M998 with TOW launcher?
Mudfeet
Visit this Community
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 09:43 PM UTC
Hi, HMMWV in action book's back cover has a drawing of an
4-door M998 armed with with TOW launcher, supposedly a field mod.

I couldnt find any photos, does anyone know was this vehicle real?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 02:23 AM UTC
Read the caption, it says it is an M966. That is the TOW armed variant of the hardtop HMMWV. Take a look at the doors in the drawing. They have the "X" pattern of a hardtop HMMWV. It is a standard HMMWV, not a field mod.

Yes, it exists in real life and it was the first HMMWV model variant kitted by both Testors/Italeri and Esci/Ertl in the 1980s.

Academy made a better one in the 1990s:

I think, but am not certain, that Tamiya's M1046 kit can be backdated into the M966. If it is so, this would make your best option.

Italeri's M1036 HMMWV kit can also be built as the M966. The M1036 is the same vehicle with a winch attached, but the Italeri kit includes the standard bumper which could be used to make it into an M966.
Mudfeet
Visit this Community
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC
Thanks, but i am speaking of HMMWV in action, by David Doyle.
Published Squadron Signal.

Its definetly M988 softtop, 4-door, with TOW launcher mounted back, not a M966, doors does not have X-pattern.

Caption says it's a M998 during First Gulf War, but crew is wearing three tone DCU's and what i believe to be Interceptor body armor.
It also has "truck type" mirrors, which i believe came after 1991?

Real or not, it still would make a interesting model.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 03:01 AM UTC
Sorry, I was referencing the wrong book then. The truck type mirrors came around early 1990-91 time frame. First on new vehicles then retrofitted to earlier trucks.

3-tone DCUs came after the Gulf War was over, so late 91-92. I got my first set in June 1992, so at least that early.

Most US TOW missile sections included a vehicle of some sort, so the need to field mod a truck seems unusual.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 03:21 AM UTC
I Say Build it!! Like Rob Said it would be unusual, but not impossible to exist. It would not be too hard to imgagine it possible. No one on this site could really challenge you for accuracy I would say. Both the TOW and The Humvee Exist, and it would be possible to to that. Could be one out there. Even if there wasn't who would really know. No one has ever seen every humvee ever created. It would be unusual and odd, but then again would be a great addition to a collection. I myself am going to build one. Anyways, it's better that a paper panzer. LOL

Herky
Mudfeet
Visit this Community
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I Say Build it!!

Probably going to, since its so unusual.
Reminds quite a lot ones used in Angola, armed with 106mm recoilless rifle.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 04:55 AM UTC
The vehicle you are referencing Lasse is not a 'factory' configuration. It was undoubtedly a field modification that could have been easily done by a maintenance section.

The base vehicle, as you stated, is a M998 4 door variant.

Herchealer and I have had previous discussions about this vehicle and I don't think it would be hard modification to produce.

Go for it and have fun. You must post pictures though!
 _GOTOTOP