_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Go West! ...With Masterbox
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 10:11 PM UTC
Masterbox Ltd. have sent us images of the finished figures of their first (1/35th scale) set covering a very different period and subject area with 3549 - Yankee Scout and Tracker - U.S. Civil War Series. The Photo-Report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 02:54 AM UTC
The artwork looks like they are in front of the Black Hills. This would be a great set for a change of pace, and it is very different. I think I'll get this.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 04:37 AM UTC
Jim do you know if this is an area MB intends to expand upon, or is it a one off? I ask as while not a time period I would usually work with or think about, I would be intersted in a selection of this type as a change of pace. I guess those Cossacks wet my appitite for cavelry figures.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 04:41 AM UTC
Darren they've at least one more set in the pipeline. I guess it depends on how well they are received and logically enough, sales, to see if its worthwhile continuing...
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 05:19 AM UTC
When this set was originally announced/shown a few years ago, was it not going to be in 54mm?
The problem with keeping it in 1/35th is that all accessories for this era is 54mm, and I would think the more logical scale for this type of figure? Dragon have tried this with 2 sets of figures in 54mm, but didnīt go very well for them.
Maybe this new age might be kinder to Masterbox. Iīd consider buying these anyway.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 11:03 PM UTC
I'm no expert on this, but on the painted examples it looks like the cavalryman has sergeant stripes on the arms as well as officer rank insignia on the shoulders? I suppose this is to show it can be modelled as either?

Looks to be a nice set, I'm interested in what they will bring next in this "Civil War" series!

Cheers!
Stefan
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm no expert on this, but on the painted examples it looks like the cavalryman has sergeant stripes on the arms as well as officer rank insignia on the shoulders? I suppose this is to show it can be modelled as either?

Looks to be a nice set, I'm interested in what they will bring next in this "Civil War" series!

Cheers!
Stefan

Also notice the choice of hat. That may signal choice of officer or enlisted/NCO.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 12:57 AM UTC
It's already on sale at jaddar hobby shop.. so I'n sure it'll get to the US pretty soon.

http://www.jadarhobby.pl/3549-civil-series-yankee-scout-tracker-p-20199.html?osCsid=095a7d6c771a8f581d9917ac12a08133

Hisham
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers!
Stefan

Also notice the choice of hat. That may signal choice of officer or enlisted/NCO.

Needless to say some liberties have been taken. You of course would never have seen a Sgt with shoulder boards. Kepis and slouch hats were pretty interchangeable in the everyday uniform, not necessarily denoting an officer. Still, its an interesting looking set, I have two on pre-order. Actually, the Cavalryman does indeed look better for the ACW (can anyone say "East Cavalry Field at Gettysburg dio?") while the scout looks much more appropriate for the post war period. Of course, there were Native Americans on both sides during the ACW, and both sides did a fair amount of "Indian Fighting" during the war itself. Personally, I hope to do one set for the ACW, and then another for the post-war period. My girlfriend has ancestors in the Cavalry (and interestingly enough they fought in the war in the "Irish Brigade (amongst others) a la Sgt Maj O'Rourke in John Ford's "Ft Apache") and also one who was a Native American Scout (Apache), so it should make a cool Father's Day present for him.

Just a quick note on the figures uniform, there could often be little difference in the field between what an officer wore, and a private. U.S. Grant, who of course wound up commanding the entire US Army often wore a Private's uniform in the field, because it was simply more comfortable. R.E.Lee was generally better dressed, but often wore Colonel's rank on his uniform, rather than his full General's rank. Anyway, I hope to see future releases in this line, including of course a few "rebs!"

I may do WW2 armor, but the ACW is my first love (I'm one of the few here who mourned the demise of Verlinden. I miss their big ACW guns, I have the 15inch Rodman, the 100 pounder Parrott and a 12 pounder Napoleon, I wish that they had made more field guns!)

Anyway, I hope that these figures are a big hit!

John
casailor
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 05:00 AM UTC
This has interesting dio possibilities. Does anyone remember the TV episode of Twilight Zone (I think) that had a National Guard tank and crew go back in time to the Little Big Horn Battle? I can see the tracker looking at tank tread tracks and saying What the heck!?

You could get a lot more complex than that, but it is a simple idea for a inexpensive dio.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This has interesting dio possibilities. Does anyone remember the TV episode of Twilight Zone (I think) that had a National Guard tank and crew go back in time to the Little Big Horn Battle? I can see the tracker looking at tank tread tracks and saying What the heck!?

You could get a lot more complex than that, but it is a simple idea for a inexpensive dio.

That's the episode "The 7th is full of Phantoms." Episode 10 Season 5. It has a young Warren Oates, and also Mission Impossible's Greg Morris. The tank is an M5 Stuart, yet another reason this is my favorite tank. That's a great idea. It would have to include a little artistic license since the tag line of the episode is that they weren't able to take the tank back with them.

I may very well pick this kit up when it hits the LHS. It looks very nice.

GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 08:50 AM UTC
Not sure why it says - US Civil War Series? More appropriate would be Indian Wars -
And yes the Cavalryman is wearing both Officer and NCO rank - neat set - a change of pace.
jowady
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure why it says - US Civil War Series? More appropriate would be Indian Wars -
And yes the Cavalryman is wearing both Officer and NCO rank - neat set - a change of pace.

If you check their website they are working on a set for the 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry. The 8th PA Cav was in the Army of the Potomac (missed Gettysburg, on detatched duty, although Dyer's Compendium shows them present. Certainly they were in on the pursuit to the Potomac. They were in most of the Battles in the Virginia Theater. Beyond that, they look like a set of good solid Union Cavalrymen.

John
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 04:57 PM UTC
A nice addition. Maybe MB is going to get behind some 1/35 Civil War/Indian Wars era figures. I'd like to see some artillery, a Gatling Gun, and maybe some wagons. Whether these sell or not, you have to give it to Masterbox for breaking the norm.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 09:02 PM UTC
Now, how many of you are thinking of 'Guns of the South'? Inevitably, my mind immediately went on this track when I was told of these a while ago...
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 04:08 AM UTC
I'm always looking for something new and different to build. This set and the previously announced cavalry set are perfect. They seem like a nice change of pace from the WWII stuff.
I'm looking forward to more releases in this line.

I do agree with Plasticbattle that most of the available accessories are in in 1/32 (54mm). Maybe if this line is successful we'll see wagons, cannons, tents, barrels, etc. in 1/35.
A person can dream can't they?

Jeff
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 05:22 AM UTC
Ah, some turtledove fans across the pond. This is a great set from what I see, and a must have. Still hoping they release the confederate infantry set they had planed. One good thing with all these sets is that they can all be used for the Plains/Indian war. The uniforms and equipment were pretty much the same with alot of adhoc civilian stuff thrown in. Is nice to get away from German grey and American green for a change. I think the twilight zone story was based on the comic book story with the Stuart , was called ghost tank with Jeb Stuart as the T.C.s past relatives ghost. Or the other way around. Lots of potential with all these.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 09:16 AM UTC
I realize that the Europeans and Asians do not connect with this, but as an American I can say that this is very welcome and opens a whole new area of the hobby. Lots of different guns supply wagons , loads of infantry and cavalry etc. Same goes for WW 1 stuff. Bring it on in 1/35 th.......Please..........Al
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the twilight zone story was based on the comic book story with the Stuart , was called ghost tank with Jeb Stuart as the T.C.s past relatives ghost. Or the other way around. .

No relationship between the two. The comic book series, which began in May 1961 in G.I. Combat #87 was The Haunted Tank, featuring, initially, a Stuart tank commanded by a descendant of J.E.B. Stuart . The general haunted the tank.

The Twilight Zone episode had a National Guard M5 Stuart on maneuvers in the area of the Little Bighorn 25 June 1964, 88 years to the day after the Last Stand. The crew keeps finding hints of the battle , but nothing looks aged. Eventually, the crew joins the battle without the tank and the fade out shows their names on the Custer monument. It first aired 6 December 1963.

(Opening Narration)

Narrator: June 25th, 1964 - or, if you prefer, June 25th, 1876. The cast of characters in order of their appearance: a patrol of General Custer's cavalry and a patrol of National Guardsmen on a maneuver. Past and present are about to collide head-on, as they are wont to do in a very special bivouac area known as the Twilight Zone. [edit]

(Closing Narration)

Narrator: Sergeant William Connors, Trooper Michael McCluskey, and Trooper Richard Langsford, who on a hot afternoon in June made a charge over a hill - and never returned. Look for this one under 'P' for phantom, in a historical ledger located in a reading room known as the Twilight Zone. [edit]

Damn...I remember both of these as originals!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I realize that the Europeans and Asians do not connect with this, but as an American I can say that this is very welcome and opens a whole new area of the hobby.

Absolutely wrong. Interest in the 'West' is possibly even greater in Europe than in the States. It's a long-ingrained cultural thing Western movies books you name it, here in Europe it's eaten up. One of the most prolific and greatest selling Western novelist in History? A former postman from England.

It's like the Blues - where did the 60s Blues Revival begin? Memphis? Nope, Glasgow...
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 02:51 AM UTC
Had no idea that Europeans were interested in the US civil war and was wrong to assume that they are not.. Some of the westerns are really good and I have a collection of them. Gods and Generals is one awsome Civil War story along with Gettysburg. An older story , Horse Soldiers is also good. Well thanks for setting me straight on western movie appreciation in Europe.......Al
jowady
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Had no idea that Europeans were interested in the US civil war and was wrong to assume that they are not.. Some of the westerns are really good and I have a collection of them. Gods and Generals is one awsome Civil War story along with Gettysburg. An older story , Horse Soldiers is also good. Well thanks for setting me straight on western movie appreciation in Europe.......Al

I have seen ACW reenactment groups in Holland. Certain things seem to transcend time and place. For example, look at the fascination with the Royal Navy of the Napoleonic Wars here in the United States. (On a personal note though, i would strongly disagree with G&G.)

John
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
I stand corrected, thanks Al. Memory must be going south or too much info and not a good enough retrival system.
 _GOTOTOP