Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WIP: M992A2 FAASV Conversion
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 02:39 PM UTC
Here is the next update. I have closed it all up and started adding details. I have completed the front wall. The generator grill and exhaust are from an M88 kit, with new PE added to the exhaust. Everything else is scratch from sheet plastic. The bolts are all hex-rod salami-sliced into bolts. The tool rack is left over from some other kit; no idea where it came from.

I also completed the door for the aux generator. The grills were cut from an M113 radiator grill.

I have pretty much completed the large side doors and their holders, hinges, etc. The balls on the pull bars that hold the doors back are bird shot from a shotgun shell. They fit the scale perfectly.

That's it for now. Next I will move on to the roof, side stowage racks, and rear. Its getting there, slowly but surely.

Let me know what you think.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 04:00 PM UTC
Looking good, Gino! You've created some pretty good scratch work. And the bird shot makes this a REAL mixed-media consruction.

If I am reading the earlier posts correctly, you will shortly be able to review a new FAASV kit and compare it for accuracy.

Now if you had only started this in Braile Scale...
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 12:43 AM UTC
Thanks Jeff. You know how it is. As soon as you scratch it, a kit will follow. No way on the 1/72. Its waaayyy too small for me.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have all the referances I need.

Yes, but will you put them to good use?

No, I plan on ignoring them and just building it however I see fit.

That's right Heavy you build them the way you want, I like your new out look on things man. Love the on-going progress and the detail, keep it up. It's shapping up really well.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 02:06 AM UTC
No Cavey, I was being facetious. I will follow my references meticulously and build it as accurate as possible. I haven't changes my outlook one bit. Thanks for the support though.
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi Gino,

Nice work! Seriously cool scratch building there.

Martyn
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 10:48 AM UTC
Thanks Martyn. It has been fun so far. I'll keep you posted.
bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 433 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 12:50 PM UTC
Excellent build so far.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 02:32 PM UTC
With the weather being so nice lately, I haven't been very motivated to sit at the bench. The beach has been more tempting. I have done a little though. I have managed to complete the back of the hull.

I made the storage basket by combining 4 of the baskets from an M109. I cut the angled ends off and mated the square sides. Then I cut them apart horizontally and stacked two on top of each other to make the elongated basket. The HALON box on the right is a resin piece copied from the Nimix M992 by a friend. The tail lights are from the M109 kit and the antenna mount is a modified Tamiya piece. Everything else is scratch.

I also added the antenna mount and tow cable to the front of the upper hull as well.

Next up is the roof and all its bits and pieces. Let me know what you think.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 07:12 PM UTC
I'm just curious about the apparent mix of different marks. What are you using as your reference?
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 07:31 PM UTC
Outstanding detailed work in those photos. I was wishing to see some work on the interior. Any way keep up the grate posting.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 - 12:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliments guys. Nope, no interior on this one. Maybe on another at a later date. I have looked at the Nimix kit and it appears to be a Spanish version that was not used by the US, it has many features that ours don't.

Rob, what do you see as mixes between marks? I am using pics I took of a current M992A2 here at Ft Stewart as my guide.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 02:27 PM UTC
Well, I used the word "apparent" simply because yours looks different than the one I did. (yes, if you build it, one will come out) I based mine on photos I took at Ft. Sill, and later at Camp Williams, of the M992A2's located on those posts. My current batch all come from Ft. Carson, and all show the later style rear door which facilitates loading the Paladin.
Perhaps your is indeed also an earlier M992A2, but the differences are so pronounced, it seems as if the one pictured below from Fort Carson would have called an A3, and of course we know there isn't such a mark.

RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gino;
LOL, some people cant read sarcasum. LOL
[quote]No Cavey, I was being facetious.....[quote] others dont understand this word. LOL

Gino; BTW I have been foolowing this build too. I second Rob's quest. What's with the 2 different rear door types. I hadn't seen the rear full panel door, only the split horizontal type.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 02:43 PM UTC
Gino got it right. I was in A Btry 3/41 FA 24ID then we became A Btry 1/9 3ID when we first got Paladin at Stewart. Our Cats had the doors like Gino is modeling on his. But anyway looks good Gino!!! Joey
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 06:50 PM UTC
Outstanding detail but the top line over the two small access doors, is a bit off but that's ok man as your over load of detail maks up for it man. Keep up the awesome work.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I just returned from a week vacation with the family in DC. There is nothing like seeing the fireworks on the Mall. It was a great time.

As to the different rear door types, I have seen the vertically split doors as well. Some of them here at Stewart have them, but most are the older horizontally split doors. I like that looks better and it is what I worked with as well. So that is what I went with.

I noticed that my line on the small doors was off too, after I had fully scribed it. Oh well, its close enough.

Now that I have time to get back to the bench, I hope to have another update soon.
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 11:47 AM UTC
Finally found the thread Gino, really nice work Gino. Good to see you had a nice holiday too.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 07:04 AM UTC
Thanks Martyn. I hope to have an update soon.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 01:08 PM UTC
A small update tonight. With the nice weather, family vacation, and summer in general, it sure is hard to sit at the bench. I have gotten a little bit done though. I have completed most of the roof.

I added the tubular hinge on the upper ammo access doors, the TC's hatch, and the details on the ammo doors.

I used detail pieces for the ends of the rod from Bradley hinges. I also used small rod and hex rods for all the bolt details. The baggage rods are small blocks of plastic with bolts and a length of 0.020 rod attached to the tops.

On the TC's hatch, I detailed it with a bump stop and lock back mechanism from an M113 kit. I also added handles and a combat lock from bits and pieces.

Lastly, I added the extended towing shackle bars on the rear.

That's it for now. Next will be finishing the tool tie-downs on the roof, building the side storage shelves, and detailing the front of the hull.

As always, let me know what you think.
Crossedrifles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC
What do I think? Apparently it doesn't matter, as you didn't correct the problem Rob pointed out, and instead chose to respond with sarcasm to what was meant to constructive criticism.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As you said about the scribed lines, close enough I guess.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 11:35 AM UTC
No idea as to what "problem" Rob pointed out that needed fixing. If you mean the alternate rear door, that isn't the type I am building. As to the small rear doors line. It really isn't that noticeable with the naked eye. The camera makes it look huge.

"Yes, but will you put them to good use?"

By the way, your reply was pretty sarcastic as well. So I replied with equal sarcasm.

I guess you can't please them all. If you are not pleased, so be it. I'm not building it for you anyways.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 12:35 PM UTC
I am very please with what I see here Gino ..... like it very much!
Looks like you are really putting "some" effort into this one.
Got the M109A6 to go with it ?

Cheers
Christopher
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 02:41 PM UTC
Thanks Christopher. I do have an M109A6 Paladin to go with it. Maybe it will be next. We shall see.