_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
US M16 Halftrack Korea
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 - 04:31 AM UTC
I am working on the DML M16 Halftrack. I am going to do a Korean War sample the one shown in the Squadron series books, the halftrack is called Carol Ann. I have two questions for now. First off they give two options for this vehicle when it comes to the rear wall of the drivers compartment and the front of the gun compartment. They give one option of a radio and the other is they give you more ammo containers for the gun. Not sure which one to use as I only have a small drawing of the subject. Second question deals with the PE ring around the base of the gun platform. Does it go in between parts N4 and P21 or does it wrap around N4 and P21? Thirdly how do I mesh the seam together with PE? I have never tried this before?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 - 10:47 AM UTC
James: In actuality, they give you two radio options. Sub-assemblies S and T and the four ammo cans is actually an SC 210 radio. DML depicts it extremely weakly. Unless you wanna replace it (Formations makes one), just go with the larger "U" radio and part N20.

As for the PE bolt strip: this is one of the weakest issues of an otherwise excellent kit. To really use it you should snip about 1mm from above and below the round fixtures -- lopping off the top and bottoms of the circles.

Once thinned out, wrap it around below P21 (not on top of the edge). The lower part of the PE strip should be all that touches N4. Yep. DML messed it up that badly.

As for the seam, just have it meet below where the front armor hides it.

Another big goof is the rear bin, part N3. It's too deep. Cut about 4mm from the back portion of it. DML has it equally as deep as N12. This isn't the case. See here:

For more pics, go here:
http://svsm.org/gallery/m16
 _GOTOTOP