_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Showing real names to search engines, etc.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 06:20 PM UTC
I had an email from a member who didn't much like that his name is searchable by Google going back to his user account here. This is not the first complaint I have had and I am sure there are many who are hesitant to have their full name visible to the world.

So my question to the membership is: Should we only show full name information in the forums or on member profile pages to those users that are logged in? This will mean search engines won't index/save that info.

I could potentially also allow this to be an option in your user configuration area; ie: allow my full name to be seen by public vs. only logged in users.

For the purposes of allowing people to find review or feature content by a particular author, I think I will have to stick to those types of things displaying the name to search engines though.

Let me know your feedback.

Thanks,
Jim
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 09:57 PM UTC
I think that just for logged in users is fine. In regard to reviews i don't think that there is a choice (except making that section visible to logged in members as well, but i don't know if such a thing is good).

Maybe make the defult option to show names just to members, and one that wants to can hide his or hers name alltogether
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:28 PM UTC
Personally I don't care.
Full real names are not a requirement on Kitmaker though I think they should be. I find people are a lot more polite when they have to show their real name somewhere on the forum..
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 02:08 AM UTC
I fully agree with Pat, i like to know who im talking to by name , not by a :handle: only. I guess im old fashioned
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally I don't care.
Full real names are not a requirement on Kitmaker though I think they should be. I find people are a lot more polite when they have to show their real name somewhere on the forum..

Exactly, I agree 100%- so much easier to hide behind a call-sign and single name and play the annoying troll anonymously.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC
I'd go for "display to those logged in only". I have shortened my name to my shortcut (mbr) for that reason currently. Those who know me personally will recognize me from the shorthand. Those here on the network that want my full name can PM me. But here in germany model building is seen as a "strange" hobby if you are lucky and as "potential right wing stuff/guy" by some. So as long as Google etc. can find me, I'd go by shorthand and nickname. Same for my other big hobby (PnP Roleplaying)
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd go for "display to those logged in only". But here in germany model building is seen as a "strange" hobby if you are lucky and as "potential right wing stuff/guy" by some.

I agree, I don't like my profile to be found on Google, that's why I keep personal Info to a minimum. If it's an option then that's even better. Military modeling is regarded as a "strange" hobby here as well. If my name is under a review or feature I don't mind, there are enough people with the same name to keep some anonymity...

I also think it's nice to know who your talking to and not just "wermhj123"...

Cheers
Stefan
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 09:23 AM UTC
Jim,

I'm joining the chorus. I haven't put my full name in my profile exactly because I don't want the world and its cousin identifying me in a way that can be cross-referenced for who knows what purpose. If only bona fidae members could see it I'd be more willing to share my full name so it appears in headings, on reviews, etc.

...but I'd still sign my posts just "Tom", since that's how I end a note to friends!

My two cents spent,

Tom (aka barkingdigger, aka Tom Cromwell...)
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 11:33 AM UTC
I don't have any problem with using my real and full name. I have participated in many discussion groups and find quite frankly that too many prople hide behind being "ihatetheworld51". Its harder to be rude, crude, or just plain nasty if you are :John Dynia" instead. While that isn't as big a problem here, this can keep it from becoming one. As long as you're not giving out my SSN, my home and cell numbers, etc. I have no problem.

John Dynia
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC
I think it's fine the way it is. I googled my name in college a wile back and it come up with my name and a picture. I'm not bothered about it personally, its done no harm so why fix something that's not broken?

dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 329 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
I have just googled my name to see what comes up. Armorama didn't come up but it turns out I'm a serial killer and also running for Sheriff of Lincoln County!
Seems I'm quiet a busy boy

But on a serious note it doesn't bother me if my name is searchable via Armorama it's not like you hold any sensitive data on me and I'm lucky to live in a country where making models isn't seen as such a bad thing.
Cheers
David
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:46 AM UTC
If I understand this correctly, you mean because you need to provide a full name in order to obtain an account, then even if you choose NOT to display your full name when posting for example, your full name is still searchable?

While I agree with those who say it is better when people give their full names, plenty of people do have potentially legitimate concerns about internet identity "security" as it were, and I suppose it would be a good thing to allow them to "protect" themselves in this way. It is after all the case that once you post something it is not fully undoable and it's probable it is stored forever on some server somewhere. I guess therefore I think you should go with the change you are suggesting, otherwise some may feel that they can no longer participate.

It is of course perfectly possible to be using what sounds like a real full name, but is fictitious, so not really so much proof of sincerity or honesty or whatever. On this forum it doesn't usually matter so much, though elsewhere on the internet I do find some of the anonymity a bit annoying.

Quoted Text

I'm lucky to live in a country where making models isn't seen as such a bad thing.

well, that's true, I guess, but on the other hand, using a photo of yourself holding an automatic rifle wearing hunting gear may possibly not be seen in a such a positive light by all in the UK as elsewhere in the world!!
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just googled my name to see what comes up. Armorama didn't come up but it turns out I'm a serial killer and also running for Sheriff of Lincoln County!

David

David, try googling Thomas Cromwell and see how few personal references I get! Pity the spam bots can't harvest details for 16th-century ministers...

Tom
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

David, try googling Thomas Cromwell and see how few personal references I get! Pity the spam bots can't harvest details for 16th-century ministers...

Tom

Good job on the monasteries Thomas!
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

r and also running for Sheriff of Lincoln County!
Seems I'm quiet a busy boy

Cheers
David

Would that be Lincoln County , New Mexico, USA? If so good luck on handling what your predecessors have left you of the Billy The Kid case. The last Sheriff reopened the Murder case of deputy Bob Ollinger, supposedly killed by the Kid in the 19th Century. As we say in the States, "Good luck with all THAT!"

John
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good job on the monasteries Thomas!

Jim, glad you liked it! You could say I was doomed to study history...

Tom
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 07:12 AM UTC
I have updated all the areas I could think of so that non-logged-in users will no longer be able to see your real name data. I am not 100% sure I hit all the areas but after a few days (or weeks) I can check Google and make sure no recent spider sessions are picking anything up.

So for those lurking on the site wanting to see peoples actual names... login!

I will be adding another new feature for the 'shy' types down the road. The ability to be logged in and be 'hidden' (so that your name does not appear down in the footer).

Thanks,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP