_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Trumpeter BMP-3 Early build blog
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
Armorama: 392 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 12:29 AM UTC

I was very pleased to see this kit released by Trumpeter this year. But quite surprised this has not been a star subject on build forums !

This is progress so far Parts 1-3 of the instructions. No problems at all. A bit of a tight fit with the drive sprockets but otherwise fine.

the attach points for the sprues on the road wheels, unfortunately mean that you end up sanding off some of the detail of the wheel mould pattern.

Lots of work is required for the independant track links with seperate guide horms.

This kit includes an interior albeit a rudimentary and crude interior ! In any case it is good of Trumpeter to add this detail and serves as a base for super detailing if that’s your bag. If you look at the rear section of the hull this is the troop compartment entry/exit point. It is a sort of tunnel between the fuel tanks and over the transmission. The fit of these parts is terrible! I advise anyone building this kit to dry fit the entire area prior to assembly. The main problem is a pin that the “tunnel” floor is supported with, it is too long and causes a clash with alignment to the rear bulkhead. Solution was rather simple snap off the pin and glue the tunnel section by section using something like Ambrose pro-weld.

As you can see I have left one of the troop entry steps in the down position to add a bit of interest. It is interesting to think how troops “debus” from a BMP-3 do they crawl through the tunnel on their hands and knees? I can only think that the upper hatches are opened during entry and exit? I did see the troops in Moscow sat upright in this area with the upper hatches open as the BMP-3`s rushed past. I plan to leave one of the doors open or ajar as I do on most AFV builds.
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 12:38 AM UTC
it took 3 nights x 2 hours to do this think. 2 nights constructing the tracks and 1 night fitting the tracks to running gear. But really worth it ! It looks the part, 84 no links per side as the instructions. But still a very tight fit.

Some detail also on the interior of the upper hull.

details added to upper hull exterior, note bow mounted machine guns, I had to bore them out with a pin vice

work on the turret - which contains quite a few details.

It is a breakthrough having a front line modern Russian AFV available in a high quality plastic kit - credit to Trumpeter for having the foresight to make this kit

turret assembly

looks very much "the part"

the sub assemblies prior to painting of the interior

markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 12:46 AM UTC
The interior was primed and then base coated in Gloss White.

Initial weathering with light wash and some metal chips

More weathering and the seats in position

weathering of the turret complete - note the 3 large shells - these are actually at-10 "stabber" laser beam riding ATGM. The paint scheme on them a pure work of fiction - and I cant even find a picture of the at-10`s modified for the BMP-3 low pressure cannon designated as 3UBK12.

metal special effects applied to the turret ring

afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 12:51 AM UTC
Really nice work so far Mark! looks like a good clean build and your interior painting is very nice. I had always expected this kit to be pretty rubbish (trumpeters strykers are pretty rough) but this looks really good and the detail looks fantastic.
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 12:56 AM UTC
top hull joined to bottom hull using the Ambrose pro-weld - this has the same consistency as water and flows into the seams creating a very strong bond

a hiccup here with the fit of that rear bulkhead clashing with the "tunnel". I did try a dry fit but obviously some issues here but not so serious. a bit of clamping and brute force should sort it.

prepare for paint - I used Mr Surfacer to eliminate the very small gaps on the model. This kit went together very well --- except for the front fenders! I had to rip them off to get them fitted in alignment with the hull and side plates. My advise is to fit these parts last.

Decided not to use the supplied kit parts for the un-ditching log. It was just so crude. So instead replaced with the empty straps made from styrene

this is very strange ! the box aer shows the BMP-3 with these brush guards fitted. The instructions do not refer to them ? BUT more oddly on the sprues you do have the parts to make them. So in any case I have fitted them. Maybe not intended for this varient?

Painting of the model using Mr Color paints, freehand camo. The colours are all have the centers shaded with a lighter colour. The contrast is actually not as harsh as the photos depict ? But the camera never lies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/gravelexpress/BMP-3%20early/october05_01.jpg

markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 01:04 AM UTC
I also painted up some crew - figures from Evolution miniatures and Tank

The decals are applied.

chipped paint very constrained on this build - limited to the entry steps and grab handles.

this is the extent of the weathering Part 1 - upper hull. Like I said old skool. I still very much admire the work of Francois Verlinden and Tony Greenland. So a light wash using MiG Brown wash building a dark stain in the recessed detail. Then drybrushing using 3 passes of gradually lighter paints. I dont expect this unrealistic technique to be popular nowadays. But I quite like this style.

one of those strange things about this kit - gunners hatch on right (detailed) and commanders on left (ejector marks and no detail) ? So I shall scratch some of the periscopes and handle.

as a contrast -- Stage 2 weathering shall be the running gear but I shall be using the techniques more in trend today. more soon

cheers Mark

comment and input welcome.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Very good job on build, I have one on the shelf waiting. My dispointment was they went to all the trouble of makeing an interior, and left the engine out
Great job.
Jim
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 02:05 AM UTC
HI

I like the weathering, subtle yet there without being overdone. Much more realistic than most finishes these days.

I just may pick one up.

Tom
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 04:47 AM UTC
Excellent build with some great info for people wanting to have a crack at this themselves.
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
Great work. The kit looks very good. Will you drill out the front MG barrels?
MINIARM
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 09:43 AM UTC
Wheels it diameter is more on 1мм
Drive sprockets at Trumpa of 12 teeth should be 13
From it not correct tracks set...

best regards,
Igor
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 11:58 AM UTC
Big thank you for all comments and interest.

Dmitry privet ! I had drilled out the bow guns I just dont think it shows in the photo.

Igor this is perfect kit to issue some upgrade parts for. I am interested in reviews of this BMP-3. It is very much modern Russian front line armour but I have not read anything about how accurate or otherwise the kit is?

I am certain it could be improved in many aspects. Of interest to me is why the instructions did not indicate to fit the brush guards for the bow mg's?

I have scratched some hatch detail all from imagination unforunately. I will get some pictures up soon.

thanks again
Mark
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 02:24 PM UTC
I see now Mark. I must be getting blind. that is why my BMP-3 is still in its box...
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 04:48 PM UTC
Wow...

So useful and so cool

Thanks a milion
MINIARM
Visit this Community
Russia
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I see now Mark. I must be getting blind. that is why my BMP-3 is still in its box...

MINIARM
Visit this Community
Russia
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Now that is what I want !! Is it available now? I will be in Moscow in 3 weeks
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 01:51 PM UTC
Awesome - can't wait to see those!
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:44 PM UTC
small update work on the hatch - unfortuntely it is from fantasy as I had no references.

work on a base in progress

TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

small update work on the hatch - unfortuntely it is from fantasy as I had no references.

TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 04:47 AM UTC
I guess you would be needing the inside not the out side.

Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the build-log!
How about the interior and the details?

greetings...
Soeren
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 09:07 AM UTC
Tony - I really wish I had asked for photos before I built
but I will live with it.

Soeren - the interior is all there just look up the page a bit.

and just some photos of the sit of th model on the diorama base. I spent tonight spraying dilute earth and buff on the running gear in preperation for painting.

the diorama will have a cool little twist - but you have to wait for that

any feedback, suggestions and comments are again most welcome

thanks Mark
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Soeren - the interior is all there just look up the page a bit.
and just some photos of the sit of th model on the diorama base.

Yes, you´re right... sorry for my stupid question.

At that moment, I just saw only a few images, while the others were not visible.
Later I saw them and wanted to delete my post, but this was not possible.
Good work!
Also your dio looks good so far!

greetings...
Soeren
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 11:05 AM UTC
Soeren thanks -

just some more work first figure - besides pigments Im calling him finished

more work on terrain - so close to finish but final details will take some more time

will try to finish soon

need help for final part of diorama - ref pictures - Russian border signs with Georgia
 _GOTOTOP