_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Otto 3/4 ton Gun Truck
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC
I modified a M-51 weapons carrier to depict the M-37 3/4 ton truck of the Vietnam era http://groups.msn.com/armorama/otto.msnw?albumlist=2
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 07:59 AM UTC
Heh heh - great job animal! You beat me too it!

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
Thanks Gunnie. It was a little different but fun. I think that I will try another but use the AFV Club or Academy kit nest time.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gunnie. It was a little different but fun. I think that I will try another but use the AFV Club or Academy kit nest time.

Yep - I was going to convert the Skybow kit, but decided to wait a bit for the M37. Still waitin'...

There's other gun trucks to build in the meantime!

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
You might have a long wait. Skybow is no longer. AFV Club bought them out. I hop that They will build the kit. HINT HINT AFV CLub.....
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 09:13 AM UTC
A very good model Animal
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
That is really cool, Animal.

The only thing that bugs me are the whip antennas. You ought to try makig your own working bases. I use florist wire with bits of tube styrene and wire insulation. They bend just like the real springs, and because the florist wire is a bit soft, they hold their shape yet keep a bit of tension. With your skills, they should be easy to make.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip Bob. I got a little lazy with them. I will replace them with scratch built ones.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You might have a long wait. Skybow is no longer. AFV Club bought them out. I hop that They will build the kit. HINT HINT AFV CLub.....

I have a little inside information that makes me optimistic...

Hey - a week has gone by without a new gun truck model project appearing here - have you got anything else cookin? I'm painting "Camel" and "Road Runner" - and have been bored lately - probably gonna start a gun jeep to keep it rolling...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:55 AM UTC
I hope your right. I would like to get my hands on about a dozen of them if they appear on the market. I building the Brutus with the mini gun on the rear along with the Lil Brutus Gun Jeep. I am also rebuilding the Outlaw II. I didn't like my early version of the cab so I am redoing a new cab for it.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope your right. I would like to get my hands on about a dozen of them if they appear on the market. I building the Brutus with the mini gun on the rear along with the Lil Brutus Gun Jeep. I am also rebuilding the Outlaw II. I didn't like my early version of the cab so I am redoing a new cab for it.

Outlaw the APC gun truck - or the late-model where they went back to the steel box-style?

I'm looking for a stablemate for my gun jeep. I have already cut plastic for Snoopy I and II (two quite different trucks) and was looking for a small companion to go with either one of them...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
It is the Outlaw II the steel box version that replace the APC GT after it was wrecked. I modeled Jerry Barnes Gun Jeep. This one was with the 444Trans. He used this jeep when he was the convoy commander and 3rd Plt leader. You could model the Playboys baby. It was a colorful little Gun Jeep.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is the Outlaw II the steel box version that replace the APC GT after it was wrecked. I modeled Jerry Barnes Gun Jeep. This one was with the 444Trans. He used this jeep when he was the convoy commander and 3rd Plt leader. You could model the Playboys baby. It was a colorful little Gun Jeep.

I vaguely remember the Playboy gun jeep - but not sure if I have any pictures. Think I'll rut around the workshop when I get home. The wife just loves that...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:02 AM UTC
Gunnie if you go to the Gun Truck site http://groups.msn.com/VietnamGuntrucks/_homepage.msnw? and go to pictures. scroll down on the left side to the 545th Trans Co pictures you will find photos of the Gun Jeep.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie if you go to the Gun Truck site http://groups.msn.com/VietnamGuntrucks/_homepage.msnw? and go to pictures. scroll down on the left side to the 545th Trans Co pictures you will find photos of the Gun Jeep.

Okay! I was painting again on the two current projects and decided to jump back on the Internet instead of watching paint dry

Gunnie
Michel
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Hey - a week has gone by without a new gun truck model project appearing here - have you got anything else cookin? ...Gunnie

We, optimistic lazybones, 're still waitin' for a decent M54 plastic modelkit....!
C' m on Signor Italeri, or Tamiya-san....Just a 5t M cab & chassis...At least ! (:-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:21 AM UTC
I've just about given up on the Big T - but - I did send them a nice color reference book chock full of gun truck photos to pique someone's interest...

Perhaps I should have sent it to Italeri instead?!?

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:59 AM UTC
Gunnie that was a great idea. If we can generate enough interest and have more people requesting the five tons(M-54/52 etc) they might get the hint. I know that there is a growing interest in this truck by the amount of e-mail I receive on a daily basis form people asking how to convert or for a cast resin cab etc.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie that was a great idea. If we can generate enough interest and have more people requesting the five tons(M-54/52 etc) they might get the hint. I know that there is a growing interest in this truck by the amount of e-mail I receive on a daily basis form people asking how to convert or for a cast resin cab etc.

I can imagine you get blitzed. I did too for a while. I never have offered my parts for sale, but others have definitely taken the plans and process I described to them and made it "their own" in the interim. I have hopes that a different manufacturer get interested in the model, other than Tamiya, actually. If done, the result would be nothing short of awesome...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:14 AM UTC
I don't sell my resin parts, but I have traded them for some stuff that I may need. I didn't start to cast the cab parts for the purpose of selling them and still have no intention to do so now. I have sent off instructions to many so that they can build their own also. Sometimes it seems that I spend more time on the computer than in the actual building of a model. Don't get me wrong I don't mind it at all. As I have stated in the past, the more that know about our Gun Trucks the better. I am hoping that AFV Cllub or Academy will come out with a kit soon, along wirth the M-37.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:26 AM UTC
You know, I've never considered Academy in the equation...

No 1:35th scale Academy truck comes to mind other than the HMMWV. That would be interesting...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:50 AM UTC
More reason for Academy to produce one. They could be the first on the block. They did a pretty good job on the HMMV and the M-151 jeep.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
Any major difference between the WC51 and M37 in scale???
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
I'm depressed, I keep getting that the page is no longer there!!!!!!!!!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
Try Here http://community.webshots.com/album/84828023iOaPEr
 _GOTOTOP