Hosted by Darren Baker
Form-U -Lay buildings
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC
These are plaster casts from Form-U-Lay vac form styrene moulds. I can't find the pics of the moulds them selves but will take new ones tomorrow.
Alanmac put me on to these in a thread about Miniart vacform buildings a few months ago. You could use the Form-U-Lay moulds in the same way as miniart but you only get one side of the building and the detail is quite soft.

The moulds themselves need a bit of work and even then the detail of the casts is soft in places but they do clean up well. they were cheap enough :FL93 Bank/City Building £4.50 and FL03 1:35 Cobbled main road with tramlines, pavement & optional pavement grills £4.00.
I would recommend them to anyone witha bit of casting experience and you could probably make your initial investment back by flogging a few casts at your local club
stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 09:58 PM UTC
hi pat, i know the street is 1/35 but what scale is the building?
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 12:40 AM UTC
Stan it's 1/35 here it is with a masterbox figure for scale purposes

There's also space in the mould for the porch lintel and a step

There's a fair amount of wear and tear on these moulds and they definitely don't stand up to rough treament as well as silicone moulds. I would also recommend using a good release agent.

You can see where I have added plastic card to the bottom of the mould to stop the plaster running out. You also have to shore up the mould carefully to get an even pour. I cut the mould in two pieces to make it easier.

I haven't tried casting the grills in anything other than plaster and I don't know how they would hold up to resin.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 12:46 AM UTC
that's a pretty interesting set of molds. The shallow detail pieces will proove to be a challenge to get out in good shape.
The building looks pretty good, at least a good start.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

that's a pretty interesting set of molds. The shallow detail pieces will proove to be a challenge to get out in good shape.
The building looks pretty good, at least a good start.

If you use a good quality plaster and release agent and wait til you're sure it has set fully then it shouldn't be a problem. The casts will be good but the more you cast the more likelyhood of damage to the mould. For the price I think it's a good deal

You can have a lot of fun cutting up and joining bits together. If I wanted I could add on a few more storeys.

If I made the gap in this a bit bigger I could put a Brummbar poking out like the old Shep paine dio.

I can get a 25 kilo bag of plaster for 13€ (US$17) which would fill these moulds 100 times over. Imagine what you'd pay for a building this size from Verlinden or Mk35.

BTW I'm not on commission from Form U Lay
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
I never realized they were still in business.
Thought they were long gone, nice to see them still operating.
cplmarr
Visit this Community
Qatar
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 10:12 PM UTC
The Formulay moulds are available through Jeff Green's home-run business. I think they are excellent for the price and am glad I stocked up on the range a few years back. well worth the effort when you consider how much the alternatives cost.
 _GOTOTOP