Hosted by Darren Baker
"Name Enough" to relieve Bastogne
snowgoon81
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 - 04:50 PM UTC
Hello all. I've been working away on a new dio where I want to show the 4th Armored on it's way to Bastogne just before Christmas 44. Specifically I'll depict the 53 Armored inf and 37th TB (Abram's tank).

These are two buildings I've made and hope to use. This is my first time making damaged buildings and pretty much first time at scratching in general. I hope I'm not too far off on the architecture of the area!

Let me know your thoughts, I'm willing to rework and modify if need be.

My plan is to have a halftrack pulled off to the side while some GI's round up German POWs and a Sherman rumbles past. Once I get the buildings nailed I'll post some pics of my proposed layout.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hey Chris
I'm really looking forward to how this project progresses.
It is right up my alley and I'm curious to see the layout for sure.
The buildings show some in-depth scratchbuilding! I love th wainscoting and the shell damage. I couldn't give you a thumbs up or down on the accuracy of your buildings, but I'm certain there will be others that can be of help. (@ Claude )
Good luck with it all
Brad
Mech_Inf
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 - 10:31 PM UTC
Impressive scratchbuilding. I'll be watching progress keenly. Keep up the good work, Chris.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 01:32 AM UTC
I really like the second building, very cool. Don't forget details like nails.
I would offer that you make some of the breaks a bit more non-uniform. I realize the wood you used naturally breaks that way. In 1:1 scale boards that size would have a bit more randomness and longer snags. The breaks now look a bit the 'same', each very uniform and straight. Just break up the edges a bit and I think it would look a bit more natural. You can test some of it on scrap pieces not on the building before digging to a completed kit.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but I'm certain there will be others that can be of help. (@ Claude )
Good luck with it all
Brad

Hi Bradley

The first thing i thought when i saw the complete roof work was that Chris either bought my book or followed my threads very well.
There are of course a lot of architecture guys here with superbe builds, but seldom does one see the roof work presented like this. The same as i do and show them here

for example

Well, i have some serious contender here

Very well done Chris, there is not much to say except that you did a superb first job.

One thing you may change is the middle wall (pic 5) where the joists from the attic floor are lying on top of the wall instead of lying in the wall.

If that explanation was not clear, please tell me, i am going to try it otherwise.

Cheers

Claude
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 09:34 PM UTC
Hi
I like what you have done so far. will be watching this one progress.
Well done.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing you may change is the middle wall (pic 5) where the joists from the attic floor are lying on top of the wall instead of lying in the wall.

Hi Claude. I wouldn´t go as fars as saying this is a definate rule. I´ve seen this done in older houses, and when the inner ceiling is in place, its not visible anymore. Maybe if there is an upper floor using the same supporting walls, it would have to built into the wall, but if it was an open attic space above, and being insulated, it might actually be like this. In fact modern houses don´t have this at all ... as the joists come pre-made and are set on top. Im not an architect, and not arguing the point, I just dont think its a 100% rule.

Hi Chris. Love what you´ve done so far. The buildings have a nice and natural feel to them. I like the texture on the white wash. You often see that on old rural houses in Ireland where they make the white wash from thick lime. Id suggest adding some sort of strip to the open edges, to hide the posterboard/cork detail. Gives a more professional appearance.

roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi Frank,

I'm also not architect, so i will not argue with you as you are certainly correct.
Let's just say that i am deciding very often on what i like visually, so my choice would be " in the wall".
It would also leave no space for questions.

I have another question for Chris:

What does your title mean "Name enough" ?? Hopefully this is not a reversed bad translation.

Claude
snowgoon81
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 05:34 PM UTC
Thanks for the great reply's everyone. Obviously still a lot of work to be done, but you have given me the extra energy to keep pushing on!

Scott - I went back through and gave a bunch of the boards a more "splintered" look. I've found it's always good to have fresh eyes take a look at your work to fine-tune stuff.

Claude - You certainly are correct, I got my inspiration from your earlier posts! I didn't want two similar looking houses and you provided a great way to mix it up.

As for the joists and wall, honestly I hadn't thought about it, they just got built that way. As for "name enough", that's the nickname of the 4th Armored Division which will be depicted.

Chris
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 07:36 PM UTC
Yo Chris,

What a great scractwork...and that as your first time...very natural buildings. How did you fix the floor on the two stage building?

Keep up...I'am hooked up.

Greetz Nico

snowgoon81
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hey, a quick update. Not as far as I had hoped but I did get the buildings painted.

I'm a little bit at a loss for furniture and other "interior details" at the moment. Any suggestions? Any good kits out there to furnish a house/building?

Also got started on the vehicles. They're assembled and ready for paint. Dragon kits with respective eduard PE.

the halftrack is broken down to facilitate painting.

I'll try to post some progress by the end of the week. Then it's off to Glacier NP for a week of backpacking and then school will resume shortly! (I'm working towards my masters in Mechanical Engineering)
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 11:25 AM UTC
Chris, tremendous amount of detail in this. Looks good. Only thing fooling my eyes is the interior wall in the 2 story building. I would have expected a 'lathe and plaster' wall system in this age of building. I can't tell from the hole in the wall if you're showing broken laths or broken studs.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 11:44 AM UTC
Will the primary viewing point focus on internal ? If not, the interior detail won't draw as much attention.
Scratch building basic chairs and tables and internal cupboards is easy with some small bits and pieces of wood.
I would suggest checking out OD features of dioramas with buildings you get a good idea of furniture and 'things' in a house.
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 01:49 PM UTC
Lookig good so far. For furnature Verlinden, Plus Models make some you could use. Looking foward to your update.
Tom
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 07:37 PM UTC
Yo Chris,

Nice work on the buildings. The roof looks exellent.

Keep up!

Greetz Nico
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 09:01 PM UTC
Great work so far Chris. Nice to see a halftrack as well!

Following with interest...

Cheers!
Stefan
stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 02:44 AM UTC
hi guys that diorama looks pretty good. I have an idea like this one but i don't know the materials or how to construct one like it, so could someone please help me out? thanks
snowgoon81
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi guys that diorama looks pretty good. I have an idea like this one but i don't know the materials or how to construct one like it, so could someone please help me out? thanks

The two builds which have inspired me on this forum have been the "Osweiler dio" and the various Clervaux posts.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/143043&page=1
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/150876&page=1
Both offer great tips and techniques. I use 1/4" foam board for my buildings, cork strip for stone, spackling for plaster, and various sizes of balsa/bass wood and styrene strips. I'v seen some others use plaster pieces they then carve!

A quick update, got the first couple layers of paint on the vehicles. Done with rattle can and model master acryls if anyone is wondering

stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 04:37 AM UTC
thanks chris for helping me with that, i'll hve to get all those materials then. thanks
 _GOTOTOP