its sitting half open with nothing holding it up.
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hi Tim,
good point about the transmission access hatch, I will add a rod.

The diorama paint is a Tamiya product - I used the grass texture paint to add tufts of grass in areas very sparingly. Im sorry I have not shown that effect well in the photos.

The product is here -- http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/871texture_paint/index.htm there are also some videos.

scgatgbi
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC
Two things,

1st. The 2 ammo handlers look awkward. The way they are passing the round looks rather unsafe & not very secure. I don't know if there's a way to fix the way they are positioned, but it just looks unnatural.

2nd. Just a thought, but if you re-positioned the commander to the front and added a spilled tool box with the tools spilled over the front of the Marder & on the ground it would explain not only him yelling, but why the hatches are open. Essentially him dressing down who ever was the slob that dumped the tools & didn't clean them up and why does it take 3 guys to load ammo yet whater mechanical problems that need fixing are being ignored.

Otherwise, it's a nice little piece of work. The Marder looks really good!
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Two things,

1st. The 2 ammo handlers look awkward. The way they are passing the round looks rather unsafe & not very secure. I don't know if there's a way to fix the way they are positioned, but it just looks unnatural.

2nd. Just a thought, but if you re-positioned the commander to the front and added a spilled tool box with the tools spilled over the front of the Marder & on the ground it would explain not only him yelling, but why the hatches are open. Essentially him dressing down who ever was the slob that dumped the tools & didn't clean them up and why does it take 3 guys to load ammo yet whater mechanical problems that need fixing are being ignored.

Otherwise, it's a nice little piece of work. The Marder looks really good!

Dont follow you mate --- about the ammo handlers, they are passing a shell up, so it will be a bit heavy and awkward. They are plastic moulded figures so its a bit difficult to change the poses? Dont get wht you say about unnatural? Its a moment of action. How can you change the positioning if they are passing a shell up.

Im adding some stuff to where the hatches are open. In terms of these comments "dont understand why the hatches are open" what do you actually mean? In the first place this is clearly preperation for battle, i.e. load up ammo, supplies and first works to the engine. This is the way things are done. As for yelling commander - well if you ever served in the military you would realise that it does not take a lot for a crew commander to start barking at the crew to move quicker.

In any case I have added the oil containers adjacent the engine hatch, which explains that work was ongoing.
 _GOTOTOP