_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Danbury was kickin it. Amps East
CB1000h
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 03:58 AM UTC
The two day event in Danbury was a great success.
The weekend went off without a hitch due to all the hard work by Georg and the rest of the staff and judges. "Thanks Pumkin"
Many great models were displayed and after I had judges about 6 sifts over the weekend it seamed may modelers were moving up in class from int. to adv.
I manage to keep my spending to a minimum "right". I still purchased enough that the covert mission to get everything into the house under the watchful eye of my wife was still no easy task.
Unfortunatly I walk out of the house on Fir without my camera (duh)
So I cant provide any pics but the onhand photographer managed to snap a pic of every model displayed which Im sure will be posted soon
Again I would like to thank Georg and everyone else for hosting a great time
Wayne
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 05:22 AM UTC
I had a great time seeing friends and acquaintances. Matt Toms insisted on giving me $3 I'd overpaid last year (a man of true principle), and I promptly invested in it some Grex supplies, LOL. Matt's a trye gentleman, and does a great job of putting on a very efficient event.

While I could only attend Friday until about 2PM (hey, some of us are still working, LOL), I got press-ganged into judging by the impossible-to-say-no-to Georg Eyerman. The quality of the entries was very high, and I was impressed by the level of work, the knowledge of the vehicles displayed by their builders, and enjoyed rating each entry against a standard instead of looking for the "gold," "silver" and "bronze" medalists. Given the number of models they were expecting, it was the only fair and reasonable solution. I hope someone will post photos of the winners.

The vendor room was chock-a-block with kits, diorama supplies and resources, though unfortunately for me, the Panzer Wrecks and Panzer Tracts folks were not coming until later in the day or Saturday. Again, I hope someone will let us know how that worked out. Books are sadly often neglected, one reason I try to review as many of them as I can here. It's funny how a little information can turn a kit into something pretty nifty.

There were bargains to be had, too-- did someone get the DML Type SSY 60 ton Plattformwagen? It was only $29 and is long OOP. I thought long and hard about picking it up, but sanity intervened, since I have the Tank Workshop Type SSyms 80 ton version new in the stash. Like Nixon once said, "we could, but it would be wrong."

I told my wife when I got home I'm a piker at far less than 100 kits in the stash compared with the gentleman I met who has 1,600 kits (you read that right), including an entire battery of Atomic cannons! The mind boggles, and producers of "Hoarders" may want to contact him, LOL. But she wasn't biting on that one, so I said nothing more and figured I should quit while behind....
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Very big "Thank You!" to everyone who volunteered, got volunteered, got strong-armed and/or shanghaied into judging. But this was hardly the work of one person. Matt, Bill, John, Neil, Doc and Thom (in no particular order) worked like madmen leading up to the event to ensure that everything ran smoothly. The work everyone did was nothing short of fantastic. I believe my blood pressure stayed in the triple digits on Friday and Saturday. Those who judged kept ahead of the wave of entries, so we were never "swamped." I hope everyone who attended and participated had a great time, because I sure did. See you at next year's show!
Regards,
Georg
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 07:04 AM UTC
It was a great show,lots of entries,and a really loaded vendor room,looking foward to next year.
CB1000h
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 07:55 AM UTC
You are correct Georg it was the contribution of many that made for a great show
I just could not remember all the names
You guys did a great job the extra day definatley paid off making it smoother running
and I enjoyed judging even though it will be a week before the twist comes out of my arm no just kidding it was my pleasure.
Looking forward to next year Drop me an email if you need any help for that
By the way I will hold on to your "E" for you till next year
Wayne

P.S. could you make the judges remarks section bigger on the forms for next year
BillGorm
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 08:31 AM UTC
I had a blast yesterday, so thanks to all for pulling the event together. I got a couple great reference books, some friuls, and a pair of badly needed PE shears. Best of all, I got to sit in on Rob Ferreira's seminar on creating rust effects ... very cool. Anyway, here are some photos of my favorites from the show:

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 12:45 PM UTC
I had a wonderful time, as usual. This year, I can honestly say, it was the nicest-as in relaxing for me- show I've attended.
Was great to see people I get to see only once or twice a year.
Mike thanks for Friday night dinner.

My photos will be up in a day or two.
Once again I believe I managed to get at least one photo of each model.
But of course it is possible I missed someone unintentionally.
redleg12
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had a wonderful time, as usual. This year, I can honestly say, it was the nicest-as in relaxing for me- show I've attended.
Was great to see people I get to see only once or twice a year.
Mike thanks for Friday night dinner.

My photos will be up in a day or two.
Once again I believe I managed to get at least one photo of each model.
But of course it is possible I missed someone unintentionally.

Dave - It was an honor and a pleasure to have dinner with you. Talking with you and others is what truly makes the show. The models are great but the social side is priceless. Thank you.
I can totally agree with you that this show was outstanding, relaxing and enjoyable.

"And then the fight started"!!

Rounds Complete!!
 _GOTOTOP