_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Still no reviews of the Trumpeter BMP-3?
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 08:17 AM UTC
The kit seems to be available on eBay and some online retailers. Anyone managed to get their hands on one, and are there any reviews?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 08:44 AM UTC
No such luck. I did some browsing to see what I could find, but there is zilch, save fore the reviews of the SKIF kit. I would think that based on Trumpeter's ever-improving reputation you will probably be happy with this kit.

If you're up to it, why don't you be the first to write up a review?
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
Having built the Skif BMP-3 kit years ago, I can definitely confirm you will be better off waiting on the Trumpy kit!

The skif kit is total crap!
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would think that based on Trumpeter's ever-improving reputation you will probably be happy with this kit.

I'll be happy if the kit is an accurate rendition of the BMP-3.

-YL
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 09:51 AM UTC
I hear ya, I've been waiting for an accurate BMP-1 or 2 for quite some time. But I think there is a lot more interest in the BMP-3, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 07:03 AM UTC
From the german VRV:

Lead elements of the Red Army have been observed near Delmenhorst in the form of BMP-3 equiped scout units

"Modellbau-König" has the Trumpeter BMP-3 listed as "availabel", price 25€, delivery within the EU.
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
Well just don't stand there!! Light 'em up!!

Nothing burns as sweetly as a BMP in the moonlight! No offense to any of our brethren from the former Warsaw Pact!

zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 02:33 AM UTC
Found this one recently:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/tru/kit_tru_0364.shtml
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
What do you want to know? It's a nice kit of the BMP3. It's labeled as an early version, but has all the parts in it to do the later production BMP3 also. As with most Cybermodeler reviews, the reviewer has little or no knowledge of the real vehicle. Run this site through a translator and you'll get a good idea of the kit.

http://www.panzer35.ru/forum/45-2852-1

GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 10:42 PM UTC
Well, I suppose it's about time to tell you all about "Where Armorama Reviews Come From". Every once in a while, there is a knock on the door to the Armorama Staff Bunker. The door is opened to reveal Mr.Stork (the UPS guy) with a brand new baby kit in his arms. (Well, sometimes the kit has a beard and tattoos but there IS a new decal sheet and maybe some photo-etch). The Armorama staff then searches high and low through the ranks of past contributors to find just the Perfect One to write an in-box review, hopefully followed by a build review. One thing to keep in mind is that even though the kit came to Armorama for free, it costs money to ship it to the reviewer. Armorama gets a lot of stuff and the shipping costs mount up so these days the reviewer should be willing to pay for the shipping.

But what about those kits that don't show up at Armorama's doorstep? For those we rely on someone on Armorama, past contributor or not, to buy a kit and write up a review. If no one is willing to do that, then there will be no review on that kit (or book, or figure, or whatever). Tired of seeing reviews on every dang thing the Germans made (or thought about making) during WW2? Write a review! Don't think you can write? Submit something and let the Armorama Review Editors take a look at it and get their feedback!

On a personal note, this is what happened to me. There were kit reviews but I felt books were neglected. I had just bought Desert Eagle's Magach 6B Gal book and felt it was too good not to let others know about it. Then I started a series of reviews on the newer editions of Panzer Tracts (yea, I know, WW2 German stuff) as a lot of people didn't seem to know they existed.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 04:16 AM UTC
Super quick exclusive review by me.

I was able to see and hold the kit for about 2 days before I sent it off to Sergej to be looked over for conversions. I SAY that it is a fabulous new kit, it is far better than the SKIF kit, and WITHOUT MEASUREMENTS other than with the MK1 Eyeball, it looks to be accurate. It has both the early BMP-3 and late BMP-3 parts, although only the early parts are called out in the instructions.

I do not know how complete the interior is, and I suspect that shortcuts have been taken here, but it is impressive.

This kit will build up VERY nicely OOB, and is a really good base for scratchbuild/conversions using the common chassis.

It is well worth the price tag.

If nothing else, I will do a complete review and build once I get my own copy, hopefully within the month. I actually plan to buy more than 2 of this kit, so there is an endorsement right there.
Lonewolf7usa
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 12:44 PM UTC
Picked up the Trumpeter BMP-3 Kit from ebay for a song and let me tell you that it is amazing just to look at the trees and the instructions. This bad boy was definitely worth waiting for. As to the LHS having them Don't know for sure??
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
Here's a in the works post by Tomas Johansson from the IPMS Stockholm forum. Looks like a nice build of a nice kit.

Cheers,
/E
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I suppose it's about time to tell you all about "Where Armorama Reviews Come From". Every once in a while, there is a knock on the door to the Armorama Staff Bunker. The door is opened to reveal Mr.Stork (the UPS guy) with a brand new baby kit in his arms. (Well, sometimes the kit has a beard and tattoos but there IS a new decal sheet and maybe some photo-etch). The Armorama staff then searches high and low through the ranks of past contributors to find just the Perfect One to write an in-box review, hopefully followed by a build review. One thing to keep in mind is that even though the kit came to Armorama for free, it costs money to ship it to the reviewer. Armorama gets a lot of stuff and the shipping costs mount up so these days the reviewer should be willing to pay for the shipping.

But what about those kits that don't show up at Armorama's doorstep? For those we rely on someone on Armorama, past contributor or not, to buy a kit and write up a review. If no one is willing to do that, then there will be no review on that kit (or book, or figure, or whatever). Tired of seeing reviews on every dang thing the Germans made (or thought about making) during WW2? Write a review! Don't think you can write? Submit something and let the Armorama Review Editors take a look at it and get their feedback!

On a personal note, this is what happened to me. There were kit reviews but I felt books were neglected. I had just bought Desert Eagle's Magach 6B Gal book and felt it was too good not to let others know about it. Then I started a series of reviews on the newer editions of Panzer Tracts (yea, I know, WW2 German stuff) as a lot of people didn't seem to know they existed.

I wondered about this. Sometime in the future when I have some more experience and knowledge under my belt I will be more than happy to grab some new kits/books or anything else useful and review/build them as a way of contributing back to this site.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If nothing else, I will do a complete review and build once I get my own copy, hopefully within the month.

In that case we may end up with two reviews, as I think I have one on the way from Kitmaker Central.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 02:34 AM UTC
Great Models Web store has a new review up now
Teaker11
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 11:08 AM UTC
I got mine in the mail today. kinda disapointing no metal barrell ,nice interior, no engine.
fantacmet
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 - 07:29 PM UTC
I've got most of the interior done on mine, minus the seats for the front. At first look it appears to be rather sparse, but once together and painted the interior looks really nice. I've read some pre-reviews that talk about ambiguous location for the interior panels, but in reality with the exception of the post at the rear that needs to be trimed quite a bit, it all fits perfectly. Though I have yet to glue them together, test fitting of the upper and lower hulsl reveal a pretty much flawless fit.

I plan to paint the interior of the upper hull this weekend, and either do some pin washes in there, or hit it with some Tamiya weathering master and some pigments. Maybe all of the above. More likely the pin wash will be done with the pigments.

Sorry about no pics as of yet, but I'll try and get some this weekend, as I'd like to post it as a full review and would like some in progress shots. Doing the preshading this time around, I have yet to try it, so far it looks great. I have yet to figure out which hatches I'm gonna pose open.

Due to my work schedule mandatory overtime, 65 mile per day round trip, and having a family including 2 kids and a dog, weekends are the only time I can get any work done on it. So itmight be awhile before it gets done. I tend to get bogged down when it's time to assemble tracks. I think I'm going to pin the tracks on this one to make them functional. So it will be easier to get them on the model.
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
Armorama: 392 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 12:11 AM UTC
I did quite a detailed build of the kit here any use?

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/165501&page=1
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 04:24 AM UTC
The Dec issue of Finescale Modeler magazine has the review. Mostly favorable.
-Sean
VSRF789
Visit this Community
Samara, Russia
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 09:31 PM UTC
Here is my bulding blog: http://www.karopka.ru/forum/forum188/topic5461/?PAGEN_1=1
And finishd model: http://www.karopka.ru/community/user/7912/?MODEL=175040
I've made middle version of BMP-3, based on that photos: http://otvaga2004.narod.ru/publ_w7_2010/0005_bmp.htm
In my model there is only antennas from MP. There is no afthermarket!
Sorry that i put it here.... Have a nice wath!
ps. Sorry for my English))
 _GOTOTOP