Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BTR-3U
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey JIm, that Grizzly was built over on Missing link some time back. Chris

Thanks, I found it on CC, it was by Mark Minnis (Duh I should have remembered that one, sorry Mark!) I have a good memory, it's just short .

Your -3U is kick-*ss! Great scratch-building work. It'll look awesome in camo.

Jim
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 04:45 AM UTC
Yes the barrel is bent just a bit at the end. I tried to bend it back to shape with hot water but had no luck with it. The gun barrel supports are bent too, I guess the barrel went back to it's orginal shape when I got the kit. Next time I'm going to use brass rod instead of plastic, should keep the barrel from warping again.
Chris
talib
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 08:03 PM UTC
Hi. Great build.
You'd better use miniarm wheels for BTR - they are realy superb

http://armor35.ru/index.php?productID=7370

or this new version
http://armor35.ru/index.php?productID=7490
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hi Chris, I wouldn't worry about the barrel if I were you. It looks fine and i doubt many people would even notice.

Looking forward to seeing some paint on this.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 08:12 AM UTC
Well I just completed the basic painting of the BTR this afternoon. I am very pleased with how things turned out so far. My first attempt, well like just say it was horrible. The results I was trying to achieve did not turn out the way I would have like them too. I was going for the traditional 3 ton scheme used on most Russian vehicles, either I rushed through the painting or what, I just couldn’t get the effect I wanted. I wanted to show a vehicle already in service with newer armor panels installed over already painted vehicle. Instead, it just looked like a big mess.

Therefore, I went back to the drawing board to rethink what I wanted to do.
After some researching the internet and looking through some of my modeling books, I came across a simple two-tone paint scheme used on some of the Kazakhstan vehicles. Therefore, after much needed sleep and some careful planning, I began to retackle the paint job and this time I achieved what I was going for!!!

Basic painting began with a base coat of model master acryl earth red as sort of primer before the next color was added. Next, I used Vallejo model air sand yellow over the base coat allowing some of the paint to show through around the edges some. After that, I went back to using model master acryl radome tan to highlight and fade the paint some to give it more of an aged look. Next up from there is used dark green also from model master to paint the green blotches in. Here I lightly painted the green to allow some of the tan to show through more or less fading the paint for further weathering. Now I just need to seal the paint with some gloss varnish prior to decaling and weathering can begin. Some thoughts and comments would be grateful as to how things are looking so far.
Chris

Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 10:54 AM UTC
Dude what was wrong with the first picture? Looks great to me with the black crows feet markings!

The second example is cool too but the first one was spot on in my opinion... hardly horrible man!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi Christopher. Im not really into modern armor, but some of them stand out more than others ... and this is one of them. Great build ... love all the extra plate armor you added. Killer!!
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 11:30 AM UTC
Really awesome work Chris. I have to say I prefer the second camo, I dont know why but theres something about the 3 tone Russian camo which I just find horribly ugly.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 01:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm very pleased with my second attempt. I defiantly like the lighter two-tone schemes better myself as it's much easier to weather.

Jon I just felt the paint was way too dark on my first go around and not to mention I had some major over spry with the tan color. Besides I still have other russian tanks to paint up and didn't want too many in the three color scheme.
Chris
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 05:05 PM UTC
Well just a very simple update for tonight. I just finished some of the basic weather with my airbrush and now I am ready to start applying some filters and washes later. I went back with some lighter green and touched up the green blotches to fade them more so when the filters are applied the paint will not be so dark and to blend the color more in with the tan. In addition, I did some post shading with some semi-dark brown paint in and around recesses and corners and streaked the paint for a grimier look. After that, everything was sealed up with a semi-gloss sealer and number decals were placed on. Tomorrow I should be able to do some basic detail painting prior to beginning the rest of the weather process so the rest of the parts can be tied in with the paint job.
Chris

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 05:58 AM UTC
Yesterday I just finished applying a serious of different filters to the model to change up the base color some. I also did some very basic detail painting to a couple of parts on the model for when I start to dust everything. In addition, I manage to apply a pin wash to all the nooks and grannies with some mig brown wash and some black oil paint mixed in. The wash is a little bit on the dark side, but will tone down some once I start to mix up my dusty wash to apply. Nevertheless, so far, things are starting to look good; I am also working out a simple base to put the model on along with a single figure to give it some scale.
Chris

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 06:05 AM UTC

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC
Looks very very good. I can't wait to see it done. Sergej and I are looking for someplace to get turned barrels done. Anyone know of a good lathe business?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 07:53 AM UTC
Thanks Jacques, the painting is slow going, but it's turning out pretty good so far. I wish I could help you the lathe business, it would be nice to see some turned metal barrels in the kits and I think people wouldn't mind paying a few more dallors more them that parts. I've been wanting to get a lathe myself since I have other uses for one other than model part, but that will be later down the road.
Chris
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 11:22 AM UTC
Great work Chris, this is really coming along! Nice numbering also, are they decals or stencil?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
Thanks Jon, the numbers are decals from my T-62 kit. Nice thing about soviet block vehicles, very basic markings. I just painted up the wheels this afternoon and just about to break out my airbrush to dust them up some prior to pigments.
Chris
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC
Well I have started to do some weather to the BTR today and would like to get some ideas or comments about the finish so far. I have the wheels completely painted and pigments in place to give it that dusty / muddy look to them. I still need to add some small amount of damp mud to the wheels so everything can be tied in better. In addition, I weathered the bow plane area with some streaked oil paint, chipping, and a wash made up of pigment and buff oil paint. I want the model to be somewhat weathered beaten, but not cake on mud as I do not want to ruin the paint job with a lot of mud. Besides must of the pictures, I have seen of Kazakhstan show it to be a dry, arid, desert climate and seem that the mud would look out of place for vehicle in this region. However, I just want to get some input before I get too far into the build.
Chris

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 03:18 PM UTC
Here is an idea I am screwing around with, it is a diorama base I started for my M1117. It suppose to be a mountain range in Afghanistan, but will also work for Kazakhstan. Not sure if I want to use it or not since the tire ruts do not match up with the BTR, but just something I am looking at for now just to get some ideas as to what to do with the model.
Chris

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 03:24 PM UTC

Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 05:27 AM UTC
Great to see this progress. This is a gift for someone isn't it? If I remember rightly you said at the beginning something about it not being one of your own builds in that respect?

I think the scenic base is awesome, and with a little work it could easily accommodate the BTR. I'm having the dilemma at the moment about what to do with my T-80, and whether I should add crew... argh! To do or not?! I had originally seen my project as a simple vehicle build and NOT a dio/vignette... but its starting to creep that way. Maybe a small simple base...

By the way hows your T-62 going?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hey Jon, my T-62 is still sitting in the same spot it was when I started this project and collecting dust Oh well I will just have to dust off the tank and jump back into the build soon I hope. I just have to finish this build first as it's money waiting to happen since my buddy is paying me to do this build. I'm still debating wether or not to use this base as I'm going to need to get some figures to add to it and I want to keep it simple and the cost down. But other than that I should have this finished soon and worked out what I want to do as far as a base for it goes.
Chris
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 09:50 AM UTC
Ah cool, a commission. Makes sense, I figured it was something like that.

Maybe a small base is better, keeps focus on the vehicle and keeps cost down as you say.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC
Just a simple and quick update for today, I have applied more paint chips to the hull and now about 50% complete with it. I am trying to weather in more logical place and keeping the chips to a minimum as this fairly newer vehicle but still used in a harsh environment. I also applied some basic gear on the rear hull with a spare tire, ammo crate, oil drum, pump, and epoxy putty tarp. Still need to paint and tie all the equipment in place. I have a figure from master club that will be sitting on the front hull to add some life and scale to the model. Hope everyone likes the build so far.
Chris

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 05:44 AM UTC
The steroid BTR is excellent Christopher !
The figure is already looking great. Keep on posting, it's a real pleasure.

Jacques, it would be great if Sergej managed to add turned barrels in his kits. Fingers crossed !

Olivier