Hosted by Darren Baker
VT-34 ARV based on Dragon's T-34/85
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 11:06 AM UTC
The VT-34 is one of the most dynamic ARVs around, With the giant new superstructure of the winch house/ driver's quarters to all the superficial tools and stowage and the spade to boot... I just had to make my own. I actually got the winch house structure done about 4 yrs ago. and it sat on the 'to do' shelf until about a week ago. Hear is the one shot i could find of the basic superstructure!

The Kit(s) used are as follows; Dragon's wonderful Late T-34/85.

and i found this on the bay and am choosing tho use some of the tools and details including the spade. (molded in tan resin) It's the Vt-34 Recovery Vehicle by Planet Models.

Here was the first try at the hatch details copying the resin hatches off of the resin hull of the PM kit!

I didn't like this as much as I thought so this will be corrected with evergreen!
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC
Here are some more pics with quite a few details added! Rivet detail was added to the roof using a pin vice and running Evergreen rod through the holes. The hatches and hinges are also Evergreen stock as well as the mounts (modeled in rod and drilled out) for the tow couples on the front of the superstructure. (Thank God for local train shops!) The hull machine gun mantlet is modeled out of the hull of a loose Revell t-34 with plastic stock added for correct shape. I also used the P.E. from Dragon's kit for all the grills.

panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 11:54 AM UTC
hey andrew these are looking great
i like how youve made the VT
where are you buyin the resin barrel drums for your VT??
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hey andrew these are looking great
i like how youve made the VT
where are you buyin the resin barrel drums for your VT??

The drums are from the Planet Models VT kit, an all resin offering from the Czech republic. They are extremely well produced as i won't have to replace the rear truss rod with brass cuz' the resin is perfect! I am planning to use a lot of the smaller details (although not all) to fine focus this little beauty
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 12:34 PM UTC
Wow, we've had quite the string of small scale conversions based on the T-34 chassis. Makes me think there should have been a campaign going on for you guys!

Great stuff Andrew, I'm liking the barrels/drums and the PE grills.
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi Andrew

This thing looks great ! Is it post WW2 ? I dont think I've seen a picture of one of these before.

Your scratchbuilding skills are really on display, and they don't disappoint ! Keep the Braille scale builds coming, I'm enjoying these unusual soviet builds no end !

cheers
Neil
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 01:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This thing looks great ! Is it post WW2 ? I dont think I've seen a picture of one of these before.

Neil

Thanks Neil! this is a post war conversion of the surplus T's after the war! This will be modeled as a Czech ARV! Here's a link to photos of the real deal.... http://www.vojenskatechnika.sk/vt34/vt34_album.htm and here's a link to one I'm doing in 1/48 https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/138942&page=1 enjoy!
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 04:40 AM UTC
Here is a close up of the front glacis of the winch house with a better angle on the mantlet. I have an MV lens for the head light and I need to add the cable aspect of the tool under the driver's port!

and this shot shows the guide rollers at the door to the main winch as well as some of the grab handles and cleats made from aluminum rod.

more details to come!
matejson
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 239 posts
Armorama: 237 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 05:29 AM UTC
Nice detail
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC
Thanks.. I took care of a lot more details including grab handles and cleats, used the resin guidance gear for the main wench, created the support brackets for the spade out of brass rod, electrical tape and excess PE spru, created one of the jacks and the rack for the missing one using brass and aluminum rod....
and here are some shots and close-ups... the building process is almost over with just a few more details to go.

thanks for check 'em out and comments welcome!

Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 08:41 PM UTC
Andrew,

What an interesting looking vehicle with plenty of detail to boot. Nice, nice job! About how long did this project take you to get it this far?

Good close-up photos. Thanks for sharing.

-Eddy
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andrew,

What an interesting looking vehicle with plenty of detail to boot. Nice, nice job! About how long did this project take you to get it this far?

Good close-up photos. Thanks for sharing.

-Eddy

hey, Eddy, the initial scratch-building of the winch-house took about a full day or two of cutting and measuring and dry fitting, at least that's how i remember as this was actually started a while ago as a break from the other project https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/75790 I was working on. (which is also restarted....wooo hooo) Only the four sides and roof were finished and then it was put away until i had the time to do it right! I started working on it again about three weeks ago, doing a bit of details almost every night. I am really loving this project and stay tuned there will be a lot more soon!
Cheers,
dR3W
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 03:19 PM UTC
here are a couple more photos.... I first airbrushed some JA Green to cut all the rainbow of work out to focus on the remaining details....

I've added handles to all the hatches as well as the fuel drums!
I still have to model the hatch release for the crew compartment out of spare PE!

I have a MV lens for the headlight once the rest of the details are complete and the painting is done.... more to come soon!
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 07:33 PM UTC
Hi Drew

its looking really good.

I like to give my models an overall coat of paint too, before they are finished. (in my case the monotone makes it easier to see where filling or sanding might need some refining, my eyes aren't as strong as they once were )

looking forward to seeing your next update

cheers
Neil

drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 01:55 PM UTC
Another little detail update> While using some of the tools fro the PM kit I noticed the great tow bars that are stowed on either side at the rear fenders. and in dry fitting i noticed i couldn't fit in the elevated tool box between the tow bar and the fuel drum as seen here

So i ran to the local train shopp and dug around till i found something that could reproduce them just at a more "correct" gauge! I found some thin brass tubes and cut two lengths out and added plastic couplers from a T-55 recovery that has been parted out from ACE! Drilled out the cauter pin holes and used a saw and sandpaper to shape them true.

I did have to shorten the height of the tool box just a tad and used evergreen strips for the legs!

That worked out great though the frame for the tool box may be changed to brass as the evergreen is barely hanging on with the bends i gave it!
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
Here's a couple great short videos of what I'm working on! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZlw5qlQ54g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZpsqS_1h_E&feature=related
enjoy and I'll be posting more steps soon!
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 12:18 PM UTC
Andrew,

Thanks for posting those videos. Your vehicle looks exactly like the real deal. Never would have imagined that there would be one still in running condition, let alone two, my goodness! Learn something new everyday. Your project is coming along fine. Keep it coming!

-Eddy
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 12:21 PM UTC
Well done so far with the conversion, looking good.

Anthony
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC
Here's another video showing the towing/ recovery capabilities of the VT and a cool still!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnhIdMj-Rp8
I'll be back on this project this weekend!
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC
awesome build!
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 06:39 AM UTC
Excellent build. It's all about having the right info, the right materials, imagination and the willing to work .

Good job buddy.

P.A.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 03:08 PM UTC
nice scratch and mash

Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi Andrew

good to see your latest progress , part of the challenge (and fun) for a modeller is finding solutions for problems that occur along the way. And thanks for posting the links

cheers
Neil
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 12:34 PM UTC
Got this going again after repairing and cleaning up a little cat-tastrofy >^.^<
Lesson learned... so I got all the wheels drilled out and ready for paint.

and the session will include the full painting of the VT-34.
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 03:21 PM UTC
Here are some new shots with the base coat down after getting some more details finished.

I was able to model the winch spool but can't seem to light it up to shoot it!

I'll post more pics as the painting and weathering continues!
 _GOTOTOP