_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
chains on halftrack
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC
I've seen chains on the front tires, but not on the tracks themselves. Was this common? The vehicle is the M3 modified with a 40mm Bofors in use in the Philippines, against the Yamashita line.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 02:57 PM UTC
There are chains on the tracks:
jeepman
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 03:09 PM UTC
There is what looks to be a ordinance manual photo in R.P.Hunnicutt,s Halftrack showing chains on the tracks.IMHO the reason you do not see many photos of them in action in use is that they look like they would take some time to install and remove.Also a set of two chains would take up a lot of room in or on the halftrack when not in use.Just my opinion.
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 06:23 AM UTC
Reson for chains....REALLY BAD MUD....Look at those road wheels

I am sure, especiall with the weight on the back end of the half track that they tried anything!!! I would bet this was a field modification!!

Rounds Complete!!
jeepman
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 02:31 PM UTC
Redleg, As I stated above,this is not a field mod.I just found a picture in the Concord book,US Halftracks in Combat 1941-1945,on page 59 of a French 2nd Armored Division halftrack eguipped with the same set of chains.This is about as far from the Pacific as you can get.Also in the Ian Allan publishing book,Military Vehicles in Detail series,US Half-tracks,M2-M3-M5-M9,there is a photo on page 25 showing the tool used to install the chain on the track.This photo is credited to the tech manual.Just for your info.
jeepman
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 12:09 AM UTC
[quote]Redleg, As I stated above,this is not a field mod.I just found a picture in the Concord book,US Halftracks in Combat 1941-1945,on page 59 of a French 2nd Armored Division halftrack eguipped with the same set of chains.This is about as far from the Pacific as you can get.Also in the Ian Allan publishing book,Military Vehicles in Detail series,US Half-tracks,M2-M3-M5-M9,there is a photo on page 25 showing the tool used to install the chain on the track.This photo is credited to the tech manual.If by field mod you mean the 40 mm I agree this is a field mod.
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 01:59 AM UTC
Track chains are most definitely not a field mod, these are standard issue and don't take up all that much room when fitted into their own respective bags and stowed under the rear seats.

They are covered in fairly great depth in both TM 9-707 and TM 9-710 which shows not only several pictures of installation but maintenance and stowing of these chains as well.

HTH

redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 02:24 AM UTC
I bow to the TM......thanks for the correction

I would not want to carry all that chain

Rounds Complete!!
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would not want to carry all that chain

Well Mike,

you could always just hang them on the side if you wanted, of course you'll risk getting stuck that way.

_GOTOTOP