Hosted by Darren Baker
Vacation Builds German subjects
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 - 10:58 PM UTC
Well - I went on vacation to the beach last week and go some plastic glued together in the wee hours of the morning (after a dog walk and before the kids got up).

These are 1/72 scale kits, the Stugg is a Revell kit, the others are Hasegawa. This (and other photos) show I have some clean up to do. There are some seams to scarpe and excess glue to clean up. This type of photo shoot is perfect for that type of thing, in this scale it's hard to see some of these flaws (they show up really well on screen).

Anyway - I'm still building. Next is to clean up and paint.

wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 01:23 AM UTC
Sun, sand and midnight armor. Now THAT"S a vacation.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
Those kits have very nice detail for 1/72 scale kits...even the motorcycle. Nice work...I go to the hobby shops when we are on vacation but I never seem to find the time to actually build....Maybe I'll have to make the time.

Jeff
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 03:10 AM UTC
At this building rate you are wise to stick to a smaller scale or you'll need to increase your residential floor space. So, is 1/144 the next step? I've built the Mercedes and the Kubelwagon/Motorcycle in the past and they are nice kits considering their age.

You are very right about photos being both a blessing and a curse. I take scores of pictures during a build to look for flaws. One fellow in the local club even uses a video camera and monitor combination rather than optical enhancement devices. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Jan
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC
Tell me about the real estate needs. Even in 1/72 scale the space is getting used up.
I love the monitor video idea, never thought of it. Might have to see what I can do. Photo checking is key and I do it a lot.
These kits were quite nice I was pleasantly surprised with the Kuble and BMW. The figures that came with the kits were pretty much junk, deformed arms and strange poses.

On vacation it was literally getup at 5 something, walk the dogs, make coffee, break out a kit that I brought and work for an hour or two till others (not needing to walk the dogs) got out of bed. Go to the beach till happy hour, have a few drinks eat sleep, repeat.
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 03:52 AM UTC
Scott, looks like you had a very productive vacation. :-) Can't wait to see these gems with some paint on them. That six wheel car looks particularly interesting.

Regards,
AJ
 _GOTOTOP