_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Operation Stalemate
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC
Well I definitely have a ton of choices of Operations to do a campaign on. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Cartwheel was well over a year and covered 13 purposed operations, 3 were dropped but 10 were completed. Just a bit too wide of a coverage. I thought about the OBOE operations but there is a “Land Down Under” campaign running and I didn’t want to step on any toes. So I basically wanted a campaign that was about 6 months in duration so I am now purposing the Stalemate Operation. Since I cannot edit this I have to put everything on the first page in case this one gets going.

I also kept all the requirements mainly because this is a reference/mission campaign and I would really like everyone to get together and help each other out in researching and construction. Nothing is written in stone and if your honest with me we can work things out.

Operation STALEMATE

Operational Overview;

Utilizing references concerning the battle of the PALAU Islands select any of the Land, Air or Sea vehicles used by either the Axis or Allied forces and construct a model to properly show that vehicle, or a fact based representation of a specific item, as it would be seen during the time frame and location assigned.

Scale is 200mm To 1:6

This is a reference based Campaign proposal strictly concerning the Palau Islands; all requirements will be enforced.

The main idea is to promote the hobby and develop researching tools and abilities to properly represent a model as it existed during the Stalemate Operation. And enjoy the time doing it.

Model construction is from the 10th of May to the 27th of November 2011. Reference research and documentation is now to 27 November 2011, which is over 8 months before construction can even begin and over 6 months in duration

The Rules and Regs;

1. All must complete 2 separate and individual posts in the Official Campaign thread displaying at least 2 photos of in work progress on model construction between the established construction dates.
2. All must post in the Official Campaign thread 2 different views of the finished construction in the Campaign and place those photos in the Campaign Gallery prior to 28 November 2011.
3. NO prior made models or construction of models before 10 May 2011 will be allowed. Additionally no model will be excepted if it appears in another Campaign running in the same time frame.
4. All must post the exact reference used to identify the model they are constructing.
References allowed but not restricted to Historical accounts of the battles, verified photos of the item in question and how it was identified. This must be in your own post and not just pointed at someone else’s post. If using a Historical account you will also be required to post the page it appears on.
5. Every attempt must be made to properly show the model, or a fact based representation of a specific item, as it would be seen during the Campaign and during the time frame assigned. Basically everyone will need to find out all they can about their vehicle and what it looked like during Operation Flintlock, before they can actually begin working on it. Drastic errors in the actual representation may disqualify your vehicle from acceptance for the Campaign.

There are numerous possibilities for vehicles and figures that can be constructed for this Campaign. For figures scale 1/35 or smaller they are required to be placed as a vignette. Vignette: short, impressionistic scenes that focus on one moment or give a particular insight into a character, idea, or setting. Or if you prefer, a small Diorama.

If you have a model you want to do and need to find a reference or even if you need to know if it was used during the Campaign please ask.

A map of the Palau Islands that are covered under the Campaign:
Palaus

An excellent place to start your research;
Hyperwar

And a highly recommended reading for this Campaign;
USMC Palaus

Specifics of the Campaign;

Operation STALEMATE was formally launched on 10 May when Admiral Nimitz issued the Joint Staff Study for the Palau Operation.

On the morning of the 27th of November at 1100 Colonel Watson Commander of RCT 323 reported to General Mueller that organized resistance on Peleliu had come to an end.

These dates are the timeline for Model construction.

Banner for the Campaign;

Contest Element;

Ribbon awarded for proper completion of all Campaign elements.
(Shown twice the actual size)

The idea is to learn and have fun modeling. I am more then happy to help with any questions or to help direct anyone in their research. As I am sure that there will be plenty of others helping to do the same. I will do my best not to come directly out and give you everything you need to know about the model you are planning to construct, first I might be wrong and secondly it wouldn’t help you in learning the reference task.

The main purpose of this Campaign is to do the research, you have to know why it was marked the way it was, how many were there, what it was doing to get that damage or weathering. Mainly the idea is to get the closest possible model to the way they actually looked. Over 8 months to look up the needed references. So 7 months to do the actual construction is plenty. Out of the Box will be fine until you get to the markings, it must match the markings generally found during the battle. Interpretations are also fine but must be supported by documentation or references.

Due to the editing restrictions, on each one of my posts (or at least once a page in the Official Campaign Thread) I will have a running list of everyone enlisted in the campaign, with their status, model identified to be constructed and a check for each item required for the campaign.

Example;
Bob Card, Callsign: BobCard, Model: (M4A2), Reference Identified (This will be A link back to the post where this occurred or at least that page of the thread), Post Count (Min 3), In work photo count (Min 2), 2 photos posted in Gallery (Y/N).

When each of these are accomplished then and only then will you be officially announced as completed.

I know this is a bit different then how a majority of the Campaigns are run. The completion rate for Campaigns is generally low, and this will be no exception, but if it helps your ability to do research, or scratch building, or just to get to know others interested in the same thing it served its purpose. I planned the Campaign in such a way so that everyone must participate to successfully complete the campaign. I know it’s a silly thing to require, but I believe that the members that do participate are cheated by someone just throwing their model in for the ribbon.

I cannot submit this for Campaign status until 10 individuals commit to the campaign first.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this and I look forward to a great campaign.

If you have a question or wish to clarify or suggest an alteration to the campaign let me know.
Bob
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi Bob,

Yeah this time frame works much better. I already committed myself to 9 campaigns that start in 2011 but none that start in May
I'll get cracken on some research
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hello Bob,
I am in. I still have that SBD i was going to use for your Pacific campaign.
Or Maybe a Fletcher Class DD.
Cheers,
Bruce
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 12:12 PM UTC
Hi Sal, You are going to be one busy fella, Thanks for coming aboard.

Bruch welcome aboard and if you are taking suggestions I would like to see that Fletcher. Being an old Tin Can Sailor myself I would enjoy seeing one.

I noticed that the Banner is having problems;
This one should work and if anyone wantss to set it early the url is;

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/343848

Thanks Guys,
Bob

I am also considering a contest element since this is a reference campaign and not just a see what I did kind of thing. Of course the prizes will be references, books or special items concerning this campaign. Let me know what you guys think.
grayghost666
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 05:11 PM UTC
Hello Bob,
If you want to add a contest element for referernces or any other I think it is up to you. You might get more modelers to join.
I need for you to count me out for the references contest as I have 45+ climate controled storage units (75' by 75') full of said items with about 250,000+ books, pamplets, unit histories, ship movement maps, ETC.
I am going to a small book store out east to buy his collection of Marine Corp books, letters and about 20 file cabinets full of after action reports, Troop strength, finished but not published memoirs, ETC from WW1 to Vietnam. So I would have more then your normal modeler.
Now what to do with all of my books and other items when I die along with my stash of 250+ models all In a controled storgae unit.
This is going to be a good campaign as usually.
Cheers,
Bruce
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 02:11 AM UTC
Hey Bruce did I mention I was available for adoption?

Now that is one expansive set of reference material and yes you have a lot more than any of us normal modelers. I’m just one of those people with enough info to be dangerous.

For the contest I was just thinking in the lines of everyone voting at the end for their idea of “Best for the Campaign” and sending one of my used reference books. Like my Hunnicutt Sherman 2nd edition, that Armorama awarded me for a past Feature contest.

Nice collection and I hope you might get a chance to publish something out of it, or maybe donate to a museum or library someday.

Thanks again and remember I really don’t eat much………
Bob
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 03:40 PM UTC
Hello Bob,
Everything goes for the dogs upkeep except for the books and models when I go.
I wonder how much it will cost to send it fla.
As for the food, I have at the "old homestead" enought food for 4-5 years with my own power/water/sewage system. no money out of my pocket for anything like that.
I am working, Very Slowly, of a on Library building about 20 feet from my house. I figure I need about 35,000 thousand feet and 2 floors all climate controled. Good thing I own about 2000 acres of land give or take.
I am going towards Va this weekend to buy the stuff then to upstate NY for another buy about 500 books.
Be back Late Monday/Early Tuesday.
Cheers,
Bruce
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 12:30 PM UTC
I'm in and already researching. I was really hoping Dragon would have released their announced set of Marines by now. Maybe a late M4A2, or another M4 composite hull from Anguar. Lots of decisions.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 08:29 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Russ, one of the nice things is all the choices that are possible. I was also going to suggest something where you can use that Jap truck, let me know if your interested.

Paul welcome aboard also, I'll look up those B-6 items and let you know.

Lets see if we can talk Bruce into an after Campaign party at his place.

Thanks guys,
Bob
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 09:18 PM UTC
Hi Bob !

This will be a great Campaign

But now I'm now officially confused

LVT -A1 "Bloody Trail" ?

OR

LVT -A4 "B6" ?

More deliberation required & just as I've purchased the LVT-A4 AM Update from Verlinden

That LVT-A1 looks nice

Cheers

Paul

I can't wait for this one to get started
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 02:02 AM UTC
Paul,
Welcome and personally I would suggest the LVT (A) 4. You would not beleive the number of "The Bloody Trail" models I've seen.
Let me know which it is,

Thanks Guys but this is looking like it is not going to take off, you just never know.

Bob
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 03:33 AM UTC
Bob, I thought of the truck when I saw the first campaign, but I built it as part of the review. A tankette, though . . .

Does anyone make a simple conversion for the flame throwing LVT-4? Dragon's M4A2 late PTO comes with incomplete markings for three tanks from Peleliu. The full markings are available from HardCorps Models (the site also has some nice photos). Academy's M4A2 needs cheek armor and fixed weld seams, but includes basic wading trunks. M4 composites on Anguar had the 3 bar steel cleat tracks. Where to begin? Got to keep studying.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
Welcome and personally I would suggest the LVT (A) 4. You would not beleive the number of "The Bloody Trail" models I've seen.
Let me know which it is,

Thanks Guys but this is looking like it is not going to take off, you just never know.

Bob

Ok Bob, the LVT-A4 it is

I think you should submit the Campaign Bob, we'll be right !!

7 starters from what I gather, but you'll get a few more
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 09:43 AM UTC
Russ,
OK on the truck but I think I may have to buy one for the diorama I have in mind. Also this is one of the great things about this Operation; there are plenty of markings available to make a really great representation of one of the vehicles.

Paul,
Now you do have a tough choice, which LVT (A) 4……. If you get in a bind on finding info I think I have an LVT loss report somewhere and there are always the photos and Russ pointed out Hard Corps Models, a very good site for some research.

Thanks for the vote of support by the way,
Bob

Russ Look what I just found;
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone make a simple conversion for the flame throwing LVT-4?

Sorry Russ I missed that part. No one makes a conversion for it. You basically have to do a scratch build of the flame thrower and place it in the LVT 4. I do have some reference for it if your interested.
Bob
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 12:42 AM UTC
I am researching some aircraft from the aircraft carrier groups that supported the invasion of Kwajalein.

I am in, but do not know with what yet.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 01:32 AM UTC
Hello Jesper,
Welcome aboard, plenty of time to pick something, no requirements on that, I am also stuck for a couple of reasons.
Bob
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 01:59 AM UTC
Thanks, Bob. A little by the stroke of luck I actually found a real beauty for this campaign.

While researching the different carriers and squadrons embarked on the carriers I came across the first F6F Hellcat ace of WWII, Lt. McWhorter. He participated in the attack on Kwajalein island as part of the close support campaign and also shot down two Japanese aircraft during this short air campaign.

The Eduard Royal Class 1/48 Hellcat set includes McWhorter's F6F-3 Hellcat kit and markings for November 1944. This will be my entry for the campaign.

Reference can been seen at this link and the two pictures below.

http://www.acepilots.com/usn_mcwhorter.html

ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi Bob,
I just completed a deal for Dragons #6462 USMC M4A2. The review I read said it come with markings for Co. C, 1st Tank Battalion, USMC, Peleliu 1944. I still need to do more research but if this campaign kicks off this will most likely be my entry.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 07:08 PM UTC
I like the thought of this campaign, not sure if I'd be able to pull it off though. I may start researching and see if I can come up with something feasible for myself. I'll need to focus on a relatively quick build without too much in the way of alterations.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 11:00 AM UTC
Jesper,
I am looking forward to seeing this one completed, nice reference and great story. Always liked those Hellcat's

Sal, Excellent choice. Lots of reference out there for them.

Jeremy, Thanks for the interest. I'm sure there are plenty of choices, SPG can be almost right OOB. Same with M4A2's with a bit of small add on's. Welcome aboard.

Still looking for 3 more for the required 10...
Thanks guys,
Bob
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper,
I am looking forward to seeing this one completed, nice reference and great story. Always liked those Hellcat's

Sal, Excellent choice. Lots of reference out there for them.

Jeremy, Thanks for the interest. I'm sure there are plenty of choices, SPG can be almost right OOB. Same with M4A2's with a bit of small add on's. Welcome aboard.

Still looking for 3 more for the required 10...
Thanks guys,
Bob

Three more required !

C'mon guys ! Bob runs the best Campaigns here

Join up, join up !!

Cheers

Paul
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 11:43 AM UTC
I've been reading through the monograph on the battle. A basic list for those wondering what to build includes the following.

75mm pack howitzer
M2A1 105mm howitzer
M1 155mm howitzer
M3 and M3A1 halftrack
M3 75mm GMC
Pretty much the entire LVT series
M4A2 late
M4 composite hull
M10 (mentioned as participating at the Umbrogol pocket on 10/25)
Jeep
WC 51/52
DUKW
2 1/2 ton truck

F4U-1
F6F-3
TBM-1
Army 13th Airforce
B-17
B-24
B-25
A-20
I thought the P-47 was also present but can't find the reference.

For the Japanese, the type 95 tankette, and probably the type 94 truck, as well as various aircraft.

I haven't even started with the Allied naval forces in the area, but 8 battleships, 16 carriers and 22 light and escort carriers are mentioned, plus cruisers, destroyers and submarines and numerous other support and assault ships.

The list should be enough to get most modelers interested. Good references will take some time to find, but are out there.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 04:31 PM UTC
Bob: Thanks, I'll look into things a little better when I get a chance.

Russ: Nice list, thanks for putting it together. I think I have the Type 95 tankette in my stash back home. It'll be a little over a week before I get back, but I'll check out what marking options it has and let you guys know what I find out.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 04:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Bob. A little by the stroke of luck I actually found a real beauty for this campaign.

While researching the different carriers and squadrons embarked on the carriers I came across the first F6F Hellcat ace of WWII, Lt. McWhorter. He participated in the attack on Kwajalein island as part of the close support campaign and also shot down two Japanese aircraft during this short air campaign.

The Eduard Royal Class 1/48 Hellcat set includes McWhorter's F6F-3 Hellcat kit and markings for November 1944. This will be my entry for the campaign.

Reference can been seen at this link and the two pictures below.

http://www.acepilots.com/usn_mcwhorter.html

Those look like they are beautiful kits OOB Jesper. I've always liked the markings on his plane. I'm almost tempted to build an adversary
 _GOTOTOP