Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WIP: M992A2 FAASV Conversion
blkhwkmech
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
Looking good
can hardley wait to see it done.

Chris
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 01:55 AM UTC
Thanks Chris. Keep checking in for updates.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
I hear you regarding summer weather beach and family time.
Looks like you got right back into it though. Looks great and well detailed for sure

skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 10:29 AM UTC
I'll say this and let it go. I've have a flare-up w/Gino before, but I sat back and thought for a min... We are fusing over plastic. We brothers down range getting
shot at and blown up and we are sitting here fusing over plastic. Take the CC because everybody doesn't know every aspect of every vehicle out there. So...lets just learn from each other and have fun building. Skyshark Out!!!
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 01:05 PM UTC
Gino, looking good. Looks like you are having a fairly easy time of fixing the mistakes. Very impressive job!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 01:58 PM UTC
KoSprueOne: Thanks for the support.

Joey: No hard feelings bud. Thanks for checking in.

Cory: I'm glad you like it. I couldn't have done it without your help.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 03:30 PM UTC
Gino,
We're good, should have said had. Got no beef Brother! Lets just build plastic!
Joey
woody6968
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC
hey gino ,
cracking build there , very well done , looking forward to seeing it finished ,, these builds on here do inspire me to finish some of my own ,,,,well done mate
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 09:30 AM UTC
Thanks Ian. I hope to get it done soon.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 01:06 PM UTC
Another small update tonight. I continued working on the roof area and adding the tie downs and attachments for the tools. That area is now complete.

Next, I moved on to the side storage shelves. I cut them from sheet styrene and added braces underneath. I made all the rings for the chains from thin florist wire wrapped around a straight pin...yes, all 20 of them. That was fun. I drilled holes in the attachment plates and super-glued each one in place. The chain is small railroad chain attached to the loops with the same florist wire.

Lastly, I replaced the tool rack on the front wall with a better one w/out molded on tools. I think it looks much better now.

Next up are a few details on the front hull and the driver's hatch area. Then it will be ready for some paint.

As always, all comments welcomed.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 03:03 AM UTC
Fixed the photo links in above post. Sorry about that.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC
I have made quite a bit of progress since the last update. All of the basic construction is done. I built the driver's hatch and its hold-back mechanist, again from a modified M113 part. The hatch is hinged and detailed on the inside and outside.

I also completed the other details on the front end such as the step,
towing eyes, and lift rings.

I also completed the rear with the addition of mud flaps.

Finally, I added the anti-slip coating on the front deck and top of the hull using my Rustoleum Terra-Cotta spray technique.

There she is so far. Next up is some paint. I think I will paint it in sand and do it up as a 3rd ID vehicle in the initial invasion.

As always, all opinions welcomed. Let me know what you think.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 08:03 PM UTC
Looks good, and looking forward to see it painted.

Cheers, Harm
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 11:57 PM UTC
Excellent work, Gino. The scratchbuilding is very well done!

Have you now got a bunch of m113's with missing parts?

Looking forward to seeing your paint work. Will it be going in a dio or on its own?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 09:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliments guys.

No, no M113 kits missing parts. I've just built a bunch of M113 varients w/left over parts.

bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 433 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 09:37 AM UTC
Wow Gino, great work. Can't wait to see a coat of sand on it. I have hit a dead end with the "fire finder", let ya know if I come up with more though. - Bobby
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 10:13 AM UTC
Thanks Bobby. I'm looking forward to your FireFinder build as well.
Crossedrifles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No idea as to what "problem" Rob pointed out that needed fixing. If you mean the alternate rear door, that isn't the type I am building. As to the small rear doors line. It really isn't that noticeable with the naked eye. The camera makes it look huge.

"Yes, but will you put them to good use?"

By the way, your reply was pretty sarcastic as well. So I replied with equal sarcasm.

I guess you can't please them all. If you are not pleased, so be it. I'm not building it for you anyways.

I think you're having difficulty following the timeline here. I don't know how i could have been talking about the rear doors in my question, when Rob's post about the doors came well after my comment.
The hatch was mentioned specifically. I made what you unfortunately took to be a sarcastic comment because you still hadn't fixed it. Now, after the build is complete, it's still incorrect. Sorry for trying to help, but as you say, you're not building it for me anyway(s). (sic) I little thicker skin might have corrected the the mistake.
Maybe it's just me. Does anyone else notice the hatch being way off in the finished build thread?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 07:59 AM UTC
No, I am following the timeline just fine. I was trying to follow what you were referring to since you were being vague. Don't worry, my skin is plenty thick.

I did correct the hatch position and it is in the correct position from the measurements I took on the actual vehicle. If you actually read through the thread as opposed to focussing on your issues, you would see on page 1 where Rob and I discussed it and I mentioned that it was now corrected.

Rob: "I notice on this thread and on your new one in the Constructive Feedback forum that the TC hatch opening is now blanked in. Does this mean you're correcting the location?"

Me: "Rob: Yes, I am adjusting the position of the hatch. The opening was a little too big anyways. The hatch would have set in the hole and been too low. Thanks for the tip."

Maybe the camera angles or something are throwing you off, or maybe it is just you and your issues.

If you are interested in seeing it completed, check here.

Thanks for dropping in every 4 or so weeks with your helpful comments to revive the thread too.
Crossedrifles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for dropping in every 4 or so weeks with your helpful comments to revive the thread too.

I wasn't aware that regularity on the site were prerequisites. If post count is important to you, too bad. It's been four weeks or so, and I enjoy visiting the site when I can as it's a pleasant diversion from making license plates in the workshop.

I don't need to check the link. I've seen the finished product and that's why I posted. The hatch remains noticably wrong. Robert was correct, but has apparently not seen your "corrections".
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 06:40 AM UTC
Thanks for checking in again. Got it. See a couple posts below.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hey sally Gino's finished the build he's happy it so's everyone else deal with it
Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
Armorama: 277 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hey Hey Gino

Looking great man... really outstanding work, like always... looking forward to the finished up lil beast... lotta good scratching...

don't sweat the small stuff of others.. but you already know this.... just keep on driving forward like you always have.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Don't worry, I'm not bothered in the least bit.

Chris, It's already done. You can check it out here.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 12:34 AM UTC
My appologies to Bill (Crossedrifles). I have now been informed that the hatch should be slightly off-center to the right side. I missed that in my measurements.

A note to all, all the back and forth could have been avoided by simply pointing out that it needs to go a couple milimeters to the right side, as opposed to the cryptic talk and sarcasm. Sharing ideas and what you know are the key to a helpful, informative forum.

Too late to change it now, 99.9% of viewers will not know nor care that it is 2 mm too much to center. So be it.