_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
57mm/6lb AT gun
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC
I wish to model a US 57 mm AT gun in 1/35. I am using the (very) old Italeri/Peerless Max 6 lb'er kit from so long ago I can't remember - at least it's a bit better than the even older Tamiya! With wheels and carriage and towing ring from the Dragon 105 mm M1A1 gun for the conversion parts. The US version had the gun mounted on the M1A1 carriage, so I am assuming this is the same carriage as is the 105. So am I doing OK so far?? I searched the major AM companies and no one seems to make any PE or turned barrels or brass ammo for this gun. The 57 mm gun had a longer barrel (about 11/2feet longer) so I guess I am on my own there. Resicast makes a resin model of this gun, but I'm too cheap, and anyway I already have the Italeri model. This was one of the more widely used AT gun by the Allies and I think it really sucks that no one has released a newer kit of it. If anyone has any hints/info that will make my life and my conversion easier please feel free to inform me.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish to model a US 57 mm AT gun in 1/35. I am using the (very) old Italeri/Peerless Max 6 lb'er kit from so long ago I can't remember - at least it's a bit better than the even older Tamiya! With wheels and carriage and towing ring from the Dragon 105 mm M1A1 gun for the conversion parts. The US version had the gun mounted on the M1A1 carriage, so I am assuming this is the same carriage as is the 105. So am I doing OK so far?? I searched the major AM companies and no one seems to make any PE or turned barrels or brass ammo for this gun. The 57 mm gun had a longer barrel (about 11/2feet longer) so I guess I am on my own there. Resicast makes a resin model of this gun, but I'm too cheap, and anyway I already have the Italeri model. This was one of the more widely used AT gun by the Allies and I think it really sucks that no one has released a newer kit of it. If anyone has any hints/info that will make my life and my conversion easier please feel free to inform me.

There was a build of the US 57 mm about twenty years ago in Fine Scale Modeler (as I recall, it was by Cookie Sewell, of AMPS fame). He used Evergreen styrene tube to extend the kit barrel, as the longer portion was not tapered, fortunately. He used the wheels from Italeri's "US Trailers" set (which reboxed a couple of trailers originally issued with the Peerless Max Dodge truck kits). He used the kit gun carriage, however (the 105mm howitzer carriage was used on the heavier 3-inch antitank gun).
AFV Club has issued some turned brass Six Pounder ammunition to go with their new Churchill kits.
Banshee3Actual
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
I'm in the middle of doing this myself. I found this how to

http://www.usarmymodels.com/MANUFACTURERS/Italeri/italeri323.html
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 05:15 PM UTC
Thanks. After much consultation betwen myself and my references I concluded that the gun carriage and wheels from the 105 was wrong, but I can still use the towing lunette. The original 6 lber carriage is still acceptable, I think, but I definitely need American style wheels. M8/20 wheels are way too big and jeep wheels are way too small.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks. After much consultation betwen myself and my references I concluded that the gun carriage and wheels from the 105 was wrong, but I can still use the towing lunette. The original 6 lber carriage is still acceptable, I think, but I definitely need American style wheels. M8/20 wheels are way too big and jeep wheels are way too small.

The Italeri Cargo Trailers set will yield suitable wheels and can be found on ebay. The M2A1 105mm Howitzer had the M2 Carriage which was shared with the 3" AT gun as has been indicated above. Good luck with it
Cheers
Al
 _GOTOTOP