_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New member, needs help
GunTrk
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:49 PM UTC
I'm trying to build a Gun Truck as a retirement gift for a close friend. What it the best way to get the kits and accessories I need? I've only till Nov. to do this. The RealModel M54 looks great and some of the blogs I've read were super. Not sure if there are inexpensive kits that will create what I'm trying to do. I believe I need an Italeri Big Foot truck kit , then the M54 upgrade. Is this the only way to build these Gun trucks?
I was a great HO/O gauge railroad guy...50 years ago, definitely not on a par with most of you. But willing to give it a go. Any suggestions on sources is appreciated. Keep up the great work.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was a great HO/O gauge railroad guy...

Well there's your answer. Both Roco and Herpa make an M54 in HO. I'd go for better guns, but the kits themselves aren'bad. and the cost is not as prohibitive.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 03:30 AM UTC
If price is an issue, you can convert the modern M900 series truck into a Vietnam-era M54 truck yourself by using an M35 (A1 or A2, or M49A2C) from AFV Club and Italeri's M925 kit. If you can't find the 10-wheeled M925 kit (there is also the M923A1 w/ 6 big wheels), the 5 ton tires are available in resin from Tank Workshop or Real Model. You can also use the tires out of an AFV Club M59 Long Tom or M115 8" gun, with the wheel centers from the M923 or M925 kit added.

Here is a link to a feature by Dave "Animal" Willet showing how to build it.

It can come out pretty good, if I do say so myself. Here is my M54A1 "King Cobra" Guntruck.

It isn't perfect, but looks pretty good. At the time (about 12 years ago), I missed that the front of the hood/grill should be flat across (as opposed to bowed like an M35), and that the frame needed to be shortened. Other than that, it is pretty much correct.

It just depends how confident you are in your abilities.

Good luck.
WarrenD
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 06:31 AM UTC
What kind of guntruck were you looking to do? There is an AFV kit (or was, you should be able to find one) that was based on a deuce with a quad 50 cal mount in the rear. That is likely your one stop solution. The Real Model conversions are based on the Italeri 5-ton kits but....if you get the recommended BigFoot kit, you will also need to get 10 tires for a M54 which neither Real Model or vendors tell you about. Ask me how I know....
The kit you really need for the conversion is the now unavailable commo M54. The Real Model conversion with BigFoot and the 10 tires will be close to $200.
M37 kits aren't available, so forget that.
The M151 was converted to guntruck use and I'm just in the starting stages of doing one named Wolfman. This will require scratchbuilding the armor and some other stuff but not beyond what I can do.
Summary: For a larger Vietnam guntruck, the AFV Nancy kit is probably the easiest and most affordable answer. It has the added benefit of having all the parts in one box. AFV kits aren't easy, but with some prior planning and looking thru the instructions many steps ahead, they turn out well.
GunTrk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was a great HO/O gauge railroad guy...

Well there's your answer. Both Roco and Herpa make an M54 in HO. I'd go for better guns, but the kits themselves aren'bad. and the cost is not as prohibitive.

What I was meanig is that I have background from years ago doing scenes and modeling. I want to do a larger model as this will be presented at a retirement party and is to go on his bookcase. I think 1/50 or there about is a good size. Also easier for me to detail. Just went to the only hobby shop nearby that carries military kits, and they are out of business. Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it too.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 10:41 AM UTC
If you are looking for 1/50 scale, you are out of luck. The closest is 1/48th and there are no M54s or any of the kits needed to convert one in that scale. You need to look for the 1/35 scale kits listed above. You will most likely have to order them on-line or check eBay for them.

Do you know what gun truck he was on? The markings might be an issue too. There are a few decal sets for guntrucks by Archer and Real Model. You will probably have to make them yourself if they are not available though.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 07:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think 1/50 or there about is a good size. Also easier for me to detail. Just went to the only hobby shop nearby that carries military kits, and they are out of business. Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it too.

Revell's Lacrosse is 1/40 scale. They were based on M44s and M45's which utilized the same chassis as the M35. I built one about ten years ago for an employee at Fort Sill when I was a Drill Sergeant there. The kit is not too terribly bad . Most, if not all of the offensive parts would not be used anyway. The trick is finding the weapons. If you're going with .50 cals you MIGHT be able to convert 1/35 .30 cals. Not sure how close that would get you to scale size as I've never done it, but that's the great thing about the hobby-imagination.

If you do consider using it just for fun. DO NOT buy it online. I've seen asking prices in the $70 dollar range. You can still fin dthe repop at shows for about $5.
GunTrk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 03:39 PM UTC
Warren, thanks for the detailed info. I'm an AF vet, but my buddy was in VN. Newport Bridge attack was one of his parties. He drove fuel rigs all over. Told me many stories about these "additions" the GIs added to the trucks. So I'm trying to create a momemto to him and thought this up. I'm looking into the AFV stuff since it was mentioned several places. RealModels look like they are for hardcore military enthusists. $200 I'd rather send him and his wife to dinner and a show in NYC. I appreciate all the input.
GunTrk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 03:57 PM UTC
Robert, thanks for the info. I have to find some show or stores near me. The largest nearby shop in NJ just closed recently so that's part of the quest. They used to carry lots for Revell kits. I even found a AF B-57 model there a few years back. That's what I worked on.
NYC isn't far so I may windup finding things there. 1/35 or 1/40 would be OK for me if they're the popular sizes. I mentioned 1/50 because I thought the RealModel kits were that size. Larger lets me hone long dormant skill better.
WarrenD
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 11:38 PM UTC
George, (and other interested persons!)
I went to the 2010 Gathering of Guntrucks in Carlisle, PA last month. It was great to see all the replica trucks and chat with the original crews. I have several galleries of photos from their visit to the US Army Heritage Education Center at my web gallery: http://www.pbase.com/baywing/gun_truck_gathering
Feel free to look. There are mostly 5 tons, with JT's M35 tribute truck, a pair of M151's and some support vehicles.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
A final thing from me- I totally forgot about the Academy 1/72 scale M35. The scale is large enough to have good detail, as opposed to HO, and accessories abound for this scale. Plus, the kit can be gotten dirt cheap.

Since you friend drove a fuel truck, Armo makes a fuel truck in 1/72, along with, drumroll please... An M35A2 quad .50 gun truck.
GunTrk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 12:50 PM UTC
Gadzooks.I wish I had known about that.......! I go there all the time for my classic cars parts. Never knew they did that also. Any other show in NY/NJ/PA area you are aware of?
GunTrk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 12:52 PM UTC
I'll certainly look into those. I may find this a hobby soon. I'm really thankful for the helpful atmosphere here.
WarrenD
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gadzooks.I wish I had known about that.......! I go there all the time for my classic cars parts. Never knew they did that also. Any other show in NY/NJ/PA area you are aware of?

Things are pretty much done for this year as far as MV shows in the northeast. Gilbert, PA was just last weekend, another good show with 7 weasels.

Next show I know of is in northern NJ in April, the MTA show. Check the net for Military Transport Association for info.
 _GOTOTOP