Hosted by Darren Baker
Critiques welcome - scratch built building
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC
So, here is an update on one of my projects. The corner scene. Got some good feedback from my last posts and will be changing the diorama around a bit overall. Decided to keep the bay window and change the location to better suite the structure.
The bay window is the only kit. The rest is scratch. Sculpy stone details, rsin cast duplicate parts, Kancali molds for the windowsills cast from resin. The railing is fabricated from office clips and wire.

Questions, comments, feeback are all welcome.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 02:24 AM UTC
Lookin' good Scott!
Cheers!
Rick
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 04:05 AM UTC
pretty tricked out building Scott. really like the railing setup. though the bay window is well made i am not sure it suits the scale of the building mainly that it sits nearly to the ground. could just be that it is a different colour right now and once painted and blended into the structure it will mesh better.

you may want to add a door jamb to the inside of the doorway to match the windows is all i could suggest. great work. cheers, bd.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Scott, To me the Bay window makes the house look unbalanced. Perhaps when the rest of the structure is finished it will look right. It also looks like a bay window for an upper story. I did a quick search for "House with bay window" and it's unusual to see a bay window on the ground floor without a smaller window above it.

Forgive the crude photoshopping but here are three alternatives that make the house look balanced to my eyes

Women for some reason love bay windows- a house could be falling down but if it has a bay window they'll love it
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback guys. This bay window on this floor/location was intentional. The building will be a focal corner building overlooking. A courtyard of sorts. It will be a triangular scene and this window will be the 'point'. I do realize it is 'heavy' and when I saw the Bruces comment I started to think how I could modify it to balance it. Pat your first Photoshop is GREAT. I'm gluing to go with something like that that turns it from a bay window into an outcropped type of window.

Thank you thank you.
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:00 PM UTC
Yo Scott,

Mutch better now.

My only point is the stone that lays/stand on top of the roof from the bay windows. Scale down this stone or use something else. Its overrated in my opinion.

Greetz Nico
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 11:26 PM UTC
Hi Scott,
I agree with Pat, the third photo is from scenic point of wiew the best solution.Unbalaced thing hanging over the head of people adds dramatism to the scene, in this case the bay window hanging do it.
cheers
Carlos
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC
Thanks guys, great suggestions and comments. I'll have to consider the profess Ive already got in and see what makes sense to integrate.

Thanks.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 03:11 PM UTC
Whatever you do, I'm sure it's safe to say that we're all looking forward to see what you come up with
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC
Well here is the progress.. slow to say the least. I know I didn't/wasn't able to take all of your suggestions into account. I do think what I was able to incorporate does make it much better.
This is very much a work in progress. I'm at the point where I can't really work on the separate pieces without it being on the base.
Still to do on the build: railings, detail below the window, seams and base integration.
Haven't worked out all the people yet either. Still have to load up the deuce and a half, and finish the Sherman.
Suggestions, comments - all open

meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC
i absolutely agree with you Scott, it is much better to have the physical pieces to place on the diorama to get the best "feel" for the composition.

one thing i usually do is place the various elements on a large sheet of paper before even deciding what size the base will be. this way the base suits my needs rather than me "filling the base up" to make it look right.

i really like the angle everything is laid out on and the way the arc of the sidewalk leads the eye around the scene, very nicely planned. cheers, bd.
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi Scott,

Regarding the bow window, I was visiting my aunt living in Blois, and her house got a bow window exactely like yours, on the ground level, next to the park surrounding the house.
You composition looks goods, I agree with Bruce, the angle of the "corner" is really nice and appealing. I remember that in your previous post you were talking of a café with tables around the fountain. Did you maintain such idea ? Then the house could de a café, the two girls waitress and gi's sitting round the foutain.

keep up the good work

Julien
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 05:05 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Nice to hear that bow windows at the ground floor are ok to have.
The cafe would be accomplished with a couple small tables and chairs outside. I am almost sure I'll do it, the space is a bit open. Maybe move the fountain out about 10mm for a bit of table space.
Putting all the components on paper really does help lay it out a get placements going and I will custom make a base from the final size.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC
Measure twice - cut once.
Measure twice - cut ONCE!!
I just spent an hour cutting a base two inches too short!!!!!!!!!!!!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 10:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We've all done something similar Scott.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

LOL, i feel with you :-)

The layout is ok for me! Have fun with the painting!

Cheers

Claude
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC
The house looks good now. You got a bustling street corner there with girls, priest, and soldiers. The flow of vehicles around the sidewalk was a great idea. Will be an interesting dio to look through when it's done.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 07:21 AM UTC

here's an update on this project...
Still more to do, some type of interior to give some impression of structure and 'life' . I have to weather the door, finish the barrel, weather the whole thing more to unify it all.
Thoughts, comments,....
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 07:57 AM UTC
Small sugestion Scott. If you are potarying a large town I would get rid of the barrel for the down spout. Most I have seen go to the drain system for the street. Even my house that's 100 plus years old had them conected to the street system. Just continue it into the side walk straight down with a small collar to the bottom drain. So far I really like your house. Scratch built ones are always more pleasing to the eye as you don't see the same building on other dios. Makes your's unique. I also like the painting as it looks faded and washed out to a degree like most skimed overs do. Nice job.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thoughts, comments,....

No, not really :-), looks ok for now, i don't really fall in love with the window color, but with more weathering on the facade they may blend in.

I would also probably prefer not to have the same covering on the street as on the boardwalk. Perhaps change a bit the colors of one or the other?

A chimney for the house perhaps?

Cheers

Claude

slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 09:17 AM UTC
In the photo I'm not a fan of the window color either. It's just "OK". Maybe a green to pull off the railings.

I like the chimney idea. hmm, no where to put it? Not much exterior room, maybe just one poking out the roof.

The street is actually a uniform square cobble, while the sidewalk is very random. It is a bit hard to see with the same colors. The street will get big dose of light dusting pastels. Maybe a darker filter first, then pastels, to set the two apart.

Bob - thanks for the barrel tip. A bit bummed because I thought I found a use for the barrel. Better accurate than not though, so I'll work on getting that better.
Maybe the barrel will just go elsewhere??

Thanks guys.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 09:19 AM UTC
Looks a lot better painted up. Nice job. How about making some flower boxes for under the bay windows................. .....Al
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 10:55 AM UTC
I've got plans for the side of the bay window - big planters.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the chimney idea. hmm, no where to put it? Not much exterior room, maybe just one poking out the roof.

Indeed, there is not a lot of room. Your hypothetical layout of the rooms and wall separations need to be taken into acount.
That sayed, i see a bit of a problem here, as you have a potential big room behind the bay window, but where is the entrance door leading then? Straight into this room!
Let's forget that for now and remember this potential trap for the next building.

Putting the chimney in the left ot right corner, near the bay window, leads to a relatively small area on the roof, in the angle area where the chimney would looks a bit cramped.

Your house is cut at the end ?
So my proposition would be to put the chimney right there at the end of either the left or right roof side, the argument being, that under it is a separation wall, coninsiding with your cutting, the inside chimney (and of course the protruding piece) can be placed every where then.

I would draw it on your house, but i have no such software intalled here on my office PC. Hope you understand what i am talking about.

Claude
 _GOTOTOP