Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Accurate Armour's Coyote.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith: This is very interesting looking. I only have two AA kits as they are quite pricey especially when shipping to the US. I haven't started them as I wanted to develop my skills in resin a bit so that I can do them justice.

I understand your frustration with the instructions, I know that feeling all to well. I Don't know if these offer any help to you, but you may find these links of use-

Supacat's HMT 600 page
Armorama announcement

Most images seem to be recycled across the web. It appears that someone isn't fond of having clear pictures of the interior floating around on the internet.

Thank's very much for pointing those out, they are exactly what I needed at this point.
Of course they were readily available but in my frustration I missed them.

The relevent photos/pictures SHOULD be included within the appropriate kit box, especially at this price !

I don't have web access in my model shed and will have to print off what I need in order to move on.

Again, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
OK here we go.
This just in from Rob Tearle of Accurate Armour.

Derek is away at War and Peace show so from limited access to the system I have, I got this shot of one of the prototypes. Some of the details are different but the location to the frame is the same.

'Cut the bolt head off the top of the short bars' and glue the short legs of the ecm table to the same spot.

Adjust the angle of the rear legs until the table is level

Hope this helps.
Rob.

This answers my question without a doubt. I did reply with my thanks and a suggestion that clarification be added to the instructions of any remaining stock and future printings.

Keith.
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 08:48 PM UTC
Kieth,

thanks for all your hard work. It's going to make my build a lot easier. My instructions have some of the changers you suggested, but not all of them. Still should be a good build!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 01:24 AM UTC
Your welcome mate. I wish I had them at the start as well.

Still not done yet but hopefully no more adjustments to the instructions will be needed

If you look closely at the picture you can also see the silver looking 'blade' clips that hold the Jerrican racks in the vertical position. these will be a 'joy' so don't miss them from your build.

Had a conversation with my old regiment this morning (Household Cavalry) and they assure me some in use pictures will be sent ASP.

Keith.
stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC
they look and sound amazing. I wish i could afford one but i'm only 13, ah well better get savin the pennys.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 07:54 AM UTC
'UPDATE'.
I was informed a few minutes ago that a disk containing some 90 plus pictures of 'B' Sqn The Household Cavalry Regiment (comprising of men from the Life Guards and Blues and Royals) during their recent tour in Afghanistan has been dispatched to me here in the States. B. Sqn used both Jackal 1 and Jackal 2. with some supporting Coyote vehicles.

The regiment indicated it was far better to send a disc so that I could utilize and choose the best pictures for my/our (model) needs.

I will donate either a Jackal 1 or 2 to the Regimental Museum in Windsor when both are completed.

Here is a shot of a troop 'O' Group taking place in front of a Jackal 1, to wet your appitite (and mine).
It was shared with me earlier today before the disc decision was taken.

Keith.

Sapper131
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 01:18 AM UTC
Ok, picked up a coyote and a WMIK at War and Peace this weekend so ive bookmarked this thread and will be using it for reference.

Im well looking foward to seeing your finished product, keep the pics coming.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
Moving along SLOWLY (just like me).

Another point to note,
item 71. (4 of) 'Roll bar Securing Plates'.
They are shown mounted on page 7 but are not numbered in the picture !
They secure the REAR of the mounting U shaped brackets/plates of the Bowman Communication boxes to the roll bar.

Anyway, a little more done yesterday.
Note, the doors at this point are mounted for the photo (easy to remove), they are moveable at this point until I decide on a finished presentation style.

The first stowage rack in place.
Care must be taken with placement of the hinges as the instruction photo's once again come up short in visual quality.

More later today I hope.

Keith.
Ps. A few Jackal 1 photo's on the 'Here comes Jackal' thread.

Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 12:35 AM UTC
Another wrongly numbered part. E23 is the front mount.

And E10 goes UNDERNEATH E33 hence the dashed line with arrow.

Soon be time to hit the paint, Yippee !

Keith.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC
Keith,

Your Coyote is looking great!
You should turn this into a correct build article the the manufacurer AA shoud include in or make it available for their kits, since you have said the instructions aren't.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 02:45 AM UTC
Keith
This is looking very nice and clean. I am sure AA appreciates your feedback and your build thread will make it easier on those to follow.
Can't wait to see it all painted up.
Regards
Bill
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 12:36 AM UTC
I like your ideas chaps but time and age is against me. Plus I cannot be certain that I am building it correctly when correcting these mistakes.

Derek does acknowledge my corrections as I send them to him and hopefully takes steps to sort things out. I will admit that I have built many of AA's kits with at least 10 sitting waiting and the instructions thus far have been above par.

I took a quick look at some of those in my stash for comparison, Bedford, Tilly, Ferret Mk.5, Mk.2, lightweight trailor, two Land Rovers, Chieftain Mk7 AARV and thinking back to some I have completed, Scammel Commander, Bridgelayer, Mk.5 ARV, Cent AVRE. and more...... NONE have or have the problems I have mentioned during this thread.

Picture clarity is more of a problem with this Jackal/Coyote range of vehicles than the issue of incorrect numbering and combining Coyote and Jackal 2 instructions together did leave some assembly portions uncovered.

Still one wouldn't and shouldn't part with money for these items unless you are reasonably happy and able to handle complex builds.

It has been a learning curve for sure and will stand me in good stead for any others that may cause me to pause and look twice before adding glue.

X8-)

Keith.

Sapper131
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 12:09 PM UTC
Hey Keith

Is there any chance you could post on a pic of the rear tow hook assembly as the instructions ive got you cant see the pic at all.

Regards
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 10:58 PM UTC
It's an impressive build Keith but obviously not an easy one!
Can't wait to see it with some paint on.

Olivier
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Keith

Is there any chance you could post on a pic of the rear tow hook assembly as the instructions ive got you cant see the pic at all.

Regards

I will working on the beastie (Coyote) later today and will give it a whirl for you.

Check back in the morning.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC
Ok Nick.
The reason you can't see a picture building the rear tow hook plate and assy, is because there aren't any.

The tow hook, back plate and trailor power socket. Items 86-87-88.
Here is my effort. Along with some other problems and progress from yesterday and yes I did straighten it out (hook) later..

The rear number plate E39 is listed in the E parts list but only shown in place in the finished model picture on page 13.

Wire cutter (two parts) 23B are mentioned in the E parts listing but not shown in any picture for location?

Part numbers E35 and E36 Mudflaps need reversing in parts list.

Finally > The lower picture on page 10 indicates 92 + Rod #1...BUT NO indication as to where they go? When you refer to the parts list, they are described as "Rear stowage rack divider 4/8" (four plus 8 extras).?
The two descriptions are completely different.
An UFO at this point !

The Red Arrow, left side of picture should indicate a use of Fire Ext. decal but doesn't.

Now progress.
.50 ring mount is completed, mudflaps, number plates, side indicator light boxes and rear tail light/turn indicator boxes are now fitted.

Much more Brass Etch to be used but this will be split between before painting and after.
Wiring for EID suite and Bowman at the final point before stowage.

Maybe more tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry about the picture quality but I hope some of this helps.

Keith
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 12:47 AM UTC
I received the following from Rob Tearle at Accurate Armour >

Hi Keith

Once again sorry for the inaccuracies in the kit instructions and thank you for pointing them out to us. Hope it has not detracted from your enjoyment of building the kit too much.

The arrow pointing to the firex on p10 is for the blue decal, the "92+Rod#1" should read "93+Rod#1" and the wire cutter parts E23 fits on the wire cutter bar just below the first bend in the bar (best seen on p11).

Your kit, I think, is quite early, later production has a better location mark.

All of the points you have raised have been incorporated into the instructions and we greatly appreciate your input.

Regards,

Rob Tearle

Obviously I have a VERY early kit run with VERY EARLY instructions.
Others may have later versions of both and may or may not be subjected to the slow going I am experiencing at this point.

I know the end result is going to be worth the effort, AA stuff always is.

Oh well, back to the work bench later today I hope.

Keith.
Sapper131
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 11:02 PM UTC
Thanks for the pics you posted on. They were a great help.

your build is looking great and im still looking fowards to seeing the finished result.

Paint wise what are you using as a primer and what is your base colour going to be? are you going to work straight out of the bottle or have you got a mixture of your own?

Thanks.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:51 PM UTC
Keith,

You're certainly putting the motto "improvise, adapt, and overcome" to use on this one. Derek & Co. at AA owe you a big "thanks" for the grunt work you're doing on documenting the errors and ommisions in the instructions!

So, are you finally gonna let us have a first-hand look at this beast at the next AMPS meeting? I can't wait to see it under some paint. It's almost enough to get me to build some armor used in this century!

Mike
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the pics you posted on. They were a great help.

your build is looking great and im still looking fowards to seeing the finished result.

Paint wise what are you using as a primer and what is your base colour going to be? are you going to work straight out of the bottle or have you got a mixture of your own?

Thanks.

Unfortunately I have been a bit busy with having our home's exterior painted so my modelling has taken a back seat the past 10 days.

I will probably prime the beast with a very dark Brown, Black or Green (Suspension units, load bed etc seem to be Black and or Green). And then use a mix of Middle and Light Stone. The Bowman boxes, power cables (fuse wire), fire ext., ammo boxes etc. requiring paint before final assembly. The Armament can be added last.

I am at this point adding the photo etch chains, clips and pins. Once complete some paint fill finally begin to flow.

Keith.
Sapper131
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hi

Whats the latest on your Coyote? is it still a work in progress?

RE:- the instructions for this bad boy, on page 6, assembly instructions for item 13 on my instructions have lots of red arrows but no part numbers. Did you have the same problem? if so how did you resolve it?

Looking fowards to seeing the finished item.

Nick.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 01:00 AM UTC
Hello all.
Well I am here to admit my build stopped as work and other family things took precident. The cold weather isn't a help either, yes my workshop has a heater but very small so nothing really got done other than moving things from one place to another and back again.

That said, I am certain (I think) that some of you have finished your Jackals and or Coyotes and I hope you will share them with us.

I will get back to this shortly and continue my build and painting. AA have released the crews for these vehicles along with some personal equipment and weapon sets, so you can now fill them with appropriate gear if you so wish.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 01:52 PM UTC
Chaps I havent forgotten the Coyote.

It is on the left burner next to my Challenger 2 TES. But I intend to get it done before our AMPS show in July.

NO, neither will be in the competition, just for show...

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 12:18 AM UTC
Sorry about the yearlong delay on this one but other models, travel and work caused delays (no real excuses I guess)

Anyway, basecoat of medium brown (shadow and shade) and Black for the wheel wells and suspension areas. Suspension units are Black when the vehicle is assembled.

Hard use and constant touch painting by the troops soon make these vehicles look worn, even new ones take only a few weeks to alter the appearence!
Top coats included Tamiya Sand and Polly S British Gulf War Sand.

I am going to use Accurate Armours SAS troops for the crew.. It is said they use them now and then (Nuff said)... They are dressed for higher altitudes and colder weather, and come complete with thermal mugs!

Wheels on and now ready to paint the details, add decals and then assemble the modules.....

I will add more this weekend.

Keith.