_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Next Urban Diorama Campaign
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC
Okay with the Miniart Campaign over it's time to discuss the next Diorama campaign. The theme would be Urban Dioramas.

Rather than restrict it to Miniart dio accessories I'd like to open it up to any Dio Accessories including scratchbuilt.

The time and place would be any urban setting anywhere in the world from WW1 to the present. My thinking is it should include at least one vehicle and figures.

I'm open to any input on what should shouldn't be included as well as the timeframe. At the moment there are no dio campaigns planned so I would be hoping to start in spring - maybe March and run it for maybe 9 months or a year?

So lets have your ideas
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 08:25 AM UTC
Pat,
Sounds good to me> When are you going to start it?
Tom
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
Pat: I like your thought of opening this campaign up to other manufacturer's products as well as scratchbuilding. This will allow each entrant to push their skills accordingly based on how advanced their modeling techniques are. I encourage you not to alter this requirement.

March 2011 is a good starting time. I encourage a 12month build as well. These will undoubtedly be big projects again, and people who choose to scratchbuild will need even more time.
Not to mention the slew of campaign going on atm...

Regarding the requirements for a vehicle and figures, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I myself will add both, but there will be those who want to focus on figures, and those who want to perhaps model a knocked out vehicle abandoned in the city? Just some thoughts on how to balance this, an entrant would have to meet the minimum requirements of either:
1) One vehicle + two figures
2) One large vehicle
3) 5 figures

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 11:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Regarding the requirements for a vehicle and figures, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I myself will add both, but there will be those who want to focus on figures, and those who want to perhaps model a knocked out vehicle abandoned in the city? Just some thoughts on how to balance this, an entrant would have to meet the minimum requirements of either:
1) One vehicle + two figures
2) One large vehicle
3) 5 figures

Hi Jeremy I like the idea of various options- that works for me.
anti-hero
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 307 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 12:27 PM UTC
Pat,
I love the idea and I think the options Jeremy threw out there are good ones. March '11 works great for too.

So you can count me in on this one!
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 12:50 PM UTC
good suggestions on the number of items in the dio Jeremy, cool stuff. just one question, if the scene is countryside with a farm building is that still "urban" ?

either way i'm in. cheers bd
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 01:23 PM UTC
Pat, As I missed the Miniart Campaign this one sonuds good to me. I also like Jerermy's Idea of :
One Vehicle plus 2 Figures or
One Large Vehicle or
Four or more Figures.
My 2 cents worth, milvehfan
captnenglish
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 01:51 PM UTC
I'm in! I've got two pieces planned (possibly a third).
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

good suggestions on the number of items in the dio Jeremy, cool stuff. just one question, if the scene is countryside with a farm building is that still "urban" ?

either way i'm in. cheers bd

Bruce
If we restrict it to Urban setting that leaves us free to run a Rural Diorama next but maybe if your farm building is on the edge of the village then it'd be okay
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 02:29 AM UTC
Pat,
I'll chime in here, I too like Jeremy suggestions but the question I have is could the vehicle and figures be from other campaigns or does it all have to be completely new builds Like the Eastern European Steel Campaign starts in March 11, could I do say like a urban Stalingrad setting with a vehicle being built for that campaign
Either way I will still be in
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC
hi Pat,
i see the logic of keeping the Rural Theme for another campaign as it would allow for examples of putting together landscaping, vegetation and various groundwork techniques.

look forward to another round as the last campaign was so well run and chock full of great tips and finished dioramas. cheers, bd.
stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
it sound good to me, but would it have to include a figure, because after just recently re-watching band of brothers, i have found a fair few urbandioramas that i am interested in. i have also just come up with a new diorama ide that does not include a vehicle in it and to put one in it would just ruin it totally.
anyway great idea for a campaign mate.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it sound good to me, but would it have to include a figure, because after just recently re-watching band of brothers, i have found a fair few urban dioramas that I am interested in. I have also just come up with a new diorama ide that does not include a vehicle in it and to put one in it would just ruin it totally.
anyway great idea for a campaign mate.

The way we're looking at this now Stanley is that you would have three choices to include in the Urban Diorama Campaign

An Urban Dio containing
A: A vehicle- anything from a motorcycycle upwards plus at least two figures.

or

B: A single large vehicle- a large tank, truck, ARV etc with no figures.

or

C: At least 4 figures

Stanley, it sounds like you have an idea for a dio with a vehicle but no figures and one for a dio with figures but no vehicle so why not build them both?

I think in campaigns like this we should try to stretch our skills a little bit so if, like me, figures are not some modelers strong point, this is an opportunity to work on them. Likewise if some modelers just build figures this is a chance to work on a vehicle.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pat,
I'll chime in here, I too like Jeremy suggestions but the question I have is could the vehicle and figures be from other campaigns or does it all have to be completely new builds Like the Eastern European Steel Campaign starts in March 11, could I do say like a urban Stalingrad setting with a vehicle being built for that campaign
Either way I will still be in

Since the focus of the campaign will be on the Buildings and setting then including figures and vehicles from other campaigns will be allowed
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:16 PM UTC
Okay I'm submitting the campaign today with the following text and rules:

Some of the fiercest fighting in any war takes place in towns and cities. Stalingrad, Caen, Kharkov, Hue, Aachen etc. This campaign allows modelers to test their skills creating an Urban diorama.

Urban Warfare diorama campaign
1) This is a diorama campaign so any dio or vignette showing an urban environment is acceptable
2) The buildings can be kits built out of the box, combined with other kits, scratchbuilt or converted using wood, plaster, cork etc.
3) The dio must include : A : A single large vehicle- a large tank, truck, ARV etc with no figures.
B: One or more vehicles- anything from a motorcycles upwards plus at least two figures.
C: At least 4 figures.
Note: Since the focus of the campaign will be on the buildings and setting then including figures and vehicles from other campaigns will be allowed
4) Any time period the Buildings are suitable for will be accepted
5) Multiple submissions are acceptable but only one ribbon will be awarded.
6) Three photos of the completed item are required for award of the ribbon.
7) Work must be started and completed within the designated timeframe.

Some of the fiercest fighting in any war takes place in towns and cities. Stalingrad, Caen, Kharkov, Hue, Aachen etc. This campaign allows modelers to test their skills creating an Urban Warfare diorama.

Campaign to run for 12 months from March 1 2011 to March 1 2012
Anybody want to add or change anything?
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 01:16 AM UTC
ready to enlist Pat, looking forward to it. cheers, bd.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 02:15 AM UTC
sounds good Pat, now I have to get a thinking to what I'm gonna build
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 452 posts
Armorama: 271 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 04:33 AM UTC
Pat, I'm definitely interested! I really like the rules and setup of this campaign, and since I have yet to include any buildings with my models, I can certainly use the help this campaign will provide.
sfctur1
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 07:04 AM UTC
Pat,
I'm in that 1 year to complete is great.
Tom
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 07:21 AM UTC
Sounds great Pat, standing by to enlist
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 09:11 AM UTC
Cool, we need one more interested to be approved
Marnix
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 799 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

CXool, we need one more interested to be approved

I guess that's me, count me in again...

Max
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 10:03 AM UTC
I'm in ........again
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
Great- Campaign proposal submitted

Anyone thinking of a modern dio? Marines fighting in Hue City or something based in Grozny or Beirut maybe?
I was thinking of Stalingrad or maybe Aachen in WW2 myself but I'm tempted to go modern for this one.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 10:31 AM UTC
I've actually been thinking of a modern urban dio for this one, thinking 2003. I'll have to do some more research on what's available out there, but I would like to include some Air Force Spec Ops figures in it...
 _GOTOTOP