_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
REVIEW
TANK Hard-edge Camo Painting Masks
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 04:02 PM UTC
Steve Riley takes a look at Hard-edge Camouflage Painting Masks from TANK, handy sheets of pre-cut self-adhesive masks specifically for hard-edge camo patterns on AFVs.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 07:38 PM UTC
Before I say to much on this product I have a couple of questions.
Are they a use once a throw away product?
Would they work at a point where 3 angles converge as opposed to two?
What price is the product? or expected price as I have never seen this before.
How easily did they conform to a shaped surface as opposed to a flat surface?
Thank you in advance.
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 08:43 PM UTC
Hi Darren,

Quoted Text

Before I say to much on this product I have a couple of questions.
Are they a use once a throw away product?

Afrer peeling them off the model post-spraying, I found that some of them seemed to be quite OK to use again, while others weren't. As far as I'm aware, they're not marketed as one thing or the other.

Quoted Text

Would they work at a point where 3 angles converge as opposed to two?

I tried that and they worked OK with a little extra "persuasion".

Quoted Text

What price is the product? or expected price as I have never seen this before.

I paid EUR 3.95 per sheet from my German e-tailer (see review). No idea as to GBP or US$ prices - sorry. They were new to me also, so I thought I'd give 'em a go.

Quoted Text

How easily did they conform to a shaped surface as opposed to a flat

See review.

HTH. Cheers,

- Steve
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:07 PM UTC
Interesting product if my favourite online shops start to stock them I'll try out a set.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:08 PM UTC
thanks for the review. these look interesting enough, and could save some good time instead of (as stated in the review) use blutack or the likes. shame not all of the parts are re-usable.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 05:04 AM UTC
Steve I took a close look at the finished model and read the review for the third time. Looking at the finished model it would appear from the finished model that you avoided points where the masks would have to conform to 3 faces coming together. Ref the shaped surface I can see where you have used the mask but I could not find the portion of text that refers directly to how easy or difficult it was to get the mask to conform to the shape without creasing or lifting.

Thank you for the answers to my other questions.
kaysersose
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 05:22 AM UTC
hmmm, call me a curmudgeon, but I'll save my bucks and keep on making my own masks, which would then also be custom to the model.

I use painter's tape (green or blue, always low tack) which I trim or even just tear with my hands to the shape that I'm looking for. If I see I need to tweak the mask's coverage, I often just take a wee little piece to modify the mask wherever I want. Spray, tear off, voila! With money in my pocket still.

Interesting concept tho'! Likely an advantage somewhere I simply don't recognize.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 05:53 AM UTC
Looks like it would be better to leave all complicated corners or joints for the final color which you don't have to mask for.
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like it would be better to leave all complicated corners or joints for the final color which you don't have to mask for.

That of course is one way of doing it .

Quoted Text

hmmm, call me a curmudgeon, but I'll save my bucks and keep on making my own masks, which would then also be custom to the model.

Not at all, Alex. Each to their own. Whatever works for you.

@Darren: I did try out the "three faces" thing on a old Sherman hulk and I got the thing to settle on that okay. Obviously where it's just two faces it's far easier, but I did manage to place it with a bit of extra coaxing and pressing. I should have taken a photo perhaps. Sorry about that (an oversight on my part).

Re your question about how hard it was to get the masks to conform to the shape of the surface without lifting, in not quite sure what you mean by that, as I thought this part of the review covered it:

Quoted Text

I found that they stuck down very smoothly on the larger flat surfaces, and could also be made to snuggle nice and tight around slightly raised or recessed details (such as hinges and panel lines) by just gently rubbing on them with a fingernail and/or the tips of modelling tweezers. A careful small incision or two with a sharp craft knife allows them to sit neatly around grab handles and the like, though it's probably best to leave off larger items such as spare tracks and tow ropes.

But to clarify, the masks behaved themselves very well once they were in place. There were a few points of very minor lift at the edges, but all I did there was go round the whole lot pressing gently with the tip of my finger immediately prior to spraying to make sure the edges were nice and tight against the model. That did the trick.

Possibly with repeat use, "edge lift" would become more of an issue as the stickiness becomes increasingly compromised each time the masks are removed, put back and then removed again. But only time (and repeat use) will answer that one. These were just my initial experiences that I thought might be of interest to The Panel, as this appears to be a very new product, and I could find no previous mention of it on Armorama.

Creasing or wrinking wasn't a problem.

Hope that helps.

- Steve
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
These seem very usefull,

Are the different sets all generic, or are they for specific vehicles?
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

These seem very usefull,

Are the different sets all generic, or are they for specific vehicles?

Generic, Marc.

Some of the sheets are probably useful for aircraft also.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 10:15 AM UTC
Thank you for the clarification Steve on what is an unusual product, I wonder if the company that makes the wheel masks will follow up with a product like this.
Ankmutant_George
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 01:54 PM UTC
Does anybody know any european shop that sells this masks? I´ve been trying to find one, but without any luck

Jesper
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 01:17 AM UTC
I agree with Alex I use blue painters tape cut r torn to my liking. Does anyone have a photo of a kit that this stuff was used on?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
Anyone sell these in the States?
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 04:23 AM UTC
At first glance, it sounds attractive but maybe costly... It seems a bit of guilding the lilly.

It looks to me like you might need a new set for each different vehicle you did, as scheme-scale differs among vehicle types and between scales. That, and patterns differ between nations...

Also - (this may have emerged elsewhere this thread) how reusable are these masks? If one gets only one vehicle per most sets, it would add substantially to the cost.

I'm a blue tape dino!
 _GOTOTOP